CCTV or Video To Record Your Boat Security/Boating Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DLP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Someday's Here
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42
I have read TF for a while now and still learning on what people are doing with their boats to make them ship shape and fit their lifestyle. It seems lately that I read about wakers, anchor dragging, SUPs,security and other issues that a camera system on a boat would prove beneficial. Seem like it would be nice to have a recording of a boat hitting yours whether at anchorage, Marina slip or in a channel. It would be great to monitor the engine room from flybridge or boats coming up on your stern.

So my question to you is, do you have a camera system on board for these situations?? It would be great to have evidence if needed or be more relaxed when on or off the boat!!!

When we did our electronics re-fit a few year back we installed a full AXIS IP camera system. We chose AXIS cameras as they are one of the ones that integrate natively with our Furuno electronics. The cameras have many features appropriate to a professional security installation, many of which we've adapted for our usage on the boat (for example you can set motion zones that trigger recording)

We have cameras pointed forward, back as well as 4 engine cameras a bilge camera plus plans for a few more. All are hardwired with ethernet and all are POE. I have internal memory cards in each camera that record continuously for a given number of hours plus recordings concurrently on the ship's computer (which is always running). Thankfully we've only had one minor incident where the recordings came in handy!

We normally dedicate one of our 3 main monitors to the cameras using the AXIS software which allows for multiple different displays including rotating views of each camera. In addition, since the cameras are IP cameras any device can bring up a live camera in a web browser. If we're concerned about getting waked or monitoring passing vessels, we'll bring up the rear camera on a helm mounted iPad or a full screen web browser on a monitor. Lying in bed at night we can quickly view a camera on an iPhone to check our surroundings. Lastly, you can view the cameras over the internet with an iOS app (don't know if there's an Android version) so as long as the boat is connected to the internet (which it normally is as long as there is cell or wifi signal) it's easy to check in from anywhere in the world.

Happy to answer any questions or provide more details.

WE have several Dlink cameras on the boat and at home.

They record, are accessable from anywhere on the world, work with no internet connection for local viewing, and are around $100 each

This is a live shot

Attachments

• B180D6FA-48C0-47C9-9FD3-64CC31A2E540.jpeg
    B180D6FA-48C0-47C9-9FD3-64CC31A2E540.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 168
One issue I have is probably silly but hey....

On a boat there are few places or directions that dont need watching at least occasionally....so I torment myself with how many cameras are needed for the coverage I want.

Without super duper cameras that have either lots of functions or are mythical.....ones with huge fields of view, great range, fine detail, all weather and light capabilities, etc....

I will probably just wind up with 2.

1 engine room and one aft facing for lower station docking and passing traffic.

I've often wondered if one of those inexpensive "dashcams" that automatically record with movement/while underway would be a good thing. Primarily for potential damage issues from other boaters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom