Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #21

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
As I have related here before , I helped navigate a friend's 52' Ocean Yacht last summer on our trip to the Abacos. We also had a Garmin 4212 onboard. We used the Garmin alot but also found the Samsung Tab2 10.1 tablet with the Navionics HD very handy. The ease of zooming with the tablet comes in handy while leaving the larger Garmin in a zoomed out view. Its also easy to do a quick calculation of distance with the tablet.
As others have pointed out the Navionics program has limitations and I am hoping they add the course up feature soon as it can be somewhat confusing when comparing both charts.
All in all, the tablet was a big help and my friend has since purchased his own.

Nimble1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #22
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have been using a laptop running Capn for navigation since Capn came out, (15 yrs?) With the latest update, about 3 yrs ago, it is as capable as any other charting program, but superior to many, as it uses CHS charts (in Canada), while the dedicated chart plotter I have for up top and the dinghy uses only C-map charts. A tablet would sacrifice screen size, but otherwise, subject to other limitations posed by others, would work.

Where a tablet would shine is in accessing all of the other information you should have while running your vessel.
In the world of Motorhomes, the high end coaches like new Prevost conversions, use the latest Ipad to display all coach system information, Engine information, security, audio, video, etc.
When I can find out how to adapt my Engine sensors to forward such things as rpm, oil pressure, EGT, temp, in tablet readable formats, I plan to get a tablet.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
We are overloaded with plotters, laptops, AIS, and IPad. The laptops when hooked into stand alone monitors seem fine when not in the sun at the lower helm. All have their place and with separate breakers and different GPS receivers adds a level of redundancy that serves us well. Our auto based Nuvi is the last gasp if all electrons are lost as it spits out lat and lon to locate us on the paper charts.

The tank built plotters are sure nice in a go fast as IPads and laptops start skittering about. Our Furuno MFDs pass a drop test to meet USCG criteria, the Dell laptop sure doesn't. How about the Toughbooks?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #24
FF
Guru

The laptops when hooked into stand alone monitors seem fine when not in the sun

A towel over the operator was std for early Loran and older radars.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #25
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
We run a 5" 180C Standard Horizon plotter running C-Map connected to the AP. But my primary means of navigation is an Acer netbook running Polar View. The netbook is also connected when desired via hdmi cable feeding a 32"LCD Vizio TV that swings down from the overhead, centerline in the salon. I update the charts everyday before pulling the hook so I always have up to the minute charts. This just isn't possible with the C-Map. Backup to all of this is Nuticharts on my Samsung Note II smart phone. Marinetraffic app can also serve as a basic backup.
Thanks Mark and Richard W.
Between the two of you and Peter Hayden's detailed blog of his new boat, I think i have most of the answers I've been looking for. It's still unclear what my fianl budget will be, but I will investigate switching to Garmin as my marine plotter and radar, while continuing to use Polar View as my main planner and underway navigation tool. I also use navaionics on my Samsung Note and will add a Samsung tablet soon.

Mark's post confirmed my idea of adding an LCD monitor to my pilot house, as I would like to have different windows on a much larger screen, still keeping my other displays.

Richard in NYC taking advantage of the cold weather to communicate with the world before I return to Dauntless, who is currently growing a beard in Nassau.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #26

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
A towel over the operator was std for early Loran and older radars.
... or a hood like on this 2002 Nordhavn 35 Coastal Pilot (not my boat) ...

Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
or the rubber hood of day's of old...loved it when the newbies would forget they had stuff in their hands and tried to stick them through the cuffs for grease pencil plotting...
Attached Images

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #28

City: Central Ohio
I'm holding out for a Holographic display.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:40 AM   #29
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
MC-if the holographic display was designed by your namesake, you never get anywhere!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #30

City: Central Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
MC-if the holographic display was designed by your namesake, you never get anywhere!

You say that like it's a bad thing...
Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #31
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Escher View Post
I'm holding out for a Holographic display.

It would have to be a much larger chart scale to be of any value... Right now that boat appears to be somewhere in Mongolia.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #32

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
DUH ... it comes with an air straw.
You blow air into it to zoom in ... can be integrated with boat's air horn pump ...
Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #33
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
or the rubber hood of day's of old...loved it when the newbies would forget they had stuff in their hands and tried to stick them through the cuffs for grease pencil plotting...
I had hoped I could get to the grave without ever hearing the term "grease pencil" and "radar" in the same sentence again. Ah the joy of plotting with a stubby grease pencil, an old rag and squinting for hours at a smeared screen at night on the bridge.

After a few hours, your eyeballs felt like they were laying on the plotter.

We have come a long way!

Larry
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #34
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtones View Post
What do people think about using a mobile device as a chart plotter/multi function display?

My experience has taken me from celestial and dead reckoning, through to rdf, and gps with paper chart, up to chart plotters both multi function display and computer based.

More recently I have been using mobile devices with inavx and navionics. This I first used as what I though would be backup but has quickly become primary for pure convenience (all be it with the salt water environment in mind).

My very recent research into upgrading our electronics has left me disappointed by the marine electronic companies continued insistence on forcing one to purchase their mfd's which are dinosaurs compared to current tablets and 10 times the price.

Have we reached the age where the big companies should provide the network solution to our mobile device independent of an overpriced mfd?

Or does it exist and I can't find it?

Cheers
Tony
I'm thinking your post is more of a personal statement than a question. I use a chart plotter (MFD). Two of them, one at each helm. I believe that's a better and more reliable solution than a glorified telephone.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote