Old 04-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #21
Scraping Paint
City: -
RE: Charting Boating Costs

I believe our moorage costs are 6-something dollars a foot right now. Maybe seven. I can't remember, they raised them recently.

And my wife and I do as much of the work on our boat as we can, which is most of it. It's one reason we bought an older boat--- so we'd have a sort of "hobby" fixing up the things that need fixing up. Things like new engine mounts, exhaust systems, new shafts, couplers, valve adjustments, the installation of a whole new battery setup, we leave to the local pros. But everything else, from engine servicing to wood refinishing (my wife has become an artist with a Makita heat gun), to toilet rebuilding to electronics installations to window rebuilding to canvas work, we do ourselves. This does a lot to keep ownership costs down, and for the most part (for us anyway) it's part of the fun of boating.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #22
TF Site Team
City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
RE: Charting Boating Costs

It's all about being realistic, but without freaking out. Like Marin, I bought an oldie but goodie, which was basically sound, but tired, and needed work. I was able to purchase therefore with cash, but in the knowledge I would spend quite a bit of time and money on her doing her up. Now you may find this hard to believe, but a recent valuation has her now at twice what I paid for her. True. In our market here is Aus, one of these CHBs in good shape is regarded like an old but well maintained Queenslander house - a bit of a classic, and always sells and holds value well. I knew that when I went looking. However, I've got to get my fun out of her before I retire, because I had to use some super to buy her, and realistically, I doubt I will be able to afford the maintenance and those unexpected repair bills when no longer earning. That's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. A bit frustrating, as when one retires is the time in life when yah got the time....right? 'course I might win lotto - you never know. But I'm not holding my breath, and trying to get the most out of her while I can.
Hey Gonzo, that's one nice looking boat you have there. What design is it? If I was able to up-size, a sundecker with nice big aft cabin AND a decent outdoor covered living area instead of cockpit, is one way I could be tempted to go.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote