Cavitation issue Mainship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyboss

Vessel Name
Skyboss
Vessel Make
2007 Mainship Pilot
Hey everyone, I'm looking at a 34 Mainship Pilot 2 that the broker says cavitates above 2000 RPM.He says he tried to put on 5 blade prop to mitigate issue but didn't work. Also says previous owner extended keel for some reason ( I assume the same). Any ideas ? Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Search for pilot cavitation and you will find several threads on the subject. No need in repeating for this thread. Your broker's seller is the first that has reported trying a 5 blade prop. Surprised it didn't help.

David

Single engine with a Keel ahead of the prop? Is the keel back end very blunt?

A couple fellows I knew with very different boats reshaped their keel just ahead of the prop. so the water could flow better instead of creating vortices.

One of them was a shipwright and he had done the same to a couple other boats for noise reduction.

Consider it. A blunt, wide keel end may make the boat prone to this.

Skyboss, you are fortunate to deal with a frank and informative sellers broker. Hope you find the answer, there must be owners of those boats who know, it`s likely to be a well ploughed meadow.

there must be owners of those boats who know, it`s likely to be a well ploughed meadow.

This issue is indeed well plowed. The Mod C Electric mentioned is called "keel fairing" in the Mainship community. A former faithful Attitude Adjustment Jay was the first or one of the first to do it on a Mainship MKI. I did it on my olde MKI as well, although this was not the typical "fix" for the Pilots.

I will also echo what David said about the 5 blade, which was the typical solution.

As mentioned, this is well plowed, search here and the Yahoo site and you will find more than you ever wanted to know.

:socool:

This is a pic of the fairing job I did that solved the vibration problem on my old 34 Mainship.
It's just 2 blocks of pressure treated 4x4 that I rough shaped, epoxied to the hull, then finish shaped with a grinder and fiber glassed it all to the hull.

Attachments

• prop.jpg
    prop.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom