Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Thinking about mounting underwater lights to bottom of swim platform.

On our Mainship I had two underwater lights mounted. We loved them but they failed within a couple of months...got super dim. Luminex said no problem, we’ll exchange them under warranty, but that would require me to have the boat hauled out. Not doing that again. So I’m thinking of building a bracket to clamp to the bottom of the swim platform that will hang the lights below the water line and running the wires up the ladder and into the boat. No holes, bracket would be out of sight, and if I need to get to the lights, I can just unbolt them.

Thoughts? I know they will probably take a beating, so they’d have to be strong.

I’d love to hear some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
CA4087CA-4A7B-4036-AA0E-AAB91FC5FB36.jpg   CA708071-DAC4-4011-9536-741084954E51.jpg  
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Guru

Looks like the swim platform legs actually are underwater already, so I would need much of a bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
0466DE69-9F6E-464F-8922-C4E61E3C376C.jpg  
Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I find it more interesting when the lights are pointed down, lighting up the sea bed. Only seen this done once.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I have thought about putting a couple on for a few years now and never got around to it, but if I did I would do exactly as you have described. I don't like putting holes in the boat below the waterline in less I really have to. I have even thought of a couple floaters that you just deploy over the side when wanted.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Guru

Stainless flat stock, bent at 90 degrees to mount lights, then another 90 degrees to mount under platform. Verticle side against the hull for stability.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 91. Hmmm....Seems your trim tabs might pose a bit of an interference problem depending on location and any bracket, as you surmised, will have to be robust enough to survive prop wash and any other turbulence occurring in your transom area.

I've considered exactly what you intend to do. Mount on a bracket attached to the swim platform. I do not have trim tabs but most probably similar strength requirements.

The simplest and most straightforward mount I've thought of comprises of a bracket which will allow any lights to be hinged out of the water and lay flat on the top of the platform to be deployed when desired. The Admiral nixed that idea BUT, I'm still hinting...
Old 11-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I find it more interesting when the lights are pointed down, lighting up the sea bed. Only seen this done once.
I have thought about mounting lights to my swim platform, pointing down, for the same reason. I would much rather light up the water right under me, than to try to light the whole ocean!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
Guru

Some good ideas here. Interesting through to aim them down. Of course they’d need to still be submerged. I wonder how much of a difference it’ll make because the light scatters so much.

Having them retract out of the water would mean they’ll stay much cleaner. That would be a huge plus.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Let em float

Quote:
. "THE GREEN LANTERN 12V LED Green Underwater Night Fishing Light AMERICAN MADE! Specifications: 1. Color: Green 2. Lamp length: 7 inches 3. Wire length: 15 foot. 4. Power: 10 Watts 5. Input Voltage: DC 12V 6. Input Current: <1 Amp 7. Lumen: 20000 lumens 8. LED bulbs quantity: 65 5630 Style Leds 9.Warranty: 60day Features: 1. Awesome underwater fish attractant. 2. Fully weighted. 3. Perfect for boats, docks and piers. 4. 50,000 Hours of continuous use; 5. Compact size for easy storage. 6. Industrial-grade, fully-submersible design 7. Weight: 10 ounces.."
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/12v-LED-Gr...a1815bfffc63cc
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #10

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
I like the hing idea, Or a bracket that would allow the light to slide down and be pinned into position and then pulled back up and pinned out of the water. That may take up less room on the platform.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Shady Grove
Vessel Model: TMC Custom 41 Trawler & S-2 10.3 Sail
I wonder if wiring inside the tubing presents any shock hazard if you happen to be using the swim ladder for it's intended purpose ?
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
I wonder if wiring inside the tubing presents any shock hazard if you happen to be using the swim ladder for it's intended purpose ?
Yeah I guess. But it would be no more risk than your car. It’s only 12 volts! Honest, rubber grommets in the metal holes for the wires should prevent any damage to the wire insulation. I think.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
Guru

The flip up idea is interesting. It would keep the lights clean for sure. But I’m pretty damn lazy. I want to be able to flip the underwater lights on without spilling my beer.

I think I’ll just mount them to the swim platform brace where it attaches to the transom. Should be super easy to do and easy to remove.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #14
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I am thinking of underwater lights. I was looking at some WM lights that only require a 1/4 hole in the transom. But if mounted to the bottom of the swim deck or the top of the trim tab I could run the wires through the same hole my davit wires run, hence no holes in the transom. mmmmmm

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...66?recordNum=3
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote