Carver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw quite a few of these in the marinas yesterday, a couple for sale even. I like the look of a couple that were aft cabin design. Are these displacement hull boats? I don't see much on Trawler forum about carvers?

We have a dock neighbor in Michigan who has a 40 something ft Carver. We thought it was a fairly new boat. One day when we were talking to him, he mentioned he bought the boat new 30 years ago. We were stunned. He does have meticulous care taken on it and it is in heated winter storage in the winter but it is still amazing to have a boat look 20+ years younger than it is.

If you are interested in a Carver don't overlook SeaRays, Silvertons and Bayliners in the similar size and layout range. They all have some +s and -s.

Carvers are not displacement hulls. They are a planing or semi planing hull like many, I dare say most of the boats owned by folks at "trawler forum"

There is a gorgeous 60' or thereabouts Carver across from us. A very nice looking boat indeed!

You can't make any generalizations about Carvers. Like other mass producers, they have made some nicely engineered and constructed boats over the years, and some real ergonomic and build quality horror shows. One of TF's most avid cruisers, "Timjet", had cruised his aft cabin model all over the eastern US.

One of TF's most avid cruisers, "Timjet", had cruised his aft cabin model all over the eastern US.

I am pretty sure he is still "out there"!!!

Carvers are pure planing hulls.. And I think Caltex said it well. They have made some good boats...and maybe not so good. The boat I own now(Carver 356) was one of those models that I just always liked. I always kept my eye on them and always kept my eye on the market. And then it came looking for me!!! I will be honest. I had low expectations. And then when I started going through the boat I was surprised that somebody was actually thinking when they designed it. There will always be compromises and limitations on a boat this size. Another thing to consider is factory support. Carver is still in business and it is nice to be able to call them for parts or at least for references on where to find parts. Anyway, I am not here to say they are the best boats on earth. But I think if you are open minded, they should be considered and represent a decent value.

If you are interested in a Carver don't overlook SeaRays, Silvertons and Bayliners in the similar size and layout range. They all have some +s and -s.

Don't forget the older Mainships too.

Another thing to consider is all these brands came equipped with either gas or diesel engines. Pissing contests aside the gas powered versions represent a fantastic value in the under 38 foot size range. One of our members (Tony I believe) and his wife are having the time of their lives cruising a gas powered 36' aft cabin along the Gulf Coast.

John "Baker" summed it up nicely. We have the same boat his a few years newer. I have never owned a cruising boat other than this one so I can't really comment on comparisons, but will say that the room on our aft cabin is spacious for a 35, until you have to work on it. We can cruise at 16 kts on plane but typically cruise at 7.5 kts.

Carver can be an excellent boat for Coastal Cruising. The biggest criticism I've heard is of problems when delivered new and difficulty getting warranty service at that time. However, this doesn't impact most boats past the first year or two and those on the used market are beyond this type issue. Then survey always protects you further.

Carver, to me, has always had a good quality boat but not always good quality assurance. By that I mean the hull, the structure, the basic equipment good. But them just not checking everything thoroughly enough and letting some sloppiness with equipment, installations, wiring or plumbing out the door. But nothing generally that wasn't correctable and those type things typical for companies going through various financial challenges and ownership changes over the years.

They throw a monster wake.

Conall

They throw a monster wake.

I know they do have a reputation on the ICW: "Carver wake."

Carver is known for maximizing interior and usable exterior space. I suspect that results in "fat" hulls carried well forward, in heavy boats...

But then too, I see lots of ads for Carvers with only standard power packages... especially gas engines on heavy boats... so maybe some of the optional propulsion packages would plane the boats better and eliminate that "fat entry" thing.

As to the ICW, managing overtaking situations can be sorted easily enough... as long as both boats can agree on a plan. (Lots of reasons why this sometimes doesn't happen, but I don't have much sympathy for complainers who refuse to be part of the negotiation. Wah.)

-Chris

I know they do have a reputation on the ICW: "Carver wake."

Carver is known for maximizing interior and usable exterior space. I suspect that results in "fat" hulls carried well forward, in heavy boats...

But then too, I see lots of ads for Carvers with only standard power packages... especially gas engines on heavy boats... so maybe some of the optional propulsion packages would plane the boats better and eliminate that "fat entry" thing.

As to the ICW, managing overtaking situations can be sorted easily enough... as long as both boats can agree on a plan. (Lots of reasons why this sometimes doesn't happen, but I don't have much sympathy for complainers who refuse to be part of the negotiation. Wah.)

-Chris

Amen, Chris!!!! Next week we embark on a 100 mile trip with over 100 boats!!! In the skipper's meeting I always reiterate this point about a proper pass. And all the sailboat folks look at me like I have two heads. In the end, it worked out pretty well since most people in this group actuall listen to their radios.

As for wakes, I think Carver designs their hulls for maximum lift. Which means a pretty flat stern end. I think that might be why. My 35ft 25k pound boat throws a pretty large wake at 17kts.

I cruise my carver 440 with several sea rays. they are the real wakemakers probably because of their tunnels and V drives putting the engines far aft.
However any heavy boat on plane will make a good sized wake. Some folks find it easier to complain about wakes than cooperate for a slow pass.

In response to the OP MY Carver 44 has been a great boat for 15 years. Handles very well at bow down slow speed cruise and handles well at speed. Runs fairly flat at speed in calm seas with tabs down. If I were to buy another boat I sure would look seriously at another 440.
All carvers are not the same from model to model and year to year. My hull has a keel 11 degree V aft sharp bow entry and shelf chines to reduce running surface on plane and reduce roll at anchor. Good bow flare provides a reasonable dry ride in as big seas and close as I care to run. Handles around the dock like a dream and I can make it dance but that comes with practice. I have received many compliments on harbor maneuvering trust me it is not all me this is a heavy boat that responds well to a gentile touch.
Fuel use is typical of 38,000 44' boat with 2-3 NMPG at 7-9 knots and you done want to know at 18-20K.

I always go slow in the water ways but plane in longer offshore trips.

IMO Carver build a great boat not valued or understood buy the folks who insist on the maker calling their product a trawler.

I saw a 32' Carver Mariner for sale in one of the marinas in Biloxi yesterday. I did some looking online and it seems they pack a lot of boat on that 32 feet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom