Old 07-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
Guru

Change in plans?

I once read a boaters plans are best described as something etched in sand at low tide - they will likely change. This has been and continues to be a valid description of our lifes journey related to boating and there appears to be another incoming tide related to our current plans. While one could view this tide as erosion to a well thought out plan, we prefer to accept it as an opportunity to set another course. A course that still involves boating and a another boat.

Anyone interested in following what appears will turn out to be another boaters journey of researching that prefect boat for a specific mission may enjoy checking in on us from time to time. We will soon be starting a new thread under Helmsman/Camino section. Not sure what the title will be yet but you will recognize it once its posted.

OK, now back to the boat. It's 85 degrees today in San Diego and we drove down to the boat for the afternoon and dinner at a nearby restaurant. We decided best to sit inside with the A/C turned up and make a cold margarita. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

John T.
Helmsman38E - Maria Elena
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Based on your posts on Nordhavn Dreamers and on here, how many boats have you flipped on the last seven or eight years?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Based on your posts on Nordhavn Dreamers and on here, how many boats have you flipped on the last seven or eight years?
And they're just getting warmed up....lol

He does truly love the process, almost as much as the boating I think.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Old 07-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
Guru

# of boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I would not describe our use of boats as "flipping" since that real-estate term normally suggests "making a profit" or "a business". We have over the past 13 years only bought four trawlers and sold three. We will be selling our current boat and building another so it looks like it will be five new boats. Do the math and it appears we change course about every three years. Doesn't seem that often but those are the numbers (so far).

John
Old 07-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
I would not describe our use of boats as "flipping" since that real-estate term normally suggests "making a profit" or "a business". We have over the past 13 years only bought four trawlers and sold three. We will be selling our current boat and building another so it looks like it will be five new boats. Do the math and it appears we change course about every three years. Doesn't seem that often but those are the numbers (so far).

John
As someone always looking to the next boat, I am not about to criticize. In fact, I like it. With build time and commissioning and all it would appear about a year after one is completely commissioned including dinghy and all you start planning the next one. I'm sure though that you're always thinking of more and future.

We've only sold one boat since getting into coastal boating. It was our Sunseeker Manhattan 65 and we started thinking ahead the day they introduced the Manhattan 66 as we liked it better. Now we had no plans to do anything and intended on keeping the 65 until we got an "offer we couldn't refuse" without ever offering the boat for sale. Now, still don't know what we'll replace it with, but if we had to today it would be the 66.

Can't help it. We love boats. We never stop looking or thinking. We're always thinking "what would we replace this with."

Now, as to flipping. On tv, most do it for a profit. In reality, many think they will and find out otherwise. A lot of flippers make money from television and from selling books and courses and conducting seminars. Now there are those who profit from just turning houses. Menzies, for instance. lol
Old 07-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
"5 foot itis" strikes again!
Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
"5 foot itis" strikes again!
Don't think you can call it that as sometimes he's gone bigger and sometimes smaller. He needs a fleet of boats.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Don't think you can call it that as sometimes he's gone bigger and sometimes smaller. He needs a fleet of boats.

Then why this: "We will soon be starting a new thread under Helmsman/Camino section"?

Seems to me an admission they will be building a Helmsman 43....perhaps a 43E.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
He does truly love the process, almost as much as the boating I think.

I think you are right. I also can certainly understand it. I LOVE reading the threads about new boat builds. It must be really fun and exciting to go through the process of selecting, building, and commissioning a new boat. If only my checkbook could handle it.

So it sounds as if another Helmsman? You were really happy with the process with your 38E and have been very happy with them. Can’t wait to follow along.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Then why this: "We will soon be starting a new thread under Helmsman/Camino section"?

Seems to me an admission they will be building a Helmsman 43....perhaps a 43E.
So going up five this time perhaps. Last time went in opposite direction. Who knows next time.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:24 PM   #12
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Gee, the idea of "mature" boaters, having worked from dinghies to trawlers, need to frequently move from trawler to trawler. Makes me believe that some boaters are never satisfied with their boats.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:58 AM   #14
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
I have no problem with it, sounds fun actually! As long as it doesn't ADD stress to your life , then why not? There are no mulligans in life....

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:25 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Gee, the idea of "mature" boaters, having worked from dinghies to trawlers, need to frequently move from trawler to trawler. Makes me believe that some boaters are never satisfied with their boats.
You don't grasp it at all. That doesn't mean they're dissatisfied. But they generally enjoy boats and changing them. It's like people with cars who trade every few years. Doesn't mean they disliked the old one. We're very satisfied with our boats, but always thinking of new boats too. We love boats. We'd love to have one of each of a few dozen, but then we select carefully "for now." And that's the key, not "forever", just "for now."
Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I get the whole idea of building new boats every few years as your desires change (glad I don't suffer from that affliction). Not sure I understand the need for starting a thread to tell people there will be another thread on their next build.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
It’s not a situation I understand. Our biggest fear when looking for boats was buying a boat that we ultimately did not like, or was not up to our requirements. We simply were not in a financial situation where we could “trade up”. It took us 2 years to discover our boat should be a KK42. 5 years into that ownership, we are not disappointed.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #18
Guru

comments

As with our previous thread which generated some great discussion and view points, it appears this one will do the same. This is one of the reasons for tho new thread but the real reason for sharing our love of building boats is to inspire and possibly educate others who may be thinking about building a boat. Despite building a few boats we are really novices at this and have alot to learn. We will likely will never figure everything out in this life time so hopefully we can continue this journey in our after years if only in spirit. Life is too short not to dream, enjoy your hobbies and build boats. Wow, that's getting a little deep?

So what are we up to? All I can say is at this point is that we are in talks with Scott on a new design but as of today we have not officially listed Maria Elena for sale. She was built for us to take to the east coast and enjoy the ICW and would be the perfect boat but those plans are on hold. Once we are sure the design will support the new near term (1-5 yrs) mission we will proceed with listing her for sale. More to follow........
Old 07-31-2018, 10:59 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I get the whole idea of building new boats every few years as your desires change (glad I don't suffer from that affliction). ...

Ted
Ditto. ... There is satisfaction having one's last boat, and having gotten it "right."
Old 07-31-2018, 11:11 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Ditto. ... There is satisfaction having one's last boat, and having gotten it "right."

Mark, I still don’t think you really ‘get’ it. It really isn’t about not “getting it right” but about the desire to explore other options and pursue a new adventure.

Sure, serial boat building is not something most of us would do, but then again most of us don’t have the financial freedom to do it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote