Cayenne pepper in bottom paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, they've all been sniffing cayenne pepper Andy. :D

My wife recently discovered that cayenne pepper discourages the neighborhood cats from using her gardens as a litter box, so we started buying it in bulk at our neighborhood grocery store. She filled a bag with a lb or so and walked toward the cart. Jokingly I asked her if she smelled it? Before I could stop her, she stuck her nose in the bag and took a whiff! She was still sneezing as I fled down the next aisle!

Does anyone know how to get cayenne pepper stains out of my favorite shirt? :D

My wife recently discovered that cayenne pepper discourages the neighborhood cats from using her gardens as a litter box, so we started buying it in bulk at our neighborhood grocery store. She filled a bag with a lb or so and walked toward the cart. Jokingly I asked her if she smelled it? Before I could stop her, she stuck her nose in the bag and took a whiff! She was still sneezing as I fled down the next aisle!

Does anyone know how to get cayenne pepper stains out of my favorite shirt? :D

Stuck your favorite shirt in a bucket full of cayenne pepper, shake well, check it, if you still see some spot do it again. At the end your shirt should be covered in cayenne pepper and the stains won't be visible anymore.

OK, WTH, for the fun of it I'm going to paint a price of fiberglass board I have laying around with the same brand of bottom paint.

One half with a healthy dose of Cayenne pepper, and the other half without any added pepper and hang it off the dock.

Between the two paints will be a blank strip of board with no paint on it.

Stay tuned. :D

the write up in Yachting, from Florida, said 2 cups of cayenne
per gallon of bottom paint

Ted

OK, WTH, for the fun of it I'm going to paint a price of fiberglass board I have laying around with the same brand of bottom paint.

One half with a healthy dose of Cayenne pepper, and the other half without any added pepper and hang it off the dock.

Between the two paints will be a blank strip of board with no paint on it.

Stay tuned. :D

Way ta go Cap'n. Oh, I think you meant piece of fibreglass board, not price. Want me to edit that for you if you can't..? :popcorn:

I think I got called a dumb ass early on by Wes. Doesn't matter to me because I did what I did for a reason and it didn't work out. ... Been called a dumbass many times since. All good, been dubbing around with boats for 50 plus years ,and thats not even close to the dumbest things I've done. I just thank the boat gods that most were before the INTERNET!.. Hope to see some TF"ers at Ft Pierce.

laugh and snicker boys but we charter captains in the keys use it along with antibiotics and use a high copper paint and then add more copper powder. haven't hauled in 3.5 years.

laugh and snicker boys but we charter captains in the keys use it along with antibiotics and use a high copper paint and then add more copper powder. haven't hauled in 3.5 years.

I've got news for you chief- any high quality anti fouling paint, properly applied and maintained will provide good service for 3+ years, without adding anything to it. You're fooling yourself if you think you're improving the product with your kitchen sink chemistry. And I'll tell you another thing- intentionally introducing antibiotics to the marine environment is a shi**y thing to do.

No laughter or snickering here.
Antibiotics in antifouling paint? What`s that about? You don`t want the barnacles to get sick? You want to increase antibiotic resistance by their misuse?

No laughter or snickering here.
Antibiotics in antifouling paint? What`s that about? You don`t want the barnacles to get sick? You want to increase antibiotic resistance by their misuse?

One good point of this recipe is that if you feel you got a cold you just have to jump overboard and lick your hull for a good dose of cure :rofl:

L.

any high quality anti fouling paint, properly applied and maintained will provide good service for 3+ years

Can you name a couple bottom paints and your opinion on what the proper maintenance should be to get 3 years? Im going to be heading into the Caribbean next year and haul outs every 3 years vs. annually or even more than that would be awesome.

(P.S. I have no dog in the rest of the thread, I just would appreciate on more info in regards to your comment)

Can you name a couple bottom paints and your opinion on what the proper maintenance should be to get 3 years? Im going to be heading into the Caribbean next year and haul outs every 3 years vs. annually or even more than that would be awesome.

(P.S. I have no dog in the rest of the thread, I just would appreciate on more info in regards to your comment)

For maximum longevity and performance, I recommend any of the Pettit Trinidad line.

On reflection,maybe if you meant "biocide" instead of "antibiotics" that part could make some sense. Though the wisdom of putting biocides in the water is an issue in itself.

Don't know where you are going in the Caribbean but if you plan on going to Freeport Bahamas, make a stop at Charlton Knowles Marina. Had my bottom paint done there a month ago. 1/2 the price as here, got a vacation out of it, took 4 days including sanding, fixing a few blisters, primed and applied Caribbean Gold. It is a super long lasting paint. Charlton will also let you work on other things yourself should you want to do through hulls, etc. He has a Florida number for easy contact. I recommend him highly as does the reviews on Active Captain.

hotel stay

hi, donna

where did you stay at while your boat was in the yard? thanks for the good info.

craig

On reflection,maybe if you meant "biocide" instead of "antibiotics" that part could make some sense. Though the wisdom of putting biocides in the water is an issue in itself.

No, he meant antibiotics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom