Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

checklist for cruising

This topic may be way too inidividualized, because I'm sure different individuals with different boats have varied priorities, but I'm curious if people have or know of a good checklist of maintenance issues to look at before a long cruise.* I've got a GB36, and I've got the regular maintenance checklist, but I'm curious what priorities you all have before a big trip.

Thanks, Craig
cnbirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: checklist for cruising

#1 Beer.

#2 more Beer.

#3 enough Beer.

#4 food.

#5 Beer.

#6 Whisky or other libations.

The rest of the boat stuff.

Like you said to broad a topic. You talking about leaving the site of land or just a long coastal cruise?

If you are talking about just maintenance issues. It's your boat. After a few short cruises you should be able to nail down what you really need.

Spare parts,Hoses, belts, fuses, tools*and the like.

A little more info about you and your boat would be helpful.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -

We have a printed checklist with basic "Before departure" items on one side and "Before leaving the boat to go home" items on the other side. It has helped us catch items we might have overlooked.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Seems to me we've gone through this exercise in the last year.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
checklist for cruising

We have a "Ditch Kit" which my wife checks regularly. It contains an additional flare gun, flash light, some kind of survival food packets, an extra hand held marine radio plus other goodies. I havent looed at it in years. That is her thing. When we took long trips, we always had it by the companionway so one can grab it on the way out the door in the dark. We are both of the attitude that nothing ever happens on a nice day.

-- Edited by Tony B on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 03:47:59 PM
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Not much more than what we do every spring, change oil, filters, impellors, replace hoses and belts that need changing.* Before we head to Alaska I will pull the heat exchanges/manifold to have the clean and checked and pull the boat to have hull and running gear cleaned and painted.* We carry extra filters, hoses, fluids, impellors, pumps and tools so most things can be changed/fix.* *****
Being a live aboard, we usually have two weeks of food/drinks on the boat, so might have to stock up on some items.* Mainly ICE CREAM!* Also may have to take on some more fuel but we usually have 400 to 600 gallons which would get us 800 to 1200 miles.* The fishing gear, crab shrimp pots would be taken out of storage.*

My biggest concern about cruising remote areas is NOT being able to shop, have facials, pedicures and manicures.* I might be able to make it two weeks.***
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Marin wrote:
We have a printed checklist with basic "Before departure" items on one side and "Before leaving the boat to go home" items on the other side. It has helped us catch items we might have overlooked.
I've been meaning to do that for the past 2 years. Maybe I'll get around to it in the near future. In the meantime, I'll continue to turn the car around and go back for the items I forgot.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Marin wrote:
I've been meaning to do that for the past 2 years. Maybe I'll get around to it in the near future. In the meantime, I'll continue to turn the car around and go back for the items I forgot.

*You could just have it delivered couldn't you?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:*... In the meantime, I'll continue to turn the car around and go back for the items I forgot.
*My most serious "offense" so far was to forget the boat keys.* Realizing that at the marina's parking lot, I had to retrace the 32-mile round trip and pay another $5 bridge toll!

<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">*</td><td width="40"></td></tr></tbody></table>
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Did you get the kids, dear?
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

as far as the boat goes, nothing at of the ordinary from normal maintenance and pre departure checks.* Making sure we have enough food and beverages and we have whatever clothes and stuff we'll need is about it.* We like to put a cooler on the aft deck for beverages if we are going to be out for a few days, so we can keep the room in the fridge for food and not have to open the door so much.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #12

Thanks all ...... and actually I used to have a number of foster kids, and did forget one once, leaving him at a ski slope. I didn't figure it out till I got down off the mountain and went to buy ice cream cones. It all worked out well.....
cnbirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
markpierce wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:*... In the meantime, I'll continue to turn the car around and go back for the items I forgot.
*My most serious "offense" so far was to forget the boat keys.* Realizing that at the marina's parking lot, I had to retrace the 32-mile round trip and pay another $5 bridge toll!

<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">*</td><td width="40"></td></tr></tbody></table>
One of the warnings in the Camano owners manual is to hide a spare key somewhere on the boat.* I did and I have used it more than once.

Driving back home for your key is one thing, locking yourself out of your own boat while anchored in the middle of nowhere could be a serious problem.

Hide a key.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #14
Guru

List? I don't need no stinkin' list!*

Actually, it's a pretty good idea.

I try to keep the boat stocked with non-perishable food and dry goods as we often spend the weekend on the boat in the marina.* Maintenance and spare parts are taken care of.* Fuel tanks are topped off.* I'll call the diver and have the bottom done before we take off.

So - it's a matter of season appropriate clothing and meals for the first few days.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Keys?* What Keys?* Who needs a key?*

I figure if they know*how to open the through hulls, and*turn the*battery switch to on, they know how the start the dank engines.* Shoot I can with a screw driver.*I usually start the engine in the engine room which does not require a key.

We seldom lock the boat*becasue they will do more damage breaking in than the stuff they might take.* Actaully*I would not mind if*someone CARRY OFF some of our old TV, stereos, computers than I don't have to carry them off the boat and dispose of them.***Besides, why would they break in to an ugly old trawler when there a fancy, newer boats in the marina?* The #1 item stolen in a Marina are OB motors and they can have my 1980 something motor I bought used for 200 bucks.

In the 14+ years we have been a live a board we have not had anything stolen.* however we have*had and found strangers in our boat as they thought it was for sale?**When moored on Lake Union we were moored on*the Ocean Alex dock so*75% of the boats where for sale, so it was not big deal.* We don't lock the vehilce either, again*because they do more damage breaking in than what they might take?**

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Guru

checklist for cruising

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:
Keys?* What Keys?* Who needs a key?*

I figure if they know*how to open the through hulls, and*turn the*battery switch to on, they know how the start the dank engines.* Shoot I can with a screw driver.*I usually start the engine in the engine room which does not require a key.

We seldom lock the boat*becasue they will do more damage breaking in than the stuff they might take.* Actaully*I would not mind if*someone CARRY OFF some of our old TV, stereos, computers than I don't have to carry them off the boat and dispose of them.***Besides, why would they break in to an ugly old trawler when there a fancy, newer boats in the marina?* The #1 item stolen in a Marina are OB motors and they can have my 1980 something motor I bought used for 200 bucks.

In the 14+ years we have been a live a board we have not had anything stolen.* however we have*had and found strangers in our boat as they thought it was for sale?**When moored on Lake Union we were moored on*the Ocean Alex dock so*75% of the boats where for sale, so it was not big deal.* We don't lock the vehilce either, again*because they do more damage breaking in than what they might take?**

I keep the boat locked when we're not on it.* My wife makes sure it's locked when we are sleeping on it.* That's probably a good idea.

I wouldn't want to wake up and find strangers on my boat in any event.

There's a saying "Lock it or lose it."* Pretty much applies to boats, cars, homes, etc.* It's sad, but there is an element in our society that thinks it's OK to take fom others, rather than to earn it themselves.

-- Edited by rwidman on Thursday 1st of March 2012 10:05:16 AM
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
checklist for cruising

I've replaced all my keyed locks with combination locks -- even to the front door of my house. Used to forget keys fairly regularly -- haven't forgotten a combination yet. Makes life a lot easier if a friend/relative needs to get into your house or boat and you're not around, just give them the combo over the phone. You can always change it later, if you like. Some of the new combo locks even have a "remote" function so you can unlock it by phone.

dvd

-- Edited by dvd on Thursday 1st of March 2012 12:38:19 PM
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
checklist for cruising

The boat door key is on the chain with the car and motorcycle keys.

The boat key is in the boat.

I made a checklist, but found that my wife serves that purpose quite well.

Did You? Did You?? Did You??? Yes dear. Thank You!

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 1st of March 2012 12:43:17 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Carl

I'll probably show her. I often commend her for saving me from my own stupidity.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #20

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

Check list for cruising.
1) Credit card
2) boat stuff
3) second credit card
4) boat stuff
5) cash
6) boat stuff
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote