CHEAP air con raw water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kulas44

Guru
Early last spring my AC raw water pump went TU (or so I thought, turned out to be a clogged thru hull). I had a cheapo HarborFreight pump so I installed it,,,, then cleaned the thru hull. I left the pump installed. It runs continuous when I'm on the boat (a lot) and is still doing the job. I bought a spare today at HarborFreight and it was $47. A PacificHydrostar clear water pump. 3/4 hp, 120v, 550 gph, 1 inch fittings.110 ft max head lift. pulls 5 amps, can put out 50 psi. Even comes with a foot valve (didnt need that). The currently installed pump may have several thousand hours on it and shows no signs of giving up, I just like to have spares. And, for $47 dollars, hard to beat.

Early last spring my AC raw water pump went TU (or so I thought, turned out to be a clogged thru hull). I had a cheapo HarborFreight pump so I installed it,,,, then cleaned the thru hull. I left the pump installed. It runs continuous when I'm on the boat (a lot) and is still doing the job. I bought a spare today at HarborFreight and it was $47. A PacificHydrostar clear water pump. 3/4 hp, 120v, 550 gph, 1 inch fittings.110 ft max head lift. pulls 5 amps, can put out 50 psi. Even comes with a foot valve (didnt need that). The currently installed pump may have several thousand hours on it and shows no signs of giving up, I just like to have spares. And, for $47 dollars, hard to beat.

Nice out of the box solution...have to keep it in mind and research the ups/downs...

Thanks...:thumb:

Nice cheap solution. My only reservation would be the 5 amps required. For comparison, a similar performance March pump only draws about 2 amps.

Ken

Bought some Harbor Fright (sic) air tools to use under salt water and then planed to throw them away. :blush:

Used them for 3 days then rinsed and oiled and 4 years later I still have them and yep they still work.

For disposable junk that somehow works they are not a bad deal.

If it works, good on ya. :thumb:

My new Harbor Freight story is my heat gun gave up the ghost...bought 1983, looked cheap and worked like all get out...HARD use over the years.

Luckily had a coupon for a new one at Harbor Freight (as usual...reg price $100, on sale and with coupon $8.99:rofl: )...Looked great out of the box...much slicker and heavier duty than my old one...cool...

Plugged it in, turned it on...a small pop and puff of smoke.

Yep...didn't last a second.

Disassembled it...several inches of heating element smokes and broken free.

Called, and in 5 minutes they had a new one on the way.

Great customer service but less than one second????? I had to laugh. :D

PS as you know, all things electric work off the power of smoke, never let the smoke leak out or the item will no longer work.

4773d1379779494-humor-posts-lucas_zps8e6b60d9.jpg

I do agree on the HF stuff, but several thousand hours later and still going strong (apparently to strong, amperage wise) is hard to argue with. The originall pump was a Teal 3/4 hp. It lasted a good long time to, but the replacement is over $300. A March pump of that size is stupid $$$, and not even close to as good.

Doing a little research, looks like a comparable March 3/4 hp pump pulls 10 amps at 120 volts. And moves more water. And its not stupid $$$ its insane. Over $800. $47 looks better all the time.

A while back someone posted a pic of a 3 position bilge pump type switch, ? Lucas made,with the 3 positions marked as Off, Flicker, and Dim.
Positions

Don't forget that Lucas makes replacement smoke for "positive earth" wiring systems as well as negative ground. Don't buy the wrong one.

In the late 70's Lucas launched a new Medical Division.

Now, can you imagine what it would have been like going through life with a Lucas pacemaker? :dance:

A while back someone posted a pic of a 3 position bilge pump type switch, ? Lucas made,with the 3 positions marked as Off, Flicker, and Dim.
Positions

I remember that one well.

Pretty much the reason Brits like warm beer is because Lucas made the refrigerators too.

As a emergency bilge pump or big volume deck wash the house well pumps 2 inch or so do a great job at non yacht pricing.

Noisemaker or inverter not included in cost.

I dont think ive seen a 2 inch house well pump. Usually 1 1/2 in and 1 inch out. Bertram used pumps like this in the 80s for fresh water pressure. They used swimming pool pumps for washdown, bait tanks, etc. They worked just fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom