Old 01-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Chasing Bubbles

Watched this documentary the other night. It's about sailing, but really more about life and chasing that dream while you have the chance. I highly recommend it. Three thumbs up!!

Now I want to add a mast and sails onto my boat again.

https://youtu.be/ibP5IQxId34

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Watched this documentary the other night. It's about sailing, but really more about life and chasing that dream while you have the chance. I highly recommend it. Three thumbs up!!

Now I want to add a mast and sails onto my boat again.

https://youtu.be/ibP5IQxId34
You can always own a second boat. I converted to power cruising a few years back when DW was showing signs of sail fatigue after 50+ years under the mast. I on the other hand could not give up sail and still keep a second boat that I day sail regularly when not summer cruising. Now that I am approaching my 80s and regularly single hand power and sail I have down sized my sail boat. I have gone from a J/44 to a J/35 to a J/100(33 ft.) and now to a 18Ft. Down East catboat one sail one string but really challenging to sail in a breeze..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	60924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0608.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	60925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	60926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	60927  

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:51 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Once a sailor, always a sailor!

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
That's what charter and rental companies are for. Go to paradise and rent somebody else's ride.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: East Hampton, CT
Vessel Name: Gossip
Vessel Model: Chien Hwa 35
My wife and I do both. Actually, we haven't quite got the power on the powerboat yet...

But we realized we wanted to continue our racing program, but larger sailboats were neither great at racing, or good at cruising. We decided to keep the smaller sailboat we love to race with friends, and buy a trawler to cruise and support the racing program.

You cannot do both on the same boat, and unless you fully commit, I don't see being happy with a partial compromise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rumor Hospice Set.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	60932  
mgrennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
...but really more about life and chasing that dream while you have the chance...
Couldn't agree more.

In our twenties, before career, mortgage, or having our daughter, my wife and I sea kayaked the coast of BC for six months. As it turns out, if we had waited until retirement, that dream would have been unrealized due to my wife's shoulder being injured in a car accident.

In the end, what do you think will be more comforting at the end of life...assets, or good memories of dreams realized?
Old 01-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #7

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Chasing Bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
You can always own a second boat. I converted to power cruising a few years back when DW was showing signs of sail fatigue after 50+ years under the mast. I on the other hand could not give up sail and still keep a second boat that I day sail regularly when not summer cruising. Now that I am approaching my 80s and regularly single hand power and sail I have down sized my sail boat. I have gone from a J/44 to a J/35 to a J/100(33 ft.) and now to a 18Ft. Down East catboat one sail one string but really challenging to sail in a breeze..

Would I be correct in thinking that your sailboat is also a Devlin design/built boat? It certainly looks like it.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That was a great movie, 'dude! We really enjoyed it. Thanks for recommending it.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
Would I be correct in thinking that your sailboat is also a Devlin design/built boat? It certainly looks like it.
It is a modern copy of an 1800s New England lobster boat. It is something like hull# 842 a very popular boat on East Coast in areas with thin water. Built in Down East country by Marshall Marine and called a Sanderling. My boats name is K.I.S.S.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #10

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:
It is a modern copy of an 1800s New England lobster boat. It is something like hull# 842 a very popular boat on East Coast in areas with thin water. Built in Down East country by Marshall Marine and called a Sanderling. My boats name is K.I.S.S.

Gotcha
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Great video. Thx Cardude.

mgrennie:
"You cannot do both on the same boat, and unless you fully commit, I don't see being happy with a partial compromise."

I don't agree with this statement, even though it keeps getting repeated.
Every boat has compromises. No boat of any type is the perfect sailing vessel or the perfect accommodation vessel, or the perfect power vessel, or the perfect fishing vessel, etc etc. Compromises are always required, and there is no reason why we can't be happy with this.

My boat doesn't sail as well as many do. I wouldn't be happy if I wanted to race other sailboats, but I don't. I'm happy with the steadying effect the sails have, and the ability to serve as get home propulsion, and occasionally shut down the engine and enjoy the silence of sailing downwind.
I have absolutely no desire for a "true" performance sailboat, with limited vision from the claustrophobic cabin, an unprotected cockpit, and a deep draft, even though it could point into the wind better without starting the engine.

I prefer the compromise of requiring my engine in some conditions, rather than the compromise of lack of comfort and airy pilothouse.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Not to split hairs, but the Marshall catboats are Cape Cod catboats not down east. I'm from the cape and knew Breck Marshall when he began building his cats. Down East means Maine. The waters are deeper and Maine sailing working craft are usually full keel more along the lines of the Friendship sloops. Friendships are more typical down east sailing work boats.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: PEI
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: Jeaneau 21
bubbles

cardude01 Watching Chasing Bubbles this eve. Very real and honest. Tks very much for the link.
Seadog2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #14
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Chasing Bubbles

Quote:

That's a really cool looking sailboat. Those catboats have an unstayed mast right? I always thought that was an interesting design feature so you don't have to worry about all the rigging, but I guess there are compromises.

What makes it difficult to sail in a good breeze? Is it the large sail? Are they hard to reef?

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote