Cheapest Stabilized Binoculars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
This came up in the "binoculars with compass" thread, many felt stabilization of the binoculars were far more important than a compass in the binocs. So I'm looking for the cheapest "reasonable" stabilized binoculars roughly around 7 by 50. [Where are the Chinese when you need them]

If you’re going for stabilized why not got for a little more magnification? Say a 10 or 12X. I think Canon are a good value. Not as much stabilization as Fuginon but if you don’t go too strong on magnification they’ll be fine.

We've been able to go to higher magnification (than 7x) with a stabilized binoc.

There are several threads here about the relative merit of Canon vs. Fuji and a few others; one take-away is that the degree if stabilization on Cannon units is usually less (1°?) than on most Fuji units (5°).... but you'd do well to plow through those threads.

Wifey's Fuji is a relatively new product, 12x28 compact, 3° stabilization, chosen mostly for size and weight... and they were less expensive. She's told me a couple times how much she likes them compared to her previous 7x30/compass model, mostly because of the stabilization, and somewhat because of the increased magnification.

-Chris

I've got a pair if the Fujinon Techno-Stabi 14x40 and I've found them less than useful on the San Francisco Bay because the boat is usually rocking more that the binoculars can stabilize. If it is calm, or I am in a protected area they are great. I ended up keeping them at home because they were so seldom useful on the boat.

I really like them as a quality product and I am amazed at how much they let me see, but they didn't work for me on the boat.

When I shopped a year and a half ago, I ended looking seriously at:

Fujinon: 12x32 Techno-Stabi JR IS, B&H $500

Canon: Canon IS Image Stabilized Binocular - 8x25 Defender $350

I looked at them side by side and bought the Fujinon. Then B&H had a super sale at $350 each (absolute steal.... should have bought two). They actually refunded me $150! Great company, have never had any issues with them and always good prices and service.

The co Captain and I are super pleased with the Fujinon!

This came up in the "binoculars with compass" thread, many felt stabilization of the binoculars were far more important than a compass in the binocs. So I'm looking for the cheapest "reasonable" stabilized binoculars roughly around 7 by 50. [Where are the Chinese when you need them]

There was a thread a year or two back on stabilized binoculars. It was very informative.

I think stabilization is MUCH more important than a compass (I have both). However, many disagree with me on that.

In general there are two types of IS systems. One corrects for hand shake and the other corrects for motion. The first is much less expensive than the second. I can’t recall what they are called but I think that the handshake IS (as is used by Canon) corrects for about 1 degree of motion. The other can correct for about 5 degrees of motion (such as Fujinon).

I had a Canon IS system that was passed on to my from my father. It was great. It finally died after 15-20 years of service. When I replaced it I chose the more expensive Fujinon (based on input from the TF folks here). It has worked really well and I would highly recommend it. I chose a 14 x 40 and it has been great. Heavier and larger than the Canon so that could be an issue for smaller people, but it has been fantastic and well worth the very hefty $1,300 price tag back in 2017.

So I'm looking for the cheapest "reasonable" stabilized binoculars roughly around 7 by 50. [Where are the Chinese when you need them]
Many years ago (15?) I bought a pair of Canon stabilized binocs for $400. I suffer from tremors (not Parkinson's) & a normal pair of unstabilized binos just don't work! Yesterday, I used my IS binos while watching deer & turkeys in the Cuyamaca Mountains and was reminded as to just how well they work. If you're in the market for binos, stretch your budget and go IS. You will never regret it.:thumb:

https://www.google.com/search?q=can...XiAhVRHzQIHWKMBF4Q_AUI0wIoAQ&biw=1680&bih=901

Last edited:
FWIW, my Canon 18x50 binos have 3.7* of stabilization....... I bought them in a pawnshop about 8 years ago for around 30 cents on the dollar. Pawnshops are great places to buy good quality used tools and other items.

Last edited:
I have Canon photography equipment, so I am used to Canon's quality. In fact I bought the first Canon image stabilized lens in 2004, the 75 - 300 IS lens. This lens could only stabilize to 1 - 1.5 stops which is nothing compared to what is out there now.

In Canada, you can pretty much add 30 % to any price you see for a product in the states. I have found these Nikons at $800 Canadian that seem reasonable:

https://www.amazon.ca/Nikon-PROSTAF...7+by+50&qid=1559244313&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr1

I like the 7 by 50's for low light capabilities which in some circumstances I think is more important than stabilization. So the fact this Nikon model is "42" has my attention.

Last edited:
I got my wife a set of Fujinon stabilized 14x40 Binoc’s for her birthday thus I can compare them directly to the Canons. It is no contest: the Fijinons win hands down. Fully useable in 5 foot seas and clear and nearly as powerful as the 18x50 stabilized Canons it’s no contest. I’m getting a pair for myself as a birthday present and putting the Canons on Craigslist and eBay.

While I'd love a nice set of stabilized binoculars, I have found that snapping a pic with the long lens/high pixel count, point and shoot, Nikon camera my wife has gives us a great way to see stuff clearly from very far away. I use it all the time to see the bridge gauge going into my home harbor from at least a 1/2 mile away. Depending on the tide, I sometimes need the bridge to open for me, and at 10 knots, I can see it with the camera from far enough away and make the radio call so that it's open by the time I get there. Just an outside-the-box thought. That said, I do plan to get a set of stabilized binoculars...

So does anyone have the Canon 8x25 Image Stabilization Binoculars? 381.00
How about the Fujinon Techo-Stabi TS 12x28? 649.00
Or what one would you buy of the two?

If I had a little more $$ I also like the Canon 10x42 L but there are 1300.00

Best place to buy from or best prices?

I am selling my Fujinon 14x Techno Stabis if anyone is interested.

So does anyone have the Canon 8x25 Image Stabilization Binoculars? ?
I have Canon 8x25s. Bought them on a cruise ship while transiting the Panama Canal. They are about 10+ years old and still work great!:dance:

I got my wife a set of Fujinon stabilized 14x40 Binoc’s for her birthday thus I can compare them directly to the Canons. It is no contest: the Fijinons win hands down. Fully useable in 5 foot seas and clear and nearly as powerful as the 18x50 stabilized Canons it’s no contest. I’m getting a pair for myself as a birthday present and putting the Canons on Craigslist and eBay.

I agree fully with this. My first first pair of Stabilized Binocs were the entry level 10x14 Canons. I had nothing to compare against, until recently. After 7 years of pretty intermittent use the rubber casing/grips on the Canon became so sticky it was impossible to use. They were always kept in a case when not used. I tried various remedies posted online to cure this but to no avail. I replaced them with the Fujinon and immediately noticed an improvement in stabilization. Time will tell if they also withstand the tendency for rubber to devolve into its original state!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom