Checklists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Old Stone wrote:JD wrote:

Old Stone wrote:*LET'S NOT EVEN GO THERE !!!!! Thanks very much, but most of us are already in enough trouble! If we get caught laughing at that comment, there may not BE any boating this weekend !
evileye.gif

-- Edited by Old Stone on Wednesday 4th of May 2011 02:11:20 PM
*Oh there may be boating but it will be alone.* The truth be know that isn't*all bad sometime for the both of us.

Hey - Some secrets are not to be given away in public!
no.gif

*Sorry.
biggrin.gif

I contemplate at least three lists.

One would be at home to list things to be taken to the boat.* Permanently attach to refrigerator door.

On the boat would be two lists.* One would be "getting ready to leave dock" listing things needed to be done in preparation of leaving (mostly checking fluid levels,*turning things on, and opening things).* The other would be*"returned to dock" listing things needed to be done in preparation of shutting down and leaving the boat (mostly turning things off and closing things).* These will be kept on the shelf behind the helmsman's seat.

But then there is a likely need for a temporary list showing things needing to be done (like restock paper towels, replace burned-out light bulb, etc.).* This would be taken home and mounted on the refrigerator door too.

Probably will need a periodic maintenance/inspection checklist too.* Keep that in the boat's desk drawer.

Gee, this list of lists keeps on growing.

markpierce wrote:Gee, this list of lists keeps on growing.
And just think your boat isn't even here yet.* I think you need a list to maintain the lists.*

JD wrote:markpierce wrote:Gee, this list of lists keeps on growing.
And just think your boat isn't even here yet.* I think you need a list to maintain the lists.*

*You're right JD!* I'll need a master list to keep track of all the lists.*
eyepopping.gif

Mark,* Don't foget the list of things to check and put away, when you leave the boat to go home for a few days.

JohnP

Old Stone wrote:
Pienapple Girl - Have to ask - "Last weekend as we left my husband told me to remind him he does not need to bring any clothes for this weekend!" Hmmmm - Special anniversary or something? Have to assume it was just the two of you alone on the boat last weekend?
no.gif
laughing.gif
NO NO it is he already has half his wardrobe on the boat!!* no need to take more!!
Old Stone wrote:
And JD - "My problem is sometime the same as yours but there are times when the Admiral starts to "clean up" and she puts stuff in a place because "it fits in that hole". "
LET'S NOT EVEN GO THERE !!!!! Thanks very much, but most of us are already in enough trouble! If we get caught laughing at that comment, there may not BE any boating this weekend !
evileye.gif

*My husband is the one who does this on our boat.* We finally got a bunch of bins that fit under the settee and all the tools and spares are at least grouped into an appropriate bin.* This has worked out somewhat well at our house as well.* I hate it when he cleans up, though, I can never find anything afterwards.* Maybe this is intentionally so I will offer to clean up???*
evileye.gif

koliver all the clothes have to rotate home to be washed.* No W/D at marina / on boat.

Old Stone wrote:
Hey Mark - Why do I have the feeling that every item on your lists will be accompanied with a picture?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
*Now why do you say that?* Good thing the Coot's desk has files to hold all those lists.

sticky.gif
nod.gif

Attachments

• xtra3.jpg
    xtra3.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 66
PG

That's one of the things that doesn't need to go on a list: We hang a laundry bag on the bathroom doorknob. All the boat laundry in that bag goes home, then after cleaning, back into the bag, which goes back to the boat on the next trip. It hangs around the garage door at home till time to go back to the boat. See, no list needed!

i thought we were the only ones who had the " where is the ..., did you leave it on the boat?" issues.
we have numerous cords for phone charging, kids game charges etc etc. now an entire bag is set aside for this purpose.

and once after i had my tools out doing repairs 3 times ago, wifey cleaned up and put tools away, much to my dismay..
to this day i still miss my 11mm socket and seems i need it every time i do anything now.

I try not to mix the "house tools" and the "boat tools" but sometimes there is an overlap, and thats when It takes me a couple trips back and forth to get things right again.

JohnP

If you have checklists, you'll need people who can check.

Attachments

• test coot 2.jpg
    test coot 2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 66
Per wrote:
there are other ways to remember stuff.
in aviation lots of acronyms are used.
example is CIGARS for a pre-take off:
C: controls free and correct
I: instruments set, compass dialed in etc.
G: Gas on proper tanks, boosters on etc.
A: Attitude (set trims and take off flaps if required)
R: Run up (set brakes, run engine(s) up to preset rpm and verify oil pressure etc)
S: Seat belts (check belts are on your pax and inform them emergency escape route)

you could easily adapt to someting similar for boating (for those non lists folks out there).
My issues don't seem related to leaving the slip, but when I return, I'm often distracted or late in considering all the factors affecting a smooth docking.*

After returning to my covered slip a couple of times and forgetting to lower the antennas (whack-whack....WTF???), I came up with the following to help me consider the essentials:

F enders out or ready

A ntennas Down (if needed)

W ind considered

L ines ready

T ide/current considered

S ecurity/Safety of people and items, Special considerations

I call it my "no FAWLTS" reminder.*

I do have a briefing card that I recently prepared for passengers.* I got much of the info from another forum, but tailored it to my vessel.* It gives a little history and information about the vessel and outlines some basic safety info.* An added benefit is that it keeps the pax occupied while*I ready the ship without distraction.* I find that I do better when I always do it the same way each time.* If I deviate from the standard approach, it jumps right out at me.* When I'm distracted by conversation, I tend to overlook items.

I have a short checklist that's on each page of the logbook. Things like "bow thruster switch on" and "fuel valves" open. Most of these things are in there because....

I also have a heavy weather checklist that I run when we're expecting really rough water. Things like "tie the oven door shut" and "install curtain rods in refrigerator shelves". Again, things I've learned from NOT doing them.

I am glad I read this thread just for this one idea of using a tension rod in the refrigerator to hold things in place. Thank you!

I also copied the checklist first posted into a Google doc and am using it to develop one for our boat. Thank you!

and the folks that jokingly disparage the use of lists have probably been doing this so long that it is ingrained in their brains and automatic and they don't realize they actually do have a list but it is in their brain just not written down anywhere.

For someone new to boating lists are an excellent idea until things do become second nature. Plus why clutter up the hard-drive of your brain with things that be simply written down - save your brain power for critical thinking and problem solving.

We make packing lists before every trip and every vacation. But the boat starting procedures are engrained in my mind at this point.

Checklists can be handled 2 ways.
Solo or challenge and reply.

When I flew in the USCG (if I recall correctly), we did memorized checklist when flying solo and challenge reply when dual piloted.

The biggest problem with written checklists without challenge and reply, once complacent with them or distracted at a bad point, things still get missed.

If using a checklist solo, have a way of marking the list after completing that item so that you are POSITIVE it was completed.

I have made checklists and usually after awhile, they become "mental" checklists.

Once really familiar with doing sometging, the understanding of what can go wrong is often the best reminder checklist.

We don't use written checklists, but for certain items or in certain situations, the admiral and I will cross-check each other to make sure something hasn't been missed. I'm also very careful to always do certain things in the same order to reduce the risk of mistakes.

For example, I've seen many cases of forgotten shore power cords when departing a dock, so our departure procedure is to always disconnect shore power before starting the engines (partly to avoid forgetting and partly because the engines don't need the extra warm-up time).

We live in Utah, 900 miles from our slip in Poulsbo, so going back home to get something we forgot isn't very practical. We have a checklist for loading the car before we head for the coast. Also boat grocery and supplies lists.

Here's the checklist we use before getting underway for a 5-month cruise of the Inside Passage. Each line gets checked off (on my computer) before we leave. The list assumes all required maintenance, cleaning, loading etc has been done. We've always been aboard for a week or more before leaving, so fresh water, refrigerator, shore power systems etc have already been checked.

Before Leaving Slip

Stow anything breakable
Mount flag
Remove engine room vent blockers and stow
Put anchor bridle out on bow
Turn on 12V breakers
Switch refrigerator to 12V and check
Turn off AC water heater
Turn on big inverter
Switch computer to inverter and check
Switch off shore power
Unplug and stow shore power cord
Turn on windlass and thruster circuit breakers and check
Turn on electronics and check
Untie and stow all but two dock lines
Stow all but two fenders
Close transom gate
Check engine and transmission oil, coolant, and fuel filter
Check generator oil, coolant, and fuel filter
Open seacocks for main engine and generator
Start generator and check. Shut down generator
Start main engine and check engine room
Make sure rudder is centered
Check forward and reverse
Turn on thruster power
Untie and get underway

We are relatively new to boating and this is our departure list. For others this is 2nd nature, but helpful for us.

Getting Underway Boat Checklist, v18nov22

Shore Power
q turn off AC power
q unplug shore power
q unplug boat power

WOBBS
q water coolant sufficient
q oil dipstick checked and ok
q belt (black dust minimal)
q bilge (run 1-2-3)
q seacock clear and open

Headsets
q put in batteries
q make sure paired
q make sure working

Other Checks
q check gas level
q check wind, currents, weather

Engine turn on
q turn on engine in neutral
q check exhaust bubbles starboard stern
q let engine heat up 5 minutes
q turn on electronics

Final Preparation
q turn on bow and stern thrusters
q check bow and stern thrusters working
q release lines
q exit marina

On another thread people are discussing routines for anchoring. Got me thinking about developing new checklists for when I pick up my new (to me) trawler later this Spring. On past boats I always had checklists for things like pre-cruise inspection, start-up, leaving slip (or mooring/anchorage), anchoring, etc. (How many times have you seen fenders banging alongside outside the breakwater?)*

Started with lists when I started GA flying many years ago and kept it up through my practice as an anesthesiologist (set-up, pre-op interview, pre-induction, etc.). The lists didn't dictate my every move, but were guidelines in front of me to make sure nothing would be overlooked when it counted. They must have had some value - retired after 25 years with no malpractice cases.

So how do people use checklists on board? What do they look like? Where do you keep them? How do you create them?

David

So, I was interested to see the majority of posters don't use them. Also, a GA pilot, but also a lifelong boater, I made up a set of checklists and use them. Admittedly, much of it is rote by now, but I can hand the appropriate checklist to my wife or someone else it I'm otherwise occupied, and know that the basics have been covered. I keep them in a 3-ring binder that is kept front and center at the help station. They get edited as needed - easy to do when saved on the computer with the latest revision date on the title page.

They are organized in order of the work flow. Number of items to check in each list are in parentheses.

1. Opening Boat (7)
2. Engine Room Check (12) - analogous to "Pre-flight"
3. Trip Planning (4) - latest fuel use data figures work sheet
4. Getting Underway Prep I (14) - before lighting up
5. Starting Genset (9)
6. Starting Main (9)
7. Getting Underway II (9) - after lighting up
8. Returning to slip/berth I (4) - before shutdown
9. Main Shutdown (7)
10. Genset Shutdown (4)
11. Returning to slip/berth II - after shutdown (4)
12. Leaving Boat Day List (6)
13. Closing Boat (15)

Check lists ?

Checklists can be valuable for pointing out to ourselves, and our egos, when we missed something (consequential or not) that we are fallible, even human. The older we get, the less practiced things are, opens the door for mistakes. When I recognize I've made a mistake in hindsight, it's humbling and awakening and I'm grateful my miscue had no immediate price. A checklist can be a valuable resource to remind us, maybe we should be more attentive, even for procedures that have become second nature.

I no longer use checklists except for the winterizing process. Winterizing done once a year and over three days means to much to remember accurately.
Same in reverse when putting it all away.

This year was different due to some health problems.

However for trips such as our two to 8 week travels I do make a list to ensure I don't miss stuff. Missing some stuff up the coast can be a problem as resupply can be a problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom