Old 08-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #1

City: Gainesville, FL
Center Console for the Dink

Well, after dealing with a sore shoulder for the past few months from turning halfway around and trying to manage the steering mass of a 25 hp 4-stroke outboard, I finally bit the bullet and converted my tiller-steered Suzuki to remote controls and a spiffy new fiberglass console.

The boat is an 11.5' 2010 West Marine 350 RIB (Zodiac Cadet.) This boat has fairly massive tubes - resulting in a pretty narrow interior - so I really needed a max 16" wide console. Fortunately, Defender had the PERFECT unit on clearance sale for $350. Teleflex Safe-T QC helm and cable, along with a bitchin' Amazon-sourced, 13.5" destroyer wheel with knob came to about another $200. Oh, and a surprisingly loud Pyle Audio amplifier/2-speaker setup for my iPod at only fifty-eight bucks.

The hard part was figuring out what actual Suzuki conversion parts I needed. Fortunately, George at Browns Point Suzuki in New Jersey was able to help me wade through the many side-mount controls, wiring harnesses, cables, engine conversion parts, and steering drag link kits to get exactly what I needed to "plug and play". I can't say enough good things about Browns Point Marine. They had EVERYTHING and shipped it to my door in three days. So, at about an even grand for the Suzuki parts, this conversion was now up over $1,600. Yikes.

Fortunately, all that was left to buy at the local BOW was a little breaker panel, a negative bus bar and some electrical ends, wires and such to connect the stereo and bilge pump.

After about 12 hours labor over the past couple days, it is complete and I am delighted with the result. We took a nice ride up to Deerfield for dinner at the Cove along with some other fellow liveaboards in their dinks. Fun was had by all...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1442.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	43000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy w- Console 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	43001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy w- Console 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	43002  
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
She looks great Kraftee. Nice work!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
Well, after dealing with a sore shoulder for the past few months from turning halfway around and trying to manage the steering mass of a 25 hp 4-stroke outboard, I finally bit the bullet and converted my tiller-steered Suzuki to remote controls and a spiffy new fiberglass console.

The boat is an 11.5' 2010 West Marine 350 RIB (Zodiac Cadet.) This boat has fairly massive tubes - resulting in a pretty narrow interior - so I really needed a max 16" wide console. Fortunately, Defender had the PERFECT unit on clearance sale for $350. Teleflex Safe-T QC helm and cable, along with a bitchin' Amazon-sourced, 13.5" destroyer wheel with knob came to about another $200. Oh, and a surprisingly loud Pyle Audio amplifier/2-speaker setup for my iPod at only fifty-eight bucks.

The hard part was figuring out what actual Suzuki conversion parts I needed. Fortunately, George at Browns Point Suzuki in New Jersey was able to help me wade through the many side-mount controls, wiring harnesses, cables, engine conversion parts, and steering drag link kits to get exactly what I needed to "plug and play". I can't say enough good things about Browns Point Marine. They had EVERYTHING and shipped it to my door in three days. So, at about an even grand for the Suzuki parts, this conversion was now up over $1,600. Yikes.

Fortunately, all that was left to buy at the local BOW was a little breaker panel, a negative bus bar and some electrical ends, wires and such to connect the stereo and bilge pump.

After about 12 hours labor over the past couple days, it is complete and I am delighted with the result. We took a nice ride up to Deerfield for dinner at the Cove along with some other fellow liveaboards in their dinks. Fun was had by all...
SHe looks Great
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Nice job.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
In the California Delta, Frisky pulling a center-console RIB on Middle River shortly before turning into Columbia Cut: