Old 05-22-2016, 06:07 AM   #21
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I don't do "politically correct". I call a spade a spade, not a long handled digging implement.
Clearly Global Warming.

Which is why the world governments like having conferences to pat themselves on the back and what a wonderful job they are doing to limit greenhouse gases. Didn't Obama attend one of those conferences recently?

What is unstated are the uncertainty of the solutions. In other words, we could stop putting any CO2 in the atmosphere tomorrow and it's certainly not clear what would happen in the long run.

But our focus on HCCC allows us to ignore problems we could actually solve like over-fishing, stopping toxic runoff and maybe even trying to save the 4 women who are killed each day in Pakistan in honor killings.

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #22
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Global warming, or global cooling has nothing to do with the Chesapeake die off. The seal levels were much higher and also much lower in ages past. Life gets along fine with changes in climate, but life and human pollution do not.

Increase in CO2 makes green things grow better, so do warmer temps. Scaremongers are looking for dollars as in government research handouts and make speeches and have fame to fuel their 'global warming' lifestyles.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #23
FF
Guru

The area of drainage that goes into the Chesse is huge.

Simply banning lawn fertilizer for home owners and municipal areas might solve the problem.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #24
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I guess the operative word is "zones." We were Rockfishing last Tuesday just south of the Choptank and did OK. My totally unscientific take is that the Bay has so many streams feeding it, it would seem that the pollution impact would be highly variable in a body of water that enormous. These are from last year.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #25

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
Reduce the limit size of Rockfish: they love juvenile Blue Crab and peelers. Bigger fish eat more, therefore reducing the survival rate of crabs. Crabs help clean the Bay. When they started raising the limit size on Rockfish the crab population began to suffer. My dad was a commercial crabber and over the last 25 years I have gotten to know many crabbers. They will say the same thing.

And AG runoff is a huge problem in the Bay which gets little airtime in the news.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #26
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanddreamer View Post
Reduce the limit size of Rockfish: they love juvenile Blue Crab and peelers. Bigger fish eat more, therefore reducing the survival rate of crabs. Crabs help clean the Bay. When they started raising the limit size on Rockfish the crab population began to suffer. My dad was a commercial crabber and over the last 25 years I have gotten to know many crabbers. They will say the same thing.

And AG runoff is a huge problem in the Bay which gets little airtime in the news.

Yeah, but that's one of those balance issues. Reducing the size limit on striped bass often also means more people catch more "keepers" -- which can in turn impact rockfish levels, too. There's probably a sweet spot in there somewhere, but it's also probably a moving target from year to year.

Ag run-off gets mentioned a lot around here.

Sewage spills.... hit or miss...

-Chris
Old 05-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #27
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
A read of Michener's "Chesapeake" I found interesting in this regard, forty years ago!

And Richard, you are so right. With the unfettered chasing of whatever global warming is, the real world air and water issues indeed get neglected.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
None of this is true. A study that was issued a few years ago had many doubters so they ordered another. The estimates of sea level rise were slightly less (still a lot, 1.5+ meters I think). And new regulations have and are being developed from this metric.
North Carolina Sea Level Rises Despite State Senators - Scientific American

Are you disputing this, or the fact that Barney would indeed be the smartest man in NC government?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
North Carolina Sea Level Rises Despite State Senators - Scientific American

Are you disputing this, or the fact that Barney would indeed be the smartest man in NC government?
In many coastal areas land subsidence is as much an issue as real terms water level rising. The net effect is the same but causation totally different.

There are (as of now anyway) no grants or government funds available to blame white males for continental drift and magmatic fluid actions.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #30
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
In many coastal areas land subsidence is as much an issue as real terms water level rising. The net effect is the same but causation totally different.

There are (as of now anyway) no grants or government funds available to blame white males for continental drift and magmatic fluid actions.
Now that you mention it, I wondered who was to blame.

Thanks for pointing it out.

the Trials will start tomorrow, with sentencing the day after.
We do not expect any acquittals.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #31
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I listened to an NPR story on some islands on the Louisiana coast that are eroding away and flooding often. The whole discussion centered around rising sea level. NOWHERE in the discussion was any mention of land subsidence, which is apparently a big driver of the issue at that location. Kind of blew their credibility for me. It was more a plug for HCCC and not a reporting piece. Shame.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #32

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yeah, but that's one of those balance issues. Reducing the size limit on striped bass often also means more people catch more "keepers" -- which can in turn impact rockfish levels, too. There's probably a sweet spot in there somewhere, but it's also probably a moving target from year to year.

Ag run-off gets mentioned a lot around here.

Sewage spills.... hit or miss...

-Chris
Agree completely - and the appetite for crab meat hasn't lessened either. A lot of the Bay issues can be coming down the Susquehanna as far as runoff or sewage is concerned - and that river passes through a lot of agricultural area.

Occasionally you will see sewage issues on the news in Baltimore City that end up draining directly into the Bay. The infrastructure in B'More is so old it happens with alarming frequency. There was a news article in the last two weeks that said sea grasses have really come back. I know that in my marina you can see it out to the first 3 pr 4 slips. Glad for the environment but heck on the sea strainer...
Old 05-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Land sinking is a proven fact in Norfolk the land is sinking.
The reason is during the ice age, heavy massive ice sheets depressed the land further up north. So when that earth was displaced, it bulged further down south where the ice was not existing or much thinner.

So now the bulge of the earth is flattening out as the heavy ice sheet is gone.

Simply to demonstrate, push your foot into mud or sand, and the surface beyond your foot bulges up past your foot.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #34
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I love eating oysters but I absolutely refuse to buy or even eat any harvested from the Chesapeake or the Gulf of Mexico due to the contamination situation in both locations.
You are living under the delusion that your server really knows where the oysters on the menu come from. And that the resturant would tell you the truth anyway.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #35

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
The Magothy is fresh water...Don't oysters need salt?
It's actually brackish, I think. The oyster reef in the main part of the river is doing well.
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #36
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The area of drainage that goes into the Chesse is huge.

Simply banning lawn fertilizer for home owners and municipal areas might solve the problem.
Or, as I posted above, ban humans.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #37
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I listened to an NPR story .............
There's your problem. NPR and the like are not news organizations, they are propaganda organizations.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #38
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I love eating oysters but I absolutely refuse to buy or even eat any harvested from the Chesapeake or the Gulf of Mexico due to the contamination situation in both locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I listened to an NPR story on some islands on the Louisiana coast that are eroding away and flooding often. The whole discussion centered around rising sea level. NOWHERE in the discussion was any mention of land subsidence, which is apparently a big driver of the issue at that location. Kind of blew their credibility for me. It was more a plug for HCCC and not a reporting piece. Shame.
Mr. RT, with all due respect, you are misinformed on the Oysters from the Gulf. Apalachicola oysters are the best quality in the world, and while facing some shortages due to reduction of fresh water flow from the river, there are no issues due to contamination.

Ski. I heard that same thing, it got me pretty hot. Have you ever read Bayou Farewell? It does a great job explaining the land loss in South Louisiana. While global warming may have some small effect, the big issue is the channeling of the Mississippi River. NPR just used the opportunity to further their cause, right or wrong. The state of the media in this country is nauseating.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #39
FF
Guru

"Or, as I posted above, ban humans."

the solution to most problems begin at home.

What ammo should I send so you can remove your family from the polution stream?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:43 AM   #40
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
DougCole is absolutly right. When our oysters are shut down, they test before they allow harvest, I always enjoy a box of Apalachicola Oysters. You cant miss them they have a light green shell and taste is out of this world. Our oysters are a lot more salty.
FF, I'm not a fan of banning humans so you don't need to send me any shells...

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote