Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Cat aboard?

Anyone keep a cat with them on a trawler? Dogs would be simpler but how about a cat?

Short story long I got a kitty well for the now ex she wanted a ragdoll cat I got for one as a kitten and well now im leaning more to living aboard I wonder how a cat would do if I had to keep him and she will not pay the rest on him.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I've known several that have cruised extensively with a cat. The critters seemed to adapt to boat life just fine. I'm sure there are some would not adapt. Ease the critter onto the boat and let it get used to it. Once used to it, take a short trip and see how it does. On first trips keep the cat secured somehow so it can't jump off the boat.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #3

City: Houston
Ships cats have been around for time eternal. In fact I'd say they're far simpler to have on board than a dog. And I'm a dog person.

ps: This post is sooo ripe for some great jokes but I don't want to be banned...
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #4

I just think my Jinx would either slip in the water or run away on the dock and not listen. Then again I guess he would be used to a harness and leash by then.

Jokes are jokes. I used to drive tractor trailers now im ready for the water travels.

i was walking in NYC the other day this black guy asked me if the Yankees won. I relpied yeah your free.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
Anyone keep a cat with them on a trawler? Dogs would be simpler but how about a cat?
Cats are far easier
They are smart enough to use a tray to crap in and bury it vs a dog that has to go ashore daily or crap all over the deck.

12 mths with a cat onboard, no trouble whatsoever.

She went over the side one evening while chasing swallows.
Did a lap of the boat before we scooped her out with a landing net, hasn't fallen in since.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Cats are far easier
They are smart enough to use a tray to crap in and bury it vs a dog that has to go ashore daily or crap all over the deck.

12 mths with a cat onboard, no trouble whatsoever.
My fear I guess is him falling off or running ashore to explore. He is a ragdoll very very docile. Never thought id like a cat till this guy.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Guru

When we come into a fuel dock our's will walk the rails looking, but she's never hopped off.
She's a small tiger, very adventurous, pulls the occasional swallow from the sky and eats whole fish that we throw at her.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #8

Wow swallows. I would think a tiger would wonder more to like a bangle.

Im looking at something to start with under 30' and hope its enough.

I believe he would love fish if I gave it to him.

I guess only one way to find out.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #9

City: Houston
At home our cat lives almost exclusively outside on the covered deck. Seems completely content unless there's thunder - then we let her inside. Anyway, she's spayed and never leaves the yard. (Being fixed is important to stop roaming tendencies)

I would just take him with you to the boat each time while he's young, give him a bed and a litter box (enclosed is nice) and keep his food /water out.

They're all different of course but in my experience cats tend to sleep...eat...sleep....sleep....look around....change spots...go back to sleep.

A good friend of my parents lived aboard and had a Severe Macaw. Warm climate so it's cage hung on the aft deck. In the covered slip, the cage door stayed open and it would climb around in the rafters of the boat house. Sam was a "rescue" bird and the thing was like a burglar alarm. Freakishly smart - it could say all sorts of things - mostly embarrassing and ill-timed. I remember Sam could whistle a cat-call and say "Heyyyy ba-by!" real distinctly when someone approached the boat - sounded human. It also said , "What's THAT?!" occasionally from up in the rafters. He said it was 35 years old.

I always thought a parrot would be a nice touch if I could get it to sit on my shoulder.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post

I always thought a parrot would be a nice touch if I could get it to sit on my shoulder.
Mate had a cockatoo that sits on his shoulder.
He always has shit on his shirt as well.
He had it for 15 years then he got married and his new wife made him get rid of it, he should have got rid of her instead.

Cockatoos live a long time and grow very attached, poor thing ended up losing all its feathers and dying well before its time.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post

Short story long I got a kitty well for the now ex she wanted a ragdoll cat I got for one as a kitten and well now im leaning more to living aboard I wonder how a cat would do if I had to keep him and she will not pay the rest on him.
Wifey B: Oh yes yes yes, I love ragdolls. From what I know some of them seem to be able to swim and some are terrified of even trying. I'd sort of assume that sometime it's gonna leap and miss and end up in the water, so I'd really want to find out first. Perhaps take it to the pool or something and just see.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:04 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
can they swim with diving weights attached?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:22 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
can they swim with diving weights attached?
Only when checking the crab pot. :-)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:26 AM   #14
FF
Guru

We have had cats on board while living aboard and cruising.

The cat loves to ride in the dink , and we have a tube of rolled carpet that hangs down on the stern .

After a dink ride she would climb back aboard with her own "ladder".

We love to anchor out and one cat was saved after going overboard 2 times , the other 1 time.

WE worry about regaining the deck for humans so usually install a method.

Do the same for your cat!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #15

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: Theresa
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 66 LRMY
Here's our resident princess on the foredeck.
Her favourite job is chasing seagulls from one side of the bridge to the other as they fly past.
She prefers the boat over the house, me too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0523.jpg  
stornoway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #16

CCreamer Jinx stays indoors only got out a few times and he just turned 3 last week.

WifeyB he hates the water. I think the one time when he was young the bath we tried to give him went real bad. Thats my fear of him falling in.

FF I kinda wanna see if he would be ok on the lake here maybe when I find his harness before the end of the season. Looks like its possible.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stornoway7 View Post
Here's our resident princess on the foredeck.
Her favourite job is chasing seagulls from one side of the bridge to the other as they fly past.
She prefers the boat over the house, me too.
Id prefer the boat to once I get one secured. Happy girl.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #18
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Every cat I've known hates the water, but are actually very good swimmers. Just don't like it. And yep, a strip of carpet or a landing net is handy. Don't try to grab a cat out of the water. He'll climb straight up your arm.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #19
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
We've got a 15 yr old cat, and I'm very reluctant to take it boating, let alone on the loop trip coming up. A young cat may adapt, but I'm afraid a 15 yr old will be nothing but a hassle.

But, he's fairly "user friendly" at home. Never makes a mess, doesn't wander far.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
We have a friend who was attacked by their onboard cat a few weeks ago. Had to go to ER for treatment. Her arm is a mess. Cat bites and deep scratches can be troublesome.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote