Old 05-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Somerville
Vessel Name: Kristine
Vessel Model: DeFever 53 POC
Caterpillar 3208 Turbo Fuel Injector Pump

Hello All,

I truly hope everyone has an opportunity to enjoy this special holiday while keeping in mind those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice so we may enjoy the freedoms we have!

I have a 3208 Turbo on our DeFever 53 and she has decided to take the weekend off! Fortunately we are staying on terra firma and not competing with the crazies on the water.

After I had done minor maintenance, the starboard engine would not start. She cranked with gusto but would not lite off.

I replaced the primary filters, the secondary filters and bled the fuel system. I even checked the shut off solenoid. Still no luck!!

When checking the shut off solenoid, I noticed fuel under the solenoid. Hmmm, me thinks it's not supposed to be there. I compare with the other side and she is dry!

My next thought is I have a problem with the fuel pump.

Does anyone have an idea of a fuel pump replacement cost?

Should I do both engines with the idea that if one has failed, then the other is next to go!

How complicated is it to replace?

I'll hang up now and listen.

Enjoy the weekend!!

Rusty
M/V Kristine

DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS
oceancrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Guru

If it is in fact your injector pump that has failed any good fuel injector shop could rebuild it good as new. If you do the removal yourself you will need a Shop manual as it is. a bit complicated I still would suspect a fuel shut off solenoid. Sometimes if you give it a little tap why energizing it it will loosen up
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello Motion30,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I also thought it may be the shutoff solenoid however after removing it and applying some gentle taps with a rubber mallet, there was no difference in the movement of the plunger when power was applied.

I don't think this will be a DIY project and certainly not without some adult supervision but I am always wanting to learn.

Thanks again,

Rusty
Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
One thing to always check are the kill buttons on Cat 3208’s. When they get older they some times stick. They look like they have full returned but some times they haven’t and a small tug will pull them that last 1/4” which makes the difference.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I had a stop switch go bad on one of my Lehmans. It would not let the engine crank though.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
If your fuel solenoid shut off is not working and in the closed position you can not bleed the system. Have you loosened the injector line nuts at the injectors and seen clean fuel with no air coming out of each one? If not your not getting fuel.

My guess is go back to the last thing you did. You replaced the fuel filters. You have air in the lines.

As far as seeing fuel around the solenoid shut off, are you seeing it down in the valley between the heads? Of course if you don’t clean up after yourself your going to see fuel there. CAT 3208 are known for fuel leaking around the throttle shaft seals and some of the other seals with age. If that’s the case the only fix is an injection pump rebuild. Last one I had done about 3 years ago ran around $1700 not including labor at the boat. Replacing the injection pump is generally not a do it yourself kind of a job. It does require special tools for removal.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
If your fuel solenoid shut off is not working and in the closed position you can not bleed the system. Have you loosened the injector line nuts at the injectors and seen clean fuel with no air coming out of each one? If not your not getting fuel.

My guess is go back to the last thing you did. You replaced the fuel filters. You have air in the lines.

As far as seeing fuel around the solenoid shut off, are you seeing it down in the valley between the heads? Of course if you don’t clean up after yourself your going to see fuel there. CAT 3208 are known for fuel leaking around the throttle shaft seals and some of the other seals with age. If that’s the case the only fix is an injection pump rebuild. Last one I had done about 3 years ago ran around $1700 not including labor at the boat. Replacing the injection pump is generally not a do it yourself kind of a job. It does require special tools for removal.
Odd that we are going thru this right now...

First, I agree that you have air in the lines somewhere.

Our situation- I noticed some fuel below the front left side of the starboard engine (3208TA 375 hp). There are 3 plastic lines coming off the front of the injector pump that terminate in the same area- one was dripping. The engine ran perfectly, and cranked up as normal.

Radke Diesel came out and diagnosed that the leak was from a tattletale, and indicated a leaking seal. The tech also found fuel in the valley between the heads.

The repair, including pump rebuild, pressure test/clean/rebuild of the aftercooler and labor is around $3400.

I am very mechanically oriented, and chose to have a professional do this rather than attempt a DIY- I don’t know how to retime the engine while reinstalling the pump.

A replacement pump starts around $4000 or so- then you have the labor on top of that.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 PM   #8
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
So engine was running fine, then you changed filters, and then it would not start? I would not suspect that the injection pump failed right then, but that you got it air loaded and did not re-prime it right.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
So engine was running fine, then you changed filters, and then it would not start? I would not suspect that the injection pump failed right then, but that you got it air loaded and did not re-prime it right.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
+2, always check what you did last. Not likeeely there a2 simultaneously occuring problems. It is possible just not likely. Besides Ski is always right.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hello All,

I have always felt I was losing prime somehow or someway. A few weeks ago, I was on a day trip and on the last leg home, the starboard engine would not start. With the sense I was losing prime, I cracked a couple injector lines and purged fuel thru them. The engine started as usual.

I agree with many of our responders... go back to the last thing you did and ask yourself, is this the problem? Often I can cause my own emergency!

The kill switch (fuel shutoff solenoid) is working properly so right now I am eliminating that as a potential roadblock to my engine not starting.

I keep going back to the fuel injection pump. Why do I have fuel below the shutoff solenoid on the "non starting" engine and it's dry on the "starting" engine? Shouldn't it be dry?

As a "DIY'r", I make every attempt to follow the motto of "do no harm" when making repairs. The worst nightmare is causing more damage whilst making a repair. Therefore I am calling in the Calvary and hopefully will have a resolution soon.

I truly appreciate all the helpful advice and recommendations from my fellow boaters.

I will keep you posted.

All the best,

Rusty
Old 05-25-2019, 06:16 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
The starter motor running well?
I just arrived from St Maarten and got some problem to sart my starboard 3208 motor, I cleaned all the contacts, changed the solenoid and breaker, and at least I found a bed contact in the positive sindal bar, a loose nut
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #13
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceancrosser View Post
Hello All,

I have always felt I was losing prime somehow or someway. A few weeks ago, I was on a day trip and on the last leg home, the starboard engine would not start. With the sense I was losing prime, I cracked a couple injector lines and purged fuel thru them. The engine started as usual.

I agree with many of our responders... go back to the last thing you did and ask yourself, is this the problem? Often I can cause my own emergency!

The kill switch (fuel shutoff solenoid) is working properly so right now I am eliminating that as a potential roadblock to my engine not starting.

I keep going back to the fuel injection pump. Why do I have fuel below the shutoff solenoid on the "non starting" engine and it's dry on the "starting" engine? Shouldn't it be dry?

As a "DIY'r", I make every attempt to follow the motto of "do no harm" when making repairs. The worst nightmare is causing more damage whilst making a repair. Therefore I am calling in the Calvary and hopefully will have a resolution soon.

I truly appreciate all the helpful advice and recommendations from my fellow boaters.

I will keep you posted.

All the best,

Rusty
My pump had the same situation- turns out it was a compromised lip seal. Sounds like the pump will have to be (at the least) removed and resealed.

Still think that the non-start condition is due to air in the system.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #14
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Fuel in the shutdown solenoid "bucket" can be fixed by simply removing pump top cover and resealing bucket.

Still sounds like an air problem. Get some fittings and some clear plastic hose and temporarily connect to supply and return fittings. Get engine reprimed and started, and see if you have air going into pump and/or coming out. Post what you see. Air in means problem between engine and tank. Air out but not in means other things, takes too long to type that.

Post what you see.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Fuel in the shutdown solenoid "bucket" can be fixed by simply removing pump top cover and resealing bucket.

Post what you see.
Ski,

I hope it will be as simple as resealing the bucket or lip seal, but Murphy lives on our boat, so I am expecting the worse and praying for the best.

Reluctantly I did call the Calvary (mechanic) and they will be attacking this issue after the holiday.

It has always been my policy to be present when work is being done on our boat since I LEARN from these talented technicians. Unfortunately after 40 years and 6 months of flying jets around the world, I will be flying my LAST trip as a commercial airline from Beijing, China on May 31st. My 65th birthday is in the first week of June thus forcing me out at the end of May.

Thanks again for everyone's contribution. It has all been helpful.

All the best,

Rusty and Kris Bliss
M/V KRISTINE
DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS