Carrying A Canoe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
We are thinking of getting a two person canoe. Looking at one that is 14.6 long. While I could lay it along one side of the boat deck I would rather not have it in the interior space.
I have seem many vessels with kayaks and canoes strapped to the outside of the rails. For those that do this, how are you fixing the boat to the rails - bungee cords or other?

Not interested in a kayak. Plus $2K?:eek:

There are nice stainless racks that clamp to stations that fold in when nit in use.

Not sure they are wide enough for canoes as I have seen them for kayaks.

Whatever you put out there. Make sure that it can drain well so it doesn't become too heavy.

There are some nice ones on the market, but for SUP's. I think it will be difficult to find something large enough to hold a wide, 2 person. Perhaps a custom fab job. Expensive, but could be worth it if you use them a lot.

I carry a 21 ft. long outrigger along the gunwale. It has been on 250 mile long trips, and no issues. Not sure it would work with your rail config.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 163
Our Europa style flybridge has a dandy railing outside the flybridge enclosure. I made a davit suitable for the kayak and Sue can deploy and stow it herself while I nap. I fear a canoe would not fit so well there, what with the usual upturned ends. We used to carry this kayak on the foredeck of the sailboat. Simply tied it to the lifeline stanchions while aboard or underway and tied it upside down to the deck when off the boat. Workable but inconvenient and clumsy.

I think carrying such an object outboard of the rail sounds like trouble when docking or underway in sloppy conditions. That said, it should be easy enough to make/have made ell-shaped brackets where the upstanding legs are along a stanchion and/or affixed to the hull and the outstanding legs could rotate back along the hull when the canoe was elsewhere.

Well, harrumpf! Pics loaded sideways.

Attachments

• 2106-08-18 KayakDavit Installed 001.jpg
    2106-08-18 KayakDavit Installed 001.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 2106-08-18 KayakDavit Installed 002.jpg
    2106-08-18 KayakDavit Installed 002.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 2106-08-18 KayakDavit Installed 003.jpg
    2106-08-18 KayakDavit Installed 003.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 174
If you're looking at a canoe. Look up a gheenoe nmz. They are 120 lbs dry. Can handle 15hp kicker and you can paddle them with no issues. Also they are a lot more stable than a canoe. Only down side is they are a bit wide in the middle so storage might be a bit harder.

Got some stainless steel brackets that mount to my railing stantions from these folks. If they don't offer for canoes, I sure they would custom make you some. Very happy with the quality and service.

garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=58

Ted

We are looking at an entry level canoe just for tooling around after anchoring - not fishing or putting a motor on. Something we wouldn't mind tossing after 5 or 6 years if it gets banged about. And only weighs 80 pounds.

Something like this:

Old Town Saranac 14'6" 3-Person Canoe | Academy

Here's a Nordhavn set up that could work for a canoe. It looks like they fold out of the way when not in use. The only issue I see is the kayak sticks out beyond the rub rail so you would have to be careful docking if there are tall piles along the finger.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 155
We are thinking of getting a two person canoe. Looking at one that is 14.6 long. While I could lay it along one side of the boat deck I would rather not have it in the interior space.

I have seem many vessels with kayaks and canoes strapped to the outside of the rails. For those that do this, how are you fixing the boat to the rails - bungee cords or other?

We carry kayaks on the boat just as we did our sailboat. We got Kayak racks from Gaurhauer that are simply a stainless "L" shaped bracket that bolts to the base of a stanchion. The kayaks rest on their side between two of them. They are great for Kayaks but am not sure how they would work for a canoe.

I will see if I can find a photo.

I see that others have already made the same suggestion. Garhauer has a reputation for being very happy to customize things for boaters.

Last edited:
14ft 6" of canoe is going to take some handling to lift store and launch. As the actress said to the Bishop(or was it the other way around), it`s bigger than it looks, especially during handling. Hope it goes well.

14ft 6" of canoe is going to take some handling to lift store and launch. As the actress said to the Bishop(or was it the other way around), it`s bigger than it looks, especially during handling. Hope it goes well.

Yes, I made sure to feel under the gunnels. I have a four point lifting strap from an old tender that I can fix to the fore and aft lifting points and under the gunnels, and then raise and lower with the davit. Though frankly at 80# I may just put a long painter on it and chuck it over the side!

If I can do it with a kayak, you should be able to do it with a canoe.

DSCN1743.jpg

Ted

... at 80# I may just put a long painter on it and chuck it over the side!
That`s how I launch my sit on kayak, but an open canoe, maybe not.

That is how I launch my kayaks as well. Long painter and lower it down pointy end first. Reverse to bring it up. I can do it solo but it is easier with another pair of hands. I could use the crane but haven't needed to yet.

That`s how I launch my sit on kayak, but an open canoe, maybe not.

Bruce I launched this transom dinghy stern first quite a few times on a painter from the cabin top and didm't ship any water. Most canoes have a small deck at the ends and would probably launch dry as well. Instead of attaching the painter to the bow one could attach to a seat and lower the canoe down a bit sideways and have better lick that way. Don't know .. just an idea. Most canoes have a bit of tumblehome.

I made my electronics platform high enough so I could carry a canoe or other longer dink under the platform/plank.

Attachments

• STH71275 copy 2.jpg
    STH71275 copy 2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Refer to my post #6. I (Sue...) lift(s) the kayak with a bridle from amidships, tied through the kayak's prepared, sleeved holes which are about 2' apart. The thing arrives on the flybridge hanging bottom-out and nearly on edge, perfect for lowering into the space between rail and flybridge enclosure. The thing arrives at the water and flops down right-side-up since it hangs on edge but slightly askew in the correct direction. The bridle has a bight and the falls has a carabiner. The thing weighs about 45lbs so it would be possible to simply manhandle it up or down.

Concurrent chat about dinghies; if you have a pretty one like the one above, they row much more easily.

I`m getting close to fitting the St Croix crane, getting a backing plate made up in s/s. I could use it for the kayak, as well as the dinghy, but you lose the fun of hurling it into the water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom