Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
RE: Checklists

Quote:
jleonard wrote:

My 1983 Ford Lehman does NOT have this protection (a neutral safety switch).

J,* I have the same engine the same year with a borg warner gear, the neutral safety switch is on the side of the transmssion, with 2 wires attached.

JohnP
Attached Images

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #22
Guru

Checklists

Quote:
JohnP wrote:jleonard wrote:

My 1983 Ford Lehman does NOT have this protection (a neutral safety switch).

J,* I have the same engine the same year with a borg warner gear, the neutral safety switch is on the side of the transmssion, with 2 wires attached.

JohnP
*Yes I know what it looks like and know where it would be located....I don't have one. No evidence there ever was one.*

Screwed me up once...the time I lost power in the Harlem river due to an air bubble in the fuel system on my initial delivery voyage. *Part of the reason I had trouble getting running was because the engine was in gear...wasn't very far off center on the shifter, but enough to be in gear and slow the engine down while cranking...hence the difficulty starting.* Wife screamed out that we were moving* meaning we unhooked...but it was movement because the prop was turning with the starter. Freaky but that gave me the clue I needed at the time to get running. Funny how stuff happens sometimes.

*By the way that was the LAST time I saw the old Yankee Stadium....I was looking up at it when I was calling the CG...that's how I reported my position "in the Harlem River looking up at Yankee Stadium". They knew where I was.

-- Edited by jleonard on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 06:13:00 PM

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #23

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Quote:
koliver wrote:
There are "list people".
I am not one of those.
*And that includes Honey Do lists.* We had that discussion 41 years ago and we are still happily married!
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

We do lists for lots of different kinds of trips. Trying to reduce the chance of going kayaking without a paddle. And I have started to back out of the slip with the power cord still attached but fortunately I've never stretched it. I always seem the remember in the nick of time or someone on the float sees it and saves my. I like shower shoes in the harbor showers and finally stopped forgetting those. We're going on a fairly long trip quite soon and will drag out all the old lists while loading up the boat. Getting all the things aboard for a trip is often a frustrating chore and the lists help. Chris is better organized and likes the lists less. I like them and tend to take them along and add the forgotten things as I go for the next time so the list gets better all the time. So I'll probably have my shower shoes and tooth brush in Sitka next month.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I dont have check list but I do double/triple check things.* Being a live aboard a lot of things that might be on other boaters list as already on the boat and do routine weekly and monthly maintenance items.* I do have a list I made for my wife, how to start the engine/gen set, but she has not interest.* In 16 years she ben in the engine room maybe 1/2 dozen time, but only to help me as I do not have three arms/hands.*
Each fall the fuel/oil fluids/filters are changed so there should be no maintenance required in the spring/summer.* This year the preventive maintenance is replace all the high pressure fuel/oil lines, which I will keep on the boat as back up. Still look to be in good shape but 10 years old.* *I keep a full set of hoses, belts, filters, impellors and full set of tools required. My mechanic does not bring parts or tools as they are already on the boat, but if used he replaces them. *
This Sunday having a diver check and clean the zincs, though hulls and running gear.* The bow thruster zincs will be replaced, the other zincs should be OK, and the prop and maybe a few areas need to be cleaned of barnacles.* Also have him evaluate if the bottom needs to be painted this years, which will be done second week in September.* *******
So its basically; check out of gear, check fluid levels, open through hulls, switch batteries to on, push start button, walk to stern deck to check water flow, check forward and reverse gear, feel/listen/watch engines while disconnecting power cord and lines which left on the dock as we have a full set on the boat. For the protect water of Puget Sound we do not store and/or take down stuff.

So if you do routine maintenance, and set things the list is short.** My admiral does not leave me Honey Due list.* However, I do leave list/notes for the admiral, please put your dirty close in the laundry as I can do the laundry, Please clean/pick your room so I can vacuum/dust.* *Please go though your stack of papers/mail, so I can take out the garbage.* *******
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
Per
Guru

there are other ways to remember stuff.
in aviation lots of acronyms are used.
example is CIGARS for a pre-take off:
C: controls free and correct
I: instruments set, compass dialed in etc.
G: Gas on proper tanks, boosters on etc.
A: Attitude (set trims and take off flaps if required)
R: Run up (set brakes, run engine(s) up to preset rpm and verify oil pressure etc)
S: Seat belts (check belts are on your pax and inform them emergency escape route)

you could easily adapt to someting similar for boating (for those non lists folks out there).
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

old stone, we spend most weekends on the boat and we are to the point we cannot remember whether stuff is at home or on the boat.* Food, beer,*clothes, tools, etc.** Drives us nuts.* Last weekend as we left my husband told me to remind him he does not need to bring any clothes for this weekend!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
OK - It has just come to me.....it's not what I would put on a list, it's WHERE WOULD I PUT THE LIST TO REMEMBER IT EXISTS? All my adult life I have had a problem...Houses, no problem, garages, no problem, work shop, no problem, at-work, no problem, cars, no problem, then WHY is it that no matter what my good intententions are when I first get a new boat, within weeks, not only do I not remember where the tool is (actually, any item of any nature and any description), but I seem to forget there is one on board (until of course I purchase a new one, then miraculously, the old one appears). I have tried everything ! Problem is.......I don't know I can't find it until I need it because I already forgot I HAVE it.

Does anyone have a medicine or cure for this affliction? It seems, for me, the only exceptions to this phenomina are the two steering wheels, the bilge pump switches, and the beer or booze on board. And I hardly even drink! Perhaps that's the problem. HELP !!
*My problem is sometime the same as yours but there are times when the Admiral starts to "clean up" and she puts stuff in a place because "it fits in that hole".* Never mind that plumbing parts are next to the duct tape and wiring items are with some other plumbing, the only reason was it fit there.

So on the last boat I asked her to please put the items that belonged together all in one place then she made up a site map (Excel Spreed Sheet)*with the name of the item and the location on the boat.*We kept it in two forms printed and up dated on the lap top.*That did work out fairly well.

Now we need to start her on the same project on this boat.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #29
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Too many places to put things. I have the same problem, so I generally get to the boat in the set of clothes I want to wear home, so the clothes on the boat will stay there.
The biggest problem is tools. If I have a project for which I need a certain tool, if it is an expensive one, I only have one, and it is usually at the boat. When I need it at home, do I spend the time and gas to go get it from the boat, or do I go to the store and get another. Or do I search the basement to find that I have already gone to the store, and here it is! That happens way too often.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #30
JD
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:*LET'S NOT EVEN GO THERE !!!!! Thanks very much, but most of us are already in enough trouble! If we get caught laughing at that comment, there may not BE any boating this weekend !
-- Edited by Old Stone on Wednesday 4th of May 2011 02:11:20 PM
*Oh there may be boating but it will be alone.* The truth be know that isn't*all bad sometime for the both of us.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #31
JD
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:JD wrote:

Old Stone wrote:*LET'S NOT EVEN GO THERE !!!!! Thanks very much, but most of us are already in enough trouble! If we get caught laughing at that comment, there may not BE any boating this weekend !
-- Edited by Old Stone on Wednesday 4th of May 2011 02:11:20 PM
*Oh there may be boating but it will be alone.* The truth be know that isn't*all bad sometime for the both of us.

Hey - Some secrets are not to be given away in public!

*Sorry.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

I contemplate at least three lists.

One would be at home to list things to be taken to the boat.* Permanently attach to refrigerator door.

On the boat would be two lists.* One would be "getting ready to leave dock" listing things needed to be done in preparation of leaving (mostly checking fluid levels,*turning things on, and opening things).* The other would be*"returned to dock" listing things needed to be done in preparation of shutting down and leaving the boat (mostly turning things off and closing things).* These will be kept on the shelf behind the helmsman's seat.

But then there is a likely need for a temporary list showing things needing to be done (like restock paper towels, replace burned-out light bulb, etc.).* This would be taken home and mounted on the refrigerator door too.

Probably will need a periodic maintenance/inspection checklist too.* Keep that in the boat's desk drawer.

Gee, this list of lists keeps on growing.
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #33
JD
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:Gee, this list of lists keeps on growing.
And just think your boat isn't even here yet.* I think you need a list to maintain the lists.*
Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #34
Master and Commander

Quote:
JD wrote:markpierce wrote:Gee, this list of lists keeps on growing.
And just think your boat isn't even here yet.* I think you need a list to maintain the lists.*

*You're right JD!* I'll need a master list to keep track of all the lists.*
Old 05-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #35
Guru

Mark,* Don't foget the list of things to check and put away, when you leave the boat to go home for a few days.

JohnP
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Pienapple Girl - Have to ask - "Last weekend as we left my husband told me to remind him he does not need to bring any clothes for this weekend!" Hmmmm - Special anniversary or something? Have to assume it was just the two of you alone on the boat last weekend?

NO NO it is he already has half his wardrobe on the boat!!* no need to take more!!
Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
And JD - "My problem is sometime the same as yours but there are times when the Admiral starts to "clean up" and she puts stuff in a place because "it fits in that hole". "
LET'S NOT EVEN GO THERE !!!!! Thanks very much, but most of us are already in enough trouble! If we get caught laughing at that comment, there may not BE any boating this weekend !

*My husband is the one who does this on our boat.* We finally got a bunch of bins that fit under the settee and all the tools and spares are at least grouped into an appropriate bin.* This has worked out somewhat well at our house as well.* I hate it when he cleans up, though, I can never find anything afterwards.* Maybe this is intentionally so I will offer to clean up???*

koliver all the clothes have to rotate home to be washed.* No W/D at marina / on boat.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #37
Master and Commander

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Hey Mark - Why do I have the feeling that every item on your lists will be accompanied with a picture?
*Now why do you say that?* Good thing the Coot's desk has files to hold all those lists.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xtra3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	5901  
Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #38
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

PG

That's one of the things that doesn't need to go on a list: We hang a laundry bag on the bathroom doorknob. All the boat laundry in that bag goes home, then after cleaning, back into the bag, which goes back to the boat on the next trip. It hangs around the garage door at home till time to go back to the boat. See, no list needed!
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #39
Per
Guru

i thought we were the only ones who had the " where is the ..., did you leave it on the boat?" issues.
we have numerous cords for phone charging, kids game charges etc etc. now an entire bag is set aside for this purpose.

and once after i had my tools out doing repairs 3 times ago, wifey cleaned up and put tools away, much to my dismay..
to this day i still miss my 11mm socket and seems i need it every time i do anything now.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #40
Guru

I try not to mix the "house tools" and the "boat tools" but sometimes there is an overlap, and thats when It takes me a couple trips back and forth to get things right again.

JohnP