Old 09-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Kes

City: Southern Illinois
A Chance To See Great Loop Trawlers

Hello all. I first read about the Great Loop back in the spring and haven't been able to stop thinking, reading, and learning as much as I can about such an amazing adventure. Being landlocked, it just never occurred to me that such a trip was possible.

I'm in Southern Illinois, about two hours east of St. Louis and if what I'm reading is correct, those traveling the loop should be making their way down the Illinois river to St. Louis about now. So, since I'm dying to see loop boats up close for the first time, I thought this forum might be a good place to ask....... Is there a place and time where I could go and have a pretty good chance of seeing some trawlers and meeting some people who are currently completing the loop?

Thanks,

Ken
Kes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
Check out islandtimecruiser.com
It sounds like you timed it perfectly. Also search Average Looper, they have a great blog on the loop.
I hope to start my loop next fall after 20 years of planning.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Kes

Thanks Rafe, I'll take a look now.

K
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #4

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: Coconuts
Vessel Model: 1996 49' Krogen Express
Join the aglca loop group. I believe website is www.aglca.org. There is a daily update going on on the general movement of the loopers.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
They are having their anual rendevous Joe Wheeler State Park in October . A lot of loopers make it to our marina on TN River on their way .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #6

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
Check out islandtimecruiser.com
It sounds like you timed it perfectly. Also search Average Looper, they have a great blog on the loop.
I hope to start my loop next fall after 20 years of planning.

Rafe
IMHO you have a perfect boat for the loop.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I know where you might be able to pick one up cheap if you're in the market.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I agree, Bob. If this old frame wasn't so stiff and sore, I'd probably have one too. I stayed overnight on one in Stuart, FL, and it took me almost a year to recover from that one night...no kidding. I banged myself bad twice, slept on a mattress that was way too thin for my weight, and then in the morning, brushed my teeth with some real bad water on the boat. Still, with all that misery, I never actually crossed the boat off my list. It's that good of a boat.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #9

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
Thanks for the kind words. I agree it is a good choice, and for this reason. It brought us, hillbilly rookies, 2000+ miles in the first six months safely and without incident. Reasonably fuel efficient, reasonable speed, and stable. What more could a person want?

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #10

Try the Grafton Marina, Grafton, IL. Should be several boats their now and more headed that way as soon as the Lockport Lock reopens and the weather improves. There should be a fairly steady stream of boats thru there over the next 2 to 3 weeks.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #11

City: bluffton
PURCHASE PROCESS, I a newbie searching for a nice trawler. Please send web site and advice for purchasing a boat? thanks, bill boy
bill boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Kes

Thanks all for the comments, looks like it might be time for a trip to Grafton and see if I can make some friends.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #13
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join the AGLCA, and go to their rendezvous. They usually have it at Joe Wheeler State Park near Rogersville, AL. You can book a room at the lodge. There will be seminars, informal gatherings, and boat tours. Many of the folks there will be meeting up again with friends they met along the Loop. Just take it in and participate where you can. It's coming up in about a month, so there is little time to waste. If the rooms at the lodge are booked, there should be a near by motel.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #14
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Try the Grafton Marina, Grafton, IL. Should be several boats their now and more headed that way as soon as the Lockport Lock reopens and the weather improves. There should be a fairly steady stream of boats thru there over the next 2 to 3 weeks.

A friend is at Grafton a few days ago he said there was 27 loopers waiting, most were planning on leaving Thursday.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Exactly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Join the AGLCA, and go to their rendezvous. They usually have it at Joe Wheeler State Park near Rogersville, AL. You can book a room at the lodge. There will be seminars, informal gatherings, and boat tours. Many of the folks there will be meeting up again with friends they met along the Loop. Just take it in and participate where you can. It's coming up in about a month, so there is little time to waste. If the rooms at the lodge are booked, there should be a near by motel.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
Kes

Where is the next logical stop for loopers after Grafton? I'm thinking of heading to Grafton this week but weather is supposed to be bad so I'm not sure.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kes View Post
Where is the next logical stop for loopers after Grafton? I'm thinking of heading to Grafton this week but weather is supposed to be bad so I'm not sure.
Because of the limited facilities on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, the next "congregation" of loopers will be at Green Turtle Bay. A very nice marina located on Lake Barkley (Cumberland River). MM 31.5. Worth a visit even w/o the loopers there.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
There are a number of boaters leaving here (Grafton) tomorrow some going to Alton for a few days and others to Hoppies. others are still arriving with departures delayed due to operational issues on Lock 52 of the Ohio River with up to 50 tows and their loads backed up.

Best time to get on boats as others have said is one of the two Rendeavous where a special time is set aside for boat walk throughs.

There are also many other loopers still coming down the IL river so good or bad it's going to be crowded on this leg of the loop for awhile.

Our loop will conclude in two weeks at Pickwick Lake when we transfer from Loopers back to cruisers.

Enjoy your trip on the loop it's definitely a trip of a lifetime.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Pawleys Island
Vessel Name: Bay Tripper
Vessel Model: '06 MS 34 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
Join the aglca loop group. I believe website is AGLCA | Thirty Years of Community Building: 1983-2013. There is a daily update going on on the general movement of the loopers.
Interesting link... Alexandria Gay & Lesbian Community Association. Not the loop I was interested in!
Jamup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #20
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
On Friday, we bumped into a Great Looper from Canada who put in at Manistee because of bad weather on Lake Michigan. He said they had been planning the trip for 9 years. I kind of chuckled when I saw a Home Depot type outdoor barbeque grill and two bicycles on his sun deck. I was thinking this guy is in for a world of hurt once he hits salt water. He was gone yesterday morning.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote