Old 12-01-2016, 03:29 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Cell phone signal on inland rivers

We are planning to spend next year cruising the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers. Since I still work (sadly) I have to have a pretty reliable cell phone signal, primarily for internet access when we're away from a wifi signal.

What has been everyone's experience with signal strength and consistency in these areas?

I have thought about getting a signal booste, but not sure if it's really necessary.

Thanks.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
My question fell off before anyone could answer, so I'm "refreshing" it.

Any input regarding cell phone coverage on the inland rivers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #3

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
I did the Tennessee in the summer of 2015, but have not experienced the Cumberland yet. While voice and text were usually available from both Verizon and ATT pretty much anywhere on the Tn, data in the more rural stretches (particularly upstream of Decatur Alabama) was often one or the other, or neither. Other carriers are usually available only near metro areas. The terrain is just not ideal for line of sight. But they're always upgrading. Beautiful trip, though.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Jeff Siegel, creator and owner of Active Captain, works from his boat and although he hasn't done the inland rivers of Tennessee (or maybe he has, not sure) he does need to stay connected almost every where, like you.

He has published a series of articles on using a mobile phone on your boat and the accessories needed to keep you connected: https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...ones/intro.php

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote