CHB shaft tube leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lin Sea

I have a 1983 CHB,i just painted the bottom after 5 years and noticed a drip coming from the shaft tube housing on the keel, it seems I have to re-haul out and re-bed the housing. But what if the shaft tube is bad? The boat has always had 1 to 2 inches in the bilge and didn't think anything of it.is the shaft tube brass with screw fittings or SS ? The keel is probably full of water, I have water seeping in just behind the stuffing box, the leak is about 2 gallons a week. Please Help, what do I do? I have been told if the tube is imbedded in keel you have to cut it out? What is that going to Cost!

Hi There,

I just went through this, had water coming in for YEARS at the stuffing box area, last year to the tune of 5 gallons every 24 hours.

My yard fixed the structure around the shaft at the stuffing box area.

Yes your keel has water in it (most of them do), as the keels were weighted with concrete (which is porous by nature depending on the yard that mixed it and poured it). Mine leaks out the rear of the keel when out of the water also.

My .02... fix the leak inside the boat, I just laid out $1500 for the glass work around the shaft log area. I know there is water in the keel... but knowing how it was built... I know a guy who took a grinder to his keel wherever he found water seepage. It was a never ending task. After weeks of grinding and fiber glass repair, he gave up. If the water doesn't get in the boat... :eek:

Dave

Thanks for that, I guess I will keep watching and see if the leak gets worse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom