Carver 440 Aft cabin....Looper boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbowlby

I really like the Carver 440 aft cabin for space.
With a max bridge clearance of 18.75 it poses a problem for the Great Loop.
Anyone doing the loop with this boat?
Anyone out there know of workarounds, radar arch removal, ect...?

Thank you.

I just did a copy and paste to an article I link below:

In very general terms, what would you recommend in terms of boat types, lengths, draft?

The Great Loop can be done in virtually any type of vessel, as long as draft doesn’t exceed 9 feet and height from the waterline is less than 19 feet, 1 inch. Sailboats must have masts that can be lowered. The Loop has been done on PWC. I have two Canadian friends from Georgian Bay who did it in a 21-foot sailboat with a 9.9-hp engine. We did it in our 46-foot Maxum, and our friends from St. Petersburg, Fla., did it in their Hatteras 65, as I mentioned earlier. Among the most prevalent boats on the Loop are the many Taiwan-built trawlers with single 120-hp Lehman diesels. There were thousands of these 38- to 44-footers built in the 1970s and ’80s, and they have the proper draft and are inexpensive.

TAGSARCHIVES
BY SOUNDINGS EDITORS

https://www.soundingsonline.com/new...xt=The Great Loop can be,than 19 feet, 1 inch.

If you want to do the TSW, and it is awesome, your draft can’t exceed 6’. You will have to sign a waiver over 5’.

Is that the height to the top of the arch or something else, such as the radar or anchor/steaming light? If you are really paranoid, you could talk to a yard about hinging that little portion above the aft hardtop. Looks like it would be a great loop boat, a lot to like there.

It's listed on the spec's as "max bridge clearance 17'.75"

You'd have to measure the actual boat being considered. Who knows what various prior owners have installed or modified over the years.

That sounds awfully high. My big tubby Hatteras 56MY could get down to 18'9" with the arch lowered.

Back
Top Bottom