Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #21
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
RE: Cheap Sun Glasses

Man I'm a freak about the sun, good glasses, big hat, long sleeves when I can bear it and lots of spf's. I don't understand folks who don't wear glasses. I guess its an ol' timer thing?
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC

Quote:
swampu wrote:
Man I'm a freak about the sun, good glasses, big hat, long sleeves when I can bear it and lots of spf's. I don't understand folks who don't wear glasses. I guess its an ol' timer thing?

I'm not a spring chicken by any means....but I'm not sure its an "ol' timer thing" as much as it is a "we who live in the south have been fried by the sunenough *that we have figured out that only a fool wears no protection against the sun".... *I don't use an spf of less than 46+, wear the long sleeves, and wear a hat, along with my shades...that are polarized...and I tend to stay in the shade as well.

I got a really bad burn when I was stationed at the ATC school there at Keesler in 68' on Easter weekend.... I was Army...and it was no fun wearing starched fatigues and wearing jump boots to school when you are fried and blistered. *Haven't repeated that mistake again....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #23

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31

I wear runner's sunglasses because they are designed for hanging on when you are sweating and bouncing around. Think they were $70 at a running store. I also just did a round of a new topical skin cancer therapy called Zyclara which causes your body's immune system to attack sun damaged cells. You do 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off and then 2 more weeks on. The second 2 weeks I was quite ill feeling (like I had a mild flu) and barely made it. But my wife says my facial skin looks light years better (pun intended). The strange thing to me is how my skin plain feels better which is a hard thing to explain.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Quote:
JAT wrote:
I wear prescription glasses...for driving and reading.... I used to buy prescription sun glasses.... but I decided to save about $450 and spend it on the boat instead... Now I have a couple of pairs of "clip ons" ....both are polarized....and if I lose them or ruin them....they can be replaced fairly cheaply.
*Being a quack, and therefore all too aware of of the damage potetial of the sun, I always wear sunnies.* In fact I developed the habit when quite young and sustained an eye injury which left me photosensitive, so I hope that misdaventure will stand me in good stead in avoiding cataracts, even here in the bright Queensland sun.* However, I'm with JAT.* The prescriptiopn glasses with multifocal lenses are dear enough, so I buy them with the 'Transitional', self-tinting lenses, and then for conditions still a bit bright, wear cheap, flip-up type clip-ons for extra glare protection.* However, they do look a bit 'daggy' and I remember having a good laugh at myself, when number one son, while driving with me one day, said very seriously, "Dad, is one of the benefits of getting older that you no longer care how you look...like when you wear your sunnies flipped up...?"
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #25
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40

Thanks for all the input on cheap sunglasses.* Looks like the group is pretty split except for those forced to wear prescription.* I am thinking of putting good sunglasses on my Christmas list.*
For those of you in the south exposed to heat and sun you might consider Columbias Blood and Guts Super Light long sleeve shirt.* I purchased mine early in the year and was able to stay covered up even in the record Texas heat.* I also hear a Henschel wide brim Breezer hat.*
http://www.henschelhats.com/breezer.php
and for now cheap sunglasses
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #26
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

If I may chime in... I refuse to wear cheap sunglasses. In the past 20 years, I don't think I have spent less than $100 on a pair of shades. Cheap-O's just don't last, they don't offer the same protection, and they have very poor optics. They scratch easily and distort the image around the outer edges and eyes tire after only just a few hours behind cheap polarization. I really try and do my homework on sunglasses, try on a lot of styles at a few stores, and find ones that really fit well. Been an Oakley fan for most of these years because of their fit and styling, but have since tried a pair of Maui Jim's and Revo's. I like both of them well enough, I suppose, but they really aren't as modern looking as I would like. The Revo's have great coverage and fabulous optics but get sweaty easily. The MJ's are good, but are a bit too grey in their tinting.

Sure, the downside is that if you lose them, you've lost a pile of cash, but to me, it is worth the risk. I used to lose expensive glasses a lot, but now have learned to be more aware of them and not put them at risk. I understand how hard it is to justify spending that much for shades, but once you get a pair, you'll understand. They ARE worth it. I'll never wear a cheap pair again (if I can at all help it).

Tom-
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #27

City: Bocas del Toro, Panama
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare

Maui Jim Sport glass with a neck starp so I don't drop the over the side or lose them. Expensive but worth it.
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Use to wear cutting torch safety glasses with the side curtains. Green tint, ultimate UV protection, all plastic, and $12 a pair. Not exactly a fasion statement. Can't get them in presciption. So now its prescription bifocals sunglasses from walmart at $69 a pair.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #29
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:
Use to wear cutting torch safety glasses with the side curtains. Green tint, ultimate UV protection, all plastic, and $12 a pair. Not exactly a fasion statement.
*I dunno.* Sounds kinda cool, in a Road Warrior sort of way.*
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #30
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
Dswizzler wrote:
Maui Jim Sport glass with a neck starp so I don't drop the over the side or lose them. Expensive but worth it.
*I was waiting for someone to say this...* Mine have the springs in the hinges so they don't break as easily, and when they do I just send them back to Maui Jim and they put the lenses in brand new frames for FREE.* No questions asked other than how did you break them.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #31
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

A Lot of good information here. I have always been a sunglass snob. My job(pilot) pretty much demands good sunglasses...as do my hobbies. To keep from never losing them, I would have a pair of Revos in the car for driving. A pair of Oakleys on the boat. And a pair of Serengettis in my flight bag.

We can't wear polarized sunglasses in the airplane since the displays are polarized and it makes it kinda tough flying around with yor head tilted simply to ingest the vast amount of fairly important information.

My first choice for flying would be Serengettis when Corning Optics used to own them. They were glass lenses and excellent optical quality along with not being overly expensive($125ish). Serengettis sold and they went plastic and cheap. My last pair were about 5 years old before I couldn't see thru them due to scratches.

Revo does not make an unpolarized model so they are out. PS...Ray Bans and my eyes have never got along well...I have always believed them to be sub par to the other top players.

I have consolidated all of my sunglass needs into the Oakley Brand. They have an infinite amount of style choices...plenty being non-polarized. Their optical quality is second to none in the plastic lens category. And they seem to have excellent longevity(aren't as easily scratched). The pair I wear are $80!!! One of the beauties of Oakley is you can customize them an way you want on their website if that is your gig. You can even have the name of your boat etched around the edge of the lenses...I have never done this but have always wanted to.

In the end, you want a pair of sunglasses to give you that "AAAAHHHHHHH" sensation the second you put them on. Kind of like Gatorade for your eyes...pure relief!!! You don't get that with cheap sunglasses....sorry!

Another thing to think about is if they do not have the proper protection, they can actually cause harm to your eyes. The darkness of the tint causes your pupils to dilate and if the protection is not there, you are exposing your eyes to more harmful energy...jus sayin'!

One last thought as I know the OP is a melanoma survivor(as am I). There is a type of melanoma that likes the retina of your eye. It is rare. But is it caused by sun damage? I don't know but I am not taking a chance. I have worn sunglasses all of my life and hats also as my hair has gone away. I hear in Australia that hats(the tilley type) are now part of the uniform in grade school now????
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #32
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

FWIW - Polarized sunglasses are also great for reducing the glare caused by road spray on wet highways.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
FWIW - Polarized sunglasses are also great for reducing the glare caused by road spray on wet highways.
*So true.* I use mine in rain and fog to cut glare from light reflection.* I can see tail lights at a farther distance with them on.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #34
Veteran Member

On sunglasses.... I have my regular glasses coated to block 100% of UV and do not wear sunglasses.* Blocking UV is critical.

On hats.... If Kathy will let me wear my boating hat in public, it's too small.* All my friends in their 60's are getting little bits removed from the tops of their ears, shoulders, etc.* My big floppy boating hat is an embarassment and*the nicer the weather, the longer my sleeves.

cheers
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #35

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

My SGs used to meet their end when:

a) I sat on them

b) they fell off when landing a fish

c) once blew overboard when I put them down on the cabin top

So, I now use Bella Sole - cheap, virtually unbreakable and interchangeable lenses.

I use a polarised pair for outdoors and a light-blue lensed pair* in the wheel-house which reduces the glare when looking out the windows but still*lets me to read*the plotter, sounder etc. I also have an amber pair for fog, drizzle etc but have never used them. Bella Sole come in a set of four (I think) frames and about eight pairs of lenses) all for about $100.*
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #36
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Just as a note, after losing a few pair of expensive sunnies and reading specs I now crimp on a length of 80 lb mono leader material and hang them around my neck.
Not really sophisticated but cheap and handy.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote