Old 03-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: checklist for cruising

Quote:
rwidman wrote:
I keep the boat locked when we're not on it.
*So do we.* One potential issue I saw with older GBs like ours is that there is a gap between the door and the door frame wide enough for someone to slip a knife blade or credit card into and work the deadbolt back. The lock mechanism on older GBs does not have a very positive detent for the deadbolt mechanism.* So a few years ago a friend fabricated a small plate out of stainles steel and I trhough-bolted it to the door beween the lock plate and the edge of the door with enough overlap to cover the gap but not so much as to hit the handrail when we open the door.

A determined thief will get into any boat, but the far more common problem is the "thief of opportunity."* Make it even a little bit harder to break into the boat and they will most likely move on to another one.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Somehow Carey, I think you have lots of company (from being saved from our own stupidity! Count me as one of them.
*Ain't that why we married them??

not sure why they married us???

Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

My List *Block ice. Our longest passages to date are from Kemah Texas to Ponchatrain or returning to Kemah. This is a 4 day trip on a slow boat and we usually provision before we leave as there are few places to get supplies. One of my responsibilities is to assure the crew does not run out of cold drinks. We don't have an icemaker, so good planning pays off. I have found that in our large ice chest- if I start with two 10# blocks of ice, add drinks, then loose bagged ice- my job becomes much easier. I love the block ice!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #24
Guru

Haven't really thought about it, but suppose "The Block Ice Guy" could work......geez- I suppose that sounds pretty lame:smile:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #25
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Quote:
Forkliftt wrote:
......Kemah Texas to Ponchatrain or returning to Kemah. This is a 4 day trip on a slow boat .......
*What route do you take?

Open water to Atchafalaya Bay then inland?

I too live in Kemah.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #26
Guru

Hey Tony, we live near Baton Rouge and bought our Trawler in Kemah Texas after our sank in Katrina. We love the Kemah area and left her there for probably a year and a half before bringing her closer to home. When we started planning the trip, I really thought blue water was the way to go, but it tunns out that oil rigs, overnighters and other things make that a bad option. If I had known Charles Colatta at the time, who I think pretty much pioneered "running with the tugboats", he would have explained how cool it is to run the ICW and how easy. The trip involves Houston Ship Channel to Bolivar Point and then head East. We had a set of nice charts printed for the trip, I installed a color chartplotter, brought along an ambitious buddy along with the wife and off we headed. We also had purchased and studied the Skipper Bob publication. My biggest concern was going around tugs pushing a tow, and Skipper Bob addressed this well. A VHF handset, and a hail to determine should you go on the "one whistle" or "two" were things we learned. I even put a 1 and 2 piece of tape at the upper helm to help me remember. This was a suggestion from a Mississippi River tugboat captain who used this method when on a new to him vessel. One on the left and 2 on the right as I understood. The captain must have been a "simple" guy, needing to be reminded of something this easy I remember thinking. When I passed my first tow, "Bull Calf" on the "two"- he thankfully corrected me before I ran aground near Bolivar. "The two. The two. My port!" he says. I quickly switched my blue tape after I corrected my course. There four or five "water" locks along the way so you need to understand the process for entering these and be aware of significant tug boat propwash if you are not the front guy when leaving. And the last big issue is locking into/ out of the Mississippi River in New Orleans. You can go through Algiers or the Harvey Lock. We always do the Harvey Lock. Skipper Bob covers the protocol for here and Morgan City- you have to stay in contact with the river authorities when traveling through.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #27
Guru

checklist for cruising

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
....*will somebody please tell me about Kemah, Tx!

Seems to pop up a lot, seems to be a pretty cool place. Please enlighten!
*Kemah is SE of Houston, Tx. Just a small tourist kinda of town. The waterfront is pretty much Clear Lake and dumps into Galveston Bay.

Just a nice laid back place. For the little excitement there is around here, there is the Kemah Boardwalk. It is a combination of Resaturants, shops and amuzement park. Prolly less than* 10 minutes to Johnson Space Center. The "Houston, we have a problem" guys.

Kemah is also either the 2nd or 3rd largest boating area in the U.S. Quite a few marinas have over 600 boats each.

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 09:50:55 AM

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 10:12:16 AM
Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Forkliftt wrote:
.......*Skipper Bob covers the protocol for here and Morgan City- you have to stay in contact with the river authorities when traveling through....
*Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the protocol. I used to be*a crewboat Capt. there for a few years.

I found that the Govt. publications are much better than the civilian wriiten books. Try "U.S. Coast Pilot". Chock full of info including radio freq's, tel. no's etc of bridges, locks etc. You can prolly get them from West Marine. Another source for them, since you live near coastal, is if you know any oil field boat personnel. They have to always have the newest edition on board and they throw away the year old stuff. They will gladly give you the old copies.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Tony B wrote:

Forkliftt wrote:
.......*Skipper Bob covers the protocol for here and Morgan City- you have to stay in contact with the river authorities when traveling through....
*Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the protocol. I used to be*a crewboat Capt. there for a few years.

I found that the Govt. publications are much better than the civilian wriiten books. Try "U.S. Coast Pilot". Chock full of info including radio freq's, tel. no's etc of bridges, locks etc. You can prolly get them from West Marine. Another source for them, since you live near coastal, is if you know any oil field boat personnel. They have to always have the newest edition on board and they throw away the year old stuff. They will gladly give you the old copies.

Great info. Will do. For Patricia and I, the locks were our biggest concern. After making it through the first one ( probably nothing near as hard as the TennTom locks), I took my Trawler addition Swiss Army Knife and scratched a notch on top of the door that holds the VHF radio. We have lots of notches now:smile:A guy with your skill set might look at some offshore running going East??::::::::Carl, Patricia would relocTe to Kemah tomorrow!! We actually were setting up to relocate our small business once to the area. Leased an office warehouse, we are even incorporated in Texas!
Great restaurants, great West Marine, VERY low slip prices in resort type settings, and very attractive pricing on real estate. The whole area is laid back as mentioned. With so much industry, there is lots of $$$ around, it's a fun place to be.