Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I feel that part of the mystique, the allure if you will... the romance I may say, of a Captain/Owner’s personal love/hate relationship with their “Pleasure” Cruiser Boat is enhanced by being able to feel we owners can actually take care of our “girl” in our own time and by our own ways.

Although VV sounds quite good in its intent and resulting actions... it seems to me VV would make boat and owner relationship rather sterile. Sort of like regimented ship actions in the Navy! During any Pleasure Boat and my relationship I like to be close to her, stay up on top of her needs, and even get a little messy with some heartfelt improvements, maintenance, or repairs I accomplish for her. Now that sounds sexy!

Yes – I’m a romantic at heart with any girl-boat I own (girl boats really do have a soul ya know, if you seek it you will find it and it will find you – lol)... after all, that’s exactly why throughout history seamen always refer to their boats in the female gender – e.g. she, her, baby, my girl, our floating female... and the like!

In similarity to our Admirals requirements... keep her (your boat) happy and everyone aboard is HAPPY! Just Sayen!!!

Happy Boat Luven Daze! - Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I feel that part of the mystique, the allure if you will... the romance I may say, of a Captain/Owner’s personal love/hate relationship with their “Pleasure” Cruiser Boat is enhanced by being able to feel we owners can actually take care of our “girl” in our own time and by our own ways.

Although VV sounds quite good in its intent and resulting actions... it seems to me VV would make boat and owner relationship rather sterile. Sort of like regimented ship actions in the Navy! During any Pleasure Boat and my relationship I like to be close to her, stay up on top of her needs, and even get a little messy with some heartfelt improvements, maintenance, or repairs I accomplish for her. Now that sounds sexy!

Yes – I’m a romantic at heart with any girl-boat I own (girl boats really do have a soul ya know, if you seek it you will find it and it will find you – lol)... after all, that’s exactly why throughout history seamen always refer to their boats in the female gender – e.g. she, her, baby, my girl, our floating female... and the like!

In similarity to our Admirals requirements... keep her (your boat) happy and everyone aboard is HAPPY! Just Sayen!!!

Happy Boat Luven Daze! - Art
Then I guess continuing your analogy, taking your wife or daughter to a doctor is sterile as well and you prefer to take care of them yourself?

No part of the allure of ownership to us involves performing maintenance.

We love our boats, even hated saying our final good bye to a charter yesterday that we'd spent a lot of time on. But we're all different.

Also, in this discussion we're not even talking about doing the maintenance but just how to keep on top of it. Seems a tool assisting one in doing that can quite helpful.

Wifey B: Oh and poor Art if he ever finds out his boat is actually not a "her" but a "he". hehe.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Then I guess continuing your analogy, taking your wife or daughter to a doctor is sterile as well and you prefer to take care of them yourself?

No part of the allure of ownership to us involves performing maintenance.

We love our boats, even hated saying our final good bye to a charter yesterday that we'd spent a lot of time on. But we're all different.

Also, in this discussion we're not even talking about doing the maintenance but just how to keep on top of it. Seems a tool assisting one in doing that can quite helpful.

Wifey B: Oh and poor Art if he ever finds out his boat is actually not a "her" but a "he". hehe.
Hubby B: Maintenance to me is part of allure for my classic boats and cars... like you said... we are all different...

Wifey B: Oh no Uncle Bill! Besides, I check each out carefully before we go to bed together! Ya know... I always tell em first, to: "Stop yer grinnen and drop yer linen! That's my method of survey!! LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #24
Guru

I do all my own maintenance work, but I hear from other boaters that are ponying up big bucks for jobs that would cost me chump change. It is cheaper for the "check-writer" to have a maintenance company replace a whole unit than have them spend even more time to rebuild it. What happens to the rebuildable units that are replaced?
Let us just say it pays to have friends in the business.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
I do all my own maintenance work, but I hear from other boaters that are ponying up big bucks for jobs that would cost me chump change. It is cheaper for the "check-writer" to have a maintenance company replace a whole unit than have them spend even more time to rebuild it. What happens to the rebuildable units that are replaced?
Let us just say it pays to have friends in the business.
If you do maintenance like Art because it's part of what you love then that's one thing.

If you do your own because of the financial aspect then really it's putting the amount you're saving versus the time spent and thinking of that as income. Essentially you're working for that. So let's say you spend 3 days and save $500, then you earned about $21 per hour. If you enjoy that work more than other work you could have been doing for the same rate, then it's a good job. In our case we can be doing other things we both enjoy doing more and can make more money doing with that time. Or, if one can afford it, just be doing something enjoyable.

Rebuildable units that are replaced generally end up rebuilt by someone or at the very least many of the parts used.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote