Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Cheap Sun Glasses

I have always been a person to buy cheap sunglasses (under $20).* The guys at work contend that the $200+ they spend on sunglasses are worth every dollar for protection from the sun and visibility.* I find polarized sunglasses while work well with the sun makes it almost impossible to see some of my instruments.* What has been your experience and preference?
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #2

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
RE: Cheap Sun Glasses

tilt your head and you will be able to read the screen.
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40

you*prefer*cheap or expensive?
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Alfton wrote:
you*prefer*cheap or expensive?
*I have found that Polarized sun glasses*with UV A&B blockers are the best for me around the water.* They don't have to be expensive, but polarizing cuts glare.* Larry is right about turning your head at an angle when the instrument screen blacks out.* They are sometimes polarized as well.* When* two polarized lenses are at 90 degrees to each other they will black out.* Wouldn't be without them, but they don't have to be expensive.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Quote:
Alfton wrote:I have always been a person to buy cheap sunglasses (under $20).* The guys at work contend that the $200+ they spend on sunglasses are worth every dollar for protection from the sun and visibility.* I find polarized sunglasses while work well with the sun makes it almost impossible to see some of my instruments.* What has been your experience and preference?
*For me, the biggest obvious*difference between cheap and expensive sun glasses is the clarity followed by resistance to scratching and longevity.* I've found that Ray Ban aviator glasses (around $75) to be a good compromise (and value) between $200 glasses and Costco (around $23).* Cheaper sunglasses (including Costco) do not hold up as well.

Polarization is another issue.* It can't be beat for reducing glare, but at the expense of making it difficult to see through polarized windows and the ability to view LCD displays.* There have been times where I have switched between polarized/non-polarized in bright sun conditions, and I always end up wearing the polarized glasses, but needing to*work harder to view electronic equipment.

No perfect solution that I know of.*
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

I dislike sunglasses so wear them rarely.

The couple of times I've bought cheapo sunglasses ($1 - $2 a pair), they broke within several hours of purchase.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Next best thing is a good baseball cap with a large brim. Shades your eyes.

I'm with Mark rarely use sunglasses. Only when*snagging for salmon in the shallows.

weighted treble hook or cold hard steel as we call them. Polarized is just the thing.

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

I wear inexpensive polarized sunglasses. My sense is that the cheapest polarized glasses are a tick up from the bottom in any event. Because I tend to misplace them, they are usually lost before any significant scratching occurs.

I was wearing a pair of polarized sunglasses years ago while driving my Mazda, and I happened to tilt my head and the entire windshield went black. That is very scary at speed!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Cheap Sun Glasses

I wouldn't be without my shades, and they have to be polarized to be of much use.* Unfortunately, they are ungodly expensive because they have to be prescription for this half blind old man.

And a ball cap, too.* Finding ones with a long bill is the tricky part. But, man, do they make a difference.* Which is something the baggy pants, backwards ball cap kids haven't figured out yet.* I laugh every time I see one of them squinting and shading their eyes.*

Dude!* Turn your hat around.* That's what it's for!

-- Edited by BaltimoreLurker on Friday 7th of October 2011 11:31:12 AM
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Guru

Sunglasses AND a baseball cap as my eyes are very sensitive to light.

GOOD sunglasses....I have used the same pair of optomitrist quality sunglasses for 20 years. Yes that's right, 20 years. Is that a record?

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I have photo grey glasses of real glass and rarely need SG. When I do I use very cheap SG * ...the kind that slide behind my regular glasses and cost next to nothing. Sorta wrap-around style. I use them only when underway directly into the sun and then not very often. And our air is so clear up here bright sunlight is brighter than down south.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
I have photo grey glasses of real glass and rarely need SG. When I do I use very cheap SG * ...the kind that slide behind my regular glasses and cost next to nothing. Sorta wrap-around style. I use them only when underway directly into the sun and then not very often. And our air is so clear up here bright sunlight is brighter than down south.
*In the 60s I was travelling extensively on business in Florida.* A doctor told me to get some good UV protected polarized sunglasses and use them.* Otherwise, I would have cateracts from the sun damage.* I have had some at hand since, and used them.* My wife didn't see the need.* She had cateract surgery while I haven't.* Don't know if sunglasses are the difference, but wearing mine is second nature.

On the baseball caps, I love 'em.* However, my dermatologist has explained to me the difference between a hat and a cap several times.

Living in the sunny South i can see why sunglasses are not as important in the Northwest.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

I wish I had a choice! Near sighted in one eye and far sighted with an astigmatism in the other means expensive sun glasses. Since I have to work on the water, Dark, polarized lenses. $369 Ocean Wave (blue
offshore lenses) do the trick. The only caveat is that I usually get 6-7 years out of them. Driving a car with them is sometimes a challenge because they are really dark.
I'm with Don on the baseball hats-love them but I have the pastey Irish white boy syndrome. Dermatologist wants me to wear something more protective. I recently bought a "tilley" hat. I have made fun of blowboaters in tilley hats since I was a young punk! ....Now I are one!(I'll probably start stealing the toilet paper from the marina heads like blowboaters too!).....

Disclaimer: Please don't take to seriously or be offended by these comments!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #14

I always wear polarized sunglasses when I'm outdoors. In the Walmart fishing section they usually have*reasonably priced*($12-19) polarized glasses with reading lenses built in. They last ok and no big deal if you lose or break them.

The readers are great for the instruments, charts and tying fish hooks! I need the help seeing detail up close and these work great for the boat. I usually keep a few pair on board at that price. I believe they are labelled as Renegade.

mikejsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:* A doctor told me to get some good UV protected polarized sunglasses and use them.* Otherwise, I would have cateracts from the sun damage.*
*Had my cataracts removed some*13 - 15*years ago.* Now I don't need corrective lenses to drive legal (was previously near sighted).**Now I need $10-$20 reading glasses to type this now.*
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

ZZ Top- 1980
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Quality sunnies are a must.
I wear Spotters/glass amber lens. ( I think Spotters are an Aussie brand) But Mako, Maui Jim also good rep in the fishing industry.
Good on the water when traveling thru the reef and also when stalking bonefish on the flats.
I do have a couple of cheaper pairs on board with inbuilt reading lens (Bartz).
These are handy if you are constantly looking out and reading instruments, the lenses are not glass and they break down around the edges after a while.
The quality lenses don't break down and I suppose being at sea all the time they are part of my PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)

The old addage always applies you only get what you pay for.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #18
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Giggitoni wrote:
ZZ Top- 1980
*My first thought too. I usually pick up the polarized 3 for $20 or so at the boat show. That way I don't cry when I lose or sit on them.

In my experience, the lifespan of sunglasses is inversely proportional to how much you pay for them.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #19
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC

I wear prescription glasses...for driving and reading.... I used to buy prescription sun glasses.... but I decided to save about $450 and spend it on the boat instead... Now I have a couple of pairs of "clip ons" ....both are polarized....and if I lose them or ruin them....they can be replaced fairly cheaply.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #20
Guru

Cheap Sun Glasses

Here's the brand I use.

www.flyingfisherman.com

-- Edited by twiisted71 on Sunday 9th of October 2011 12:34:14 PM
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote