Old 08-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fairview, TX
Vessel Name: Gray Eagle
Vessel Model: 1985 35" CHB
Chicago Marinas

Suggestions for Chicago marinas? Thanks.
jnvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
Guru

Sorry, I can't help....but I can say that the annual loopie hoard is on its way down the west coast of Michigan.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Question is what do you want to do in Chicago? If you plan to spend some time touring the city, three suggestions:

DuSable on the near north side near Navy Pier and Michigan Ave. Burnham on the near south side near the museum campus. Burnham puts transients on the T docks at the end of each dock. Both DuSable and Burnham are within long walks to everything in the downtown area. Both have access to excellent bus networks.

For the closest to the loop (downtown), and the greatest views the mooring balls at Monroe Harbor are great. You must use (security) the harbor provided launches to get back and forth from the boat. Good system and part of the nominal nightly charge. If you take a mooring ball stay away from the center opening of the breakwall if you can. As of yesterday there were plenty of open mooring balls.

If you plan on spending time in Hyde Park (University of Chicago) then the 31st street marina could be considered.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #4

City: Louisville, Ky
Vessel Name: Mint Julep
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53' RPH
We've stayed at DuSable Harbor twice and found it more convenient to major downtown attractions than Burnham. Magnificent views of the city skyline at night and very close to the Navy Pier. Be sure and visit the Corinthian Yacht Club next door for a drink on their top deck.

Captain Bob
rshirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We will be in Hammond this coming weekend if the lake drops from it's forecasted 7' seas on Friday.

Hammond Marina is close to the Calumet channel which will be busy over the Labor Day weekend.

The marina is very big with good fuel prices before entering highly taxed IL, I called them and they have plenty of dockage available at good transient pricing.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Gwkiwi

What is your airdraft? I had thought that the Defever 49s were too high to make the trip south from Chicago.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I can get it down to 19' without lowering the arch which means I have to go through the channel south of Chicago.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote