Old 08-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

City: Sun City
Chb 34

Hi folks,I’m fairly new to TF and I am looking at the CHB 34 as an entry level boat. We are looking to base it in the PNW, and there are a few on the market. Looking at videos, my wife and I both remarked how the boat seems to pitch and yaw in moderate chop to some small rollers, leading to some possible green around the gills. I don’t know if it’s due to it being a lighter boat, narrower beam or not. Any thoughts on stability compared to their boats in this class? I’m not married to the thought of a CHB-just part of the many parts of due diligence, best shot anyway.
Thanks and cheers!
Defrostedcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
Welcome aboard.

Everyone's reaction to motion is different. A boat is not a stable platform and it will move around in the waves. So what is rough for one person is nothing to another. That said 3 foot waves for us on the bow is not that bad but place 2 foot seas on the beam for any length of time and I'm looking at changing course. Also I rarely pilot from the bridge which would exaggerate any rocking.

There is a person on youtube that has several videos that he has shot while underway that might be worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCj...FmqEyQnMryOcTg

Good luck on your search and if possible try to find coverage moorage.
NWSeadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #3

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Charter first

Hi Canuck! and welcome to the forum. Before you plunk down $ to purchase, $ to berth, $ to insure, operate, maintain and pay taxes on. I recommend that you charter first. Cooper Boating out of BC has a CHB 35 "Stella Maris" out of Powell River, you can try out the boat, check her in different sea conditions and learn a little about what works for you.
We have chartered with them for several years, going again next month in their GB 42, this time in the Gulf Islands, their boats are well maintained, the service is great and the cost, with the exchange rate in mind is favorable.
Good luck and keep us posted
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #4

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
Exctyengr

Great idea and the price is right. I always had the rule of thumb that is was better to charter then buy if we could only use the boat for a maximum of 2 weeks per year.
NWSeadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSeadog View Post
Welcome aboard.

Everyone's reaction to motion is different. A boat is not a stable platform and it will move around in the waves. So what is rough for one person is nothing to another. That said 3 foot waves for us on the bow is not that bad but place 2 foot seas on the beam for any length of time and I'm looking at changing course. Also I rarely pilot from the bridge which would exaggerate any rocking.

There is a person on youtube that has several videos that he has shot while underway that might be worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCj...FmqEyQnMryOcTg

Good luck on your search and if possible try to find coverage moorage.
Hi NWSeadog,
Thanks for the reply. I’ve seen his videos and really like the maintenance videos on the Lehman. I was wondering in some of the videos if it was a little on the beam. Yer right, you’d be in for a ride on the flybridge. I’ve motored with a friend on his 30’ Catalina on a beam sea off San Diego - everyone was very pale and very quiet. Glad it was a fairly short run.. Right now, I’d prefer that than the 110 degrees in Phoenix. Cheers!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
DFC, If you get into the buying mode for one of these boats, a couple of the problem areas mentioned here have been soft spots in the house and around the salon windows, and rusting of the fuel tanks. These can be spendy fixes but can be identified in advance by a good survey.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #7

Ken E, That’s what I hear. It’s a concern because whatever we get, it won’t be kept in a boat house. Seems to be a few around whose decks have been glassed over and new fuel tanks, but windows are seldom mentioned. Things that make you go hmmm. I can do some wiring, plumbing and engine but structural- don’t want to go there. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point
Vessel Name: BULA
Vessel Model: NAVIGATOR 44
CHB Stability

This is a fun time for you, enjoy the search. Our first power boat was a CHB 34. We made the natural progression from sail to power. To answer your question, I don’t think there is much difference in the stability between the CHB and other trawlers in the same class. In fact, the CHB may be a little more stable, in normal sea conditions, because of its semi displacement hull. However, in the PNW, stability shouldn’t be much of an issue. The negative for the CHB is the exterior bright work. We spent many hours working on the bright work. I finally bought covers to reduce the maintenance, but it was a real pain to remove them, and replace them, every time we used the boat. If your interest is working on the boat and cruising, then the CHB should work very well. If you’re primarily interested in cruising, I would look for a boat with less exterior maintenance. Hope this is helpful. Best of luck.
Rigtyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:53 PM   #9

Hi Rigtyme, Right, sounds like stability isn’t much of a problem, then. Since we plan to get out of Phoenix for the summer for 4 months or so, there will be some quality marina time while we hone our boat skills. That would include some bright work I’m sure. We’ve had three fixer upper homes in the last 30 years, so not opposed to some elbow grease. Might be more tolerable if a beer is involved, I think. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Many of the "typical"Taiwan trawlers from the 1960s-1990 are pretty rolly polly according to the experienced trawler owners I know.

Unless they are stabilized....rolly but not necessarily dangerous.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #11

Well, if that’s what it takes to get to great destination and experience, I’m game. ��
Thanks for the feed back.