Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #1

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Chartering Your Boat?

I am interested in a boat that is currently in charter.* I would be very interested if I could leave it in charter for a few more years to help cover*costs.*Any thoughts on what I might expect?
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Chartering Your Boat?

Quote:
Budds Outlet wrote:

I am interested in a boat that is currently in charter.* I would be very interested if I could leave it in charter for a few more years to help cover*costs.*Any thoughts on what I might expect?
Personally, I would rather go without than put a boat in charter. Save your money until you are ready to own without the charter.

My moorage is on a dock occupied mostly by charter boats, and seeing the lack of skills exhibited regularly, made it apparent to me long ago that there is not enough done to verify skills before handing over the keys. Yes, the boat is insured, and major repairs are made to cover those major damages. But, the minor damages done to all aspects of the boat will accumulate, and will not be identified and covered by anyone but you.

Another big downside is that you must remove all food, personal supplies, clothing, etc. All those items you don't want to have to haul to the boat every time you go out. Items such as handheld VHF, quality binoculars, CD's, DVD's, etc. must be removed, or you risk them disappearing a little at a time.

Charterers do not treat your boat like you would, and they don't know how your systems work.

And finally, by the time the charter company gets done charging you for every little thing, your savings will be much less than you imagine.

Wait to buy, and charter a boat yourself when your vacation comes around.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

What location are you hoping to put a boat into charter?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #4

Chartering Your Boat?

The boat is already in charter in the Pacific Northwest, Puget Sound to Desolation Sound.

The boat appears to be in better condition then the non-chartered boats of this model and age.*

That is my* plan, to wait until I am ready to own full time rather tha buyng the boat too soon.* However, if chartering would seal the deal for me now on something that would not be available to me in the future I woud go for it.

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Sunday 14th of November 2010 10:41:12 PM
Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Budds Outlet wrote:

The boat is already in charter in the Pacific Northwest, Puget Sound to Desolation Sound.

The boat appears to be in better condition then the non-chartered boats of this model and age.*

That is my* plan, to wait until I am ready to own full time rather tha buyng the boat too soon.* However, if chartering would seal the deal for me now on something that would not be available to me in the future I woud go for it.

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Sunday 14th of November 2010 10:41:12 PM
There will always be another desirable boat. There is no need for urgency. Are you considering a Grand Banks from Northwest Explorations?

Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #6

Carey you are so right. In this market there will be other desirable boats.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #7
FF
Guru

A friend of mine ran a large Sail charter fleet in Tortola for over a decade.

His problem , mostly 40-50 ft sail boats was the boats were not robust enough to be chartered.

The concept was they would stay chartered till they were "free" to the owners , however after 2 years ( 80 weeks in service) most were so beat they had to be replaced , the local talent could not keep up with the repairs.

The CSY fleet were designed and then built as bricks , but even with far heavier construction and better gear only an extra year or so was gained.

Weather this would be a problem in the PNW with marine motorists is a question.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
Chartering Your Boat?

W chartered a GB36 before we bought our own. When we decided to buy we had the option of buying a boat and putting it in charter with the company Carey mentioned. We elected not to do that for a variety of reasons. There were all the reasons Carey mentioned, plus the real biggie was that there is no guarantee that the charter income will cover your own costs. Or even begin to cover your costs if the demand for your particular boat is low or if the economy takes boating off a lot of people's "things to do" lists. And charter companies want relatively new (aka expensive) boats in their fleet because those are the kind of boats people want to charter.

The owner of a charter boat is in essence a charterer him/herself. You can only use the boat so often each year. You generally want the boat to be available during the best cruising months for paying customers, so your boating season tends to be the not-so-nice months. We actually prefer fall, winter, and spring cruising to summer cruising because it's not crowded, but between my work schedule and the weather, which seems to be getting windier with each passing year, we don't have as many opportunities to go out during the off-season as we used to. BUT..... we continue to use our boat year round, staying on it almost every weekend even if we don't go out.

What that means is that, like a getaway cabin in the woods or whatever, we have the boat fully outfitted for our use. Clothes, food, books, and on and on and on are all on board all year round. If we had the boat in charter, all that stuff would have to go onto the boat when we used it and come off the boat when we left. Every time.

So we opted to get a very old Grand Banks that we own outright and can do anything we want any time we want rather than finance a much newer and much more expensive Grand Banks and hope to cover all or most of the ownership cost by chartering, which would mean that our own use of our boat would be somewhat limited.

Chartering works for some owners, no question.* A number of the GBs in the charter fleet that Carey mentioned are owned by wealthy people who live out of state.* Their use of a boat is limited anyway, by time, distance, etc.* So having a nice newish boat that they can use the few times a year they have available for boating and that earns its keep at least to a degree during the rest of the year is a good deal for them.

But for someone who lives in close proximity to their boat and wants to take full advantage of having it, chartering would, I think, prove to be a rather* frustrating experience.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 15th of November 2010 04:18:52 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Also private use RINGS THE BELL !! for the IRS to look very closely.

However payments , insurance , docking , advertising are deductible as business expenses.

Spend a week , get a 6 pack ticket , and take THEM for the boat ride.

Even pretend to be a Skool to get a few more aboard.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

You'll never see me chartering*any boat of mine.* If I'd wanted to have occasional use of a boat, I'd charter someone else's.* Almost no one treats a chartered boat as well as their own.* And I don't welcome the complexity of record keeping and tax reporting.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

We chartered our first boat for a few years. It was a brand new 30 foot sailboat that we put into a local fleet. In hte first couple of years we had no problems, but in the third year ( also the last year) one charter party put too much emphasis on the Party aspect and left us with a very messy and soewhat damaged boat. The deposit was insufficient to cover the cast of proper repairs, and the charter Co refused to chase the charterers for the excess. So we paid and took our boat out of their fleet. We only did referral charters after that, and only a few, till the economic necessity faded and we were able to affort the boat without the help.
I wouldn't recommend chartering, as keeping all your personal stuff off the boat was a real PITA, repairs all had to be done at the high cost of trades that were called out on an urgent basis, there were a lot of hidden costs, all of which came out of our bottom line, and there was always the fear that the boat wouldn't be there when you wanted to use it yourself, due to maintenance or repair issues that were none of your doing.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #12

Chartering Your Boat?

I really appreaciate all the good advice. We live within 7-8 miles of several south Puget Sound marinas and I would want the boat moored down here rather than up in the charter markets of Anacortes or Bellingham.

As some have suggested, better we charter their boat then someone charter ours. And, I should be clear, we are not without a boat now. Its just that the size of the current boat is such that a 10 day cruise is about all we want to be aboard at one streatch. We are wanting a larger boat.

Another consideration for me is that I believe the value of this yacht will continue to depreciate and I will be able to acquire it for somewhat less in 3 years than I can now.

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Tuesday 16th of November 2010 08:59:29 PM
Old 11-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: -

There is a saying in the film industry, "Trash the rental." This often holds true in the boat charter world, too.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Carey wrote:

Are you considering a Grand Banks from Northwest Explorations?

No, we are considering a Tolly 43 listed with Bellingham Yacht Sales.* It is currently in the charter fleet with Par Yacht Charters in Bellingham.* But unless we were going to charter it also, we won't be buying this much boat until I retire and can use it enough to make it worthwhile.

I agree with the comments about chartering out one's boat.* To me boating is too much about my relationship with the boat.* I don't think we would be happy renting it out.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We bought the boat as a charter and chartered, took people out and for charity, to off set some of the cost. Six Pack charter, so I had to get a Miranda waiver for the boat.* We use to go to many of the boat events around the Puget Sound my wife sold specialty quilts and bedding, and I sold dink rides and day/event charters.* On Lake Union/Washington Seattle there where event year around so day/evening chartering was easy to get.* Also we were moored across the street from FredHutchCancerCenter so we did some charity cruises.* That was really tough as many times it was the person last event.* We did a couple of weddings, and we raffled off day/dinner cruises for the church which was one of the hot items, so it was not just one but several.* Also good advertizing!*

I would never bare bone charter my boat, but charting was fun and interesting.* When we retire we probable will do some chartering/charity again.* The boat is still registered as a charter.* Also being a charter help get discount at marine stores, fuel docks, marinas* but the best part was being able to go through the locks before all the pleasure boats.* Very seldom did we have to wait.* Also if you buy the boat as a charter you do not have to pay state sales tax.* So you save on tax, get discounts, get to go through the locks, and off set some of the costs.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
FF
Guru

"so I had to get a Miranda waiver for the boat."

Tax fraud may have you using your Miranda rights soon enough ,

but its the Jones Act that keeps offshore built vessels from commercial use.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I knew it was somthing like that!*Jones Act Waiver.* Anyway what ever its called it was not difficult to get, cost a couple hundred bucks, but has saved us thousands.***So you might want to look at buying the boat as a charter but not a bare bones charter!

I*will probable be using my Maranda*Waiver*also!***0-;
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Yakima

We've had our present boat about 18 months and have had it in charter in Anacortes this year.* That's too limited a time to know whether it is a good idea or not, but I do have some opinions about the experience.*

I wouldn't put a boat in charter in order to afford a bigger/more expensive boat.* If I couldn't have paid for this boat and expenses without chartering I wouldn't have bought it.* There are just too many variables in chartering to be able to depend on an income flow from it.

You have to assess whether you can stand having someone else use your boat.* I know some people that would rather charter their wife than their boat.* So far we haven't had any noticable damage from being in charter, but it is disconcerting to have other people move things and set your electronics differently that you do.* We established an owner's locker where we keep most of our personal gear.* It is kept locked.* We have charter stuff that is used by the charterers.* Old charts, cheap binoculars, etc.

If I could be at the boat at least twice a month, I wouldn't have it in charter.* The reasons chartering has worked for us (so far) is that we have low income expectations and limited ability to use the boat.* We live four hours away from the boat over a mountain pass that can sometimes be impassable in winter.* Our business keeps us from having much time to use the boat in June, July and August when other people want to use it.* We need other people that have a reason or interest watch out for the boat.* We have found some good reasonably priced trades people that help keep up with maintenance.* We don't really want the boat to charter much, if it pays for moorage, insurance and some extra wear and tear I'll be satisfied.

I noticed that you're looking at a 43 Tolly.* Our boat is a 2006 Westcoast 46, it was built in Canada using the 43 Tolly molds with 3' added to the cockpit.* Just an updated version of an early 80's Ed Monk Jr. design.
Lyle
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #19
Guru

Chartering Your Boat?

Quote:
Budds Outlet wrote:

Carey wrote:

Are you considering a Grand Banks from Northwest Explorations?

No, we are considering a Tolly 43 listed with Bellingham Yacht Sales.* It is currently in the charter fleet with Par Yacht Charters in Bellingham.* But unless we were going to charter it also, we won't be buying this much boat until I retire and can use it enough to make it worthwhile.

I agree with the comments about chartering out one's boat.* To me boating is too much about my relationship with the boat.* I don't think we would be happy renting it out.
The Tolly 43 is a great boat. There are quite a few in the NW, so you will likely find one when your'e ready.

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 17th of November 2010 05:27:42 PM
Old 11-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #20
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

We bought the boat as a charter and chartered, took people out and for charity,
So, Phill, I wasn't aware you had a USCG capatains license.* If you don't, you might just need your Marinda rights.....................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote