Chartplotter Decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Westpfahl

Vessel Name
MEANDER
Vessel Make
1984 Albin 36' trawler
Our 1984 Albin 36 came with two Raymarine E80 chart plotters. The entire system seems "old school" when compared to the latest Raymarine and Garmin products. Here on LI Raymarine is the most popular char plotter on power boats; sailboaters seem to prefer Garmin. (I had Garmin on our schooner and miss it's simplicity.) We want to continue to use radar, sonar/depth, and charts, etc. The boat yards recommends the new "e" series from Raymarine. The techies at our West Marine LOVE Garmin's 700 series. Anyone have some input???

sounds like you prefer the Garmin...

really hard to say one system is better than another.

lots switching to PC Nav...if your RADAR and Fishfinder are OK...then maybe save yourself a bundle and look into PC nav until the RADAR/Fishfinder need replacement.

Our 1984 Albin 36 came with two Raymarine E80 chart plotters.
It's true that the E series Raymarines are "old school" but they do deliver a lot of "bang" for technology that is over 10 years old. I have 2- E120s and still only understand about half of what they are capable of. I'd give them at least a year before I parted with them.

Attachments

• IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 91
I put a Garmin plotter with DownVue sonar on both of my Whalers and love it. If you're moving slow (idle speed) it shows you ever little bush and rock on the bottom, If you're moving fast it shows every contour like you're looking at a photo of the bottom.

Here's a screen shot in 64' of water and you can see every tree on the bottom. With one click you can also switch the screen position to change the GPS to the bottom and depth finder to the top.
img_357586_0_0a1f66454765c802a798f680e4d44cbe.jpg

img_357586_1_ccd2d37365984432dc4aa1243746fe31.jpg

Check out the contours in this shot taken in 75' of water.
img_357586_2_3cac721bfae2d2c555f7bf53198c5832.jpg

There are many different ways you can customize the display to suit your needs and they're easy to set up.

I'm VERY happy with this little unit. I'd love to see it on a big screen like your helm will have.

Okay; I read and considered all the responses I've received. West Marine locks their door when they see me coming in. (only kidding) Actually the WM in West Islip, Long Island has been very patient with me. I'm beginning to think I should change out the thru-hull device and see if it makes a difference. I really don't want to spend 6 grand unless I need to. My wife and I would like to do more extensive cruising (3+ months) so a trustworthy chart plotter, depth meter, and radar are essential. Agree?

I have a Garmin 192c that I installed when I bought my boat in 06 and I still use it. Been thousands of miles cruising around LI Sound, Hudson, Erie, and Canada(bought a "chip" online for $100). All the charts are right on the money. It's NOT integrated with anything other than my autopilot.
Small screen but I have limited space.
I won't replace it until it dies. then it will be another stand alone Garmin.

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 89
We have used a Garmin 441 for the last 6 years. I brought it from our sailbolat when I sold it. It has been flawless, but I am ready for something bigger so I am moving it to the lower helm and buying a Garmin 840xs for the flybridge. Seems to be a nice plotter, I guess time will tell.

For me, the chart plotter must interface with my iPad. There must be an app for the iPad that includes Active Captain an the ability to plan routes and transfer to the chart plotter. Garmin fills that bill for me. I know nothing about Raymarine.

Have fun,
Arch

Ditto on all the Garmin comments. The newer midsize touchscreen units are pretty nice..
This is an Echomap 70s that I bought for <$500 without a transducer. Took my Garmin 546 up to the bridge. With the G2 maps for automatic course creation and AP interface it makes for a simple and effective coastal plotter..

20150827_132129-vi.jpg

Ditto on all the Garmin comments. The newer midsize touchscreen units are pretty nice..
This is an Echomap 70s that I bought for <$500 without a transducer. Took my Garmin 546 up to the bridge. With the G2 maps for automatic course creation and AP interface it makes for a simple and effective coastal plotter..

20150827_132129-vi.jpg

Very clean helm!

Very clean helm!

Thanks Oliver...With a small boat you have to work on placement and packaging a little more than you do with a condo sized helm/settee area. Here's a wider shot with Antique radar on the left and a TV on a very slick fold down mount..:)

20150827_132153-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Oliver...With a small boat you have to work on placement and packaging a little more than you do with a condo sized helm/settee area. Here's a wider shot with Antique radar on the left and a TV on a very slick fold down mount..:)

20150827_132153-vi.jpg

Yep same thing on our 28 Camano when we had it. We used to keep our clothes in a suitcase under the saloon table since there wasn't any drawers,
Or any drawers that were available were filled with spares.

Yep same thing on our 28 Camano when we had it. We used to keep our clothes in a suitcase under the saloon table since there wasn't any drawers,
Or any drawers that were available were filled with spares.

:)....I am familiar with that problem!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom