Old 12-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Inventory Book

After reading and recommending checks lists on another thread I was wondering if anyone here kept an Inventory List.
My Inventory List has expanded to 10 type written pages which contains parts, tools,misc. stuff and where they are located. I even use the space under the bottom drawers in cabinets. Everything from Charts to soldering iron kits fit under there - just remove the bottom drawer. There is an 8" gap under my bed between the water tanks and the bed platform. That works good for spare hoses, spare pumps, etc.
Nothing worse than knowing you have a spare hidden somewhere on the boat and can't find it.
I cant live without my inventory list.
Anyone else have one?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Puerto Escondido, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Vessel Name: Pacific
Vessel Model: DeFever 38
I have an Excel spreadsheet containing all spare parts, tools, equipment, etc. on the boat. The initial setup of the spreadsheet was a PITA, as all this STUFF had to be inventoried and entered into my laptop.

In the spreadsheet, column headings describe the specific storage location, and items in that location are detailed in rows below. It is a simple matter to use the FIND function (ctrl-f) on the keyboard, enter a key word for the item, and there it is.

Even then, equipment that you know is aboard sometimes doesn't show up.....aaargh!, because you forgot to enter it initially, or it was moved and the location was not updated.

With all the nooks, crannies and storage spots on the boat, there is no way I could keep track of what is where without this spreadsheet.
BajaTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Guru

I have a spare parts list I keep electronically. Wife keeps a food list on paper when we cruise for more than a week or so.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaTrawler View Post
I have an Excel spreadsheet containing all spare parts, tools, equipment, etc. on the boat. The initial setup of the spreadsheet was a PITA, as all this STUFF had to be inventoried and entered into my laptop.

In the spreadsheet, column headings describe the specific storage location, and items in that location are detailed in rows below. It is a simple matter to use the FIND function (ctrl-f) on the keyboard, enter a key word for the item, and there it is.

Even then, equipment that you know is aboard sometimes doesn't show up.....aaargh!, because you forgot to enter it initially, or it was moved and the location was not updated.

With all the nooks, crannies and storage spots on the boat, there is no way I could keep track of what is where without this spreadsheet.
This sounds very similiar to my virtual inventory list.

I keep it in the cloud, not google's cloud, but an actual cloud.

The Dauntless First Mate calls it virtually no list, as it is in my mind and whenever I need a spare, picture a roulette wheel, every once it a while, I find the spare in its allocated position.

Sometimes i even find the spare of the spare because i couldn't find the first spare when I needed it last time.

But the absolutely worst location, is that location that seemed so obvious at the time of storage, but then is never seen again

It's on my list of things to do this winter.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
When we moved from our little 22 C-Dory to our 26-footer, we spent quite a while thinking about where to stow what - there were many more storage places. Made a list which is now 12 pages or so of everything and where it was located. All except the details of what foodstuffs were where. It has often saved us from forgetting something when we load up to head north in the spring, and also helped us find things we use infrequently.

We have a separate detailed spare parts list.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
After reading and recommending checks lists on another thread I was wondering if anyone here kept an Inventory List.
Yes. My wife came up with the idea of doing this a number of years ago. At first it was a paper list but she's migrated it to our iPads. It's been great at answering those "I know we have this but I don't remember where it is" questions. Her list is searchable, so we can enter something like "bond breaking tape" and it will come back with what box it's in and where that box is stored.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Another twist on inventory list. I don't have a true inventory but I do keep and continue to expand an "equipment list" make/ model/serial# - spare part list / # / interchange #'s if avail from addn'l suppliers and a note if I have it on hand. I added a column for tech service phone # and a real person's name if I've contacted them and and have name to enter.
I also keep a col for date installed / repaired / rebuilt.
Now that we have a larger boat w/ more storage places to hide / lose things I may need to add some more col's and keep track of where it is.
Great ideas - Thanks
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I use the "My Boat" app to keep track of what's aboard, using a description of the item, its location, and two pictures of it. I generally take one pic of the item and another of its serial number and model number. This app also has a trip log, reminders for maintenance, and a record of maintenance and all costs.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Guru

I'm really pretty good at updating as I add or move items. I print it out and now it is up to 10 pages in a folder. As I make changes, I update my notes longhand on the printed pages. When it starts to look sloppy, I update it on my xcel and print a new copy and the process continues.
I just replaced my forward head with an electric toilet and a Purasan waste treatment system. I had to take my boat apart to get all the tools and spare plumbing fittings as well as electrical stuff. The Inventory was invaluable when it came to putting everything back.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I don't suppose any of you really swell guys would be willing to share your spreadsheet with those of the " I can use but can't build type" .
I been looking for a while on the net but have yet to find a ready made inventory list.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I don't suppose any of you really swell guys would be willing to share your spreadsheet with those of the " I can use but can't build type" .
I been looking for a while on the net but have yet to find a ready made inventory list.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
Over the holidays I am going to switch from a journal written inventory to a spread sheet would be glas to share it

the boats original owner ( I am the 4th) hada great detailed inventory list what is interesting I found parts on it still in the places he left them
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Ours is organized by storage location. I started using an Excel spreadsheet, but soon found that the sorting and calculation functions offered by the spreadsheet weren't particularly useful for my purposes. I switched our list to a Word document, done with a Table format. Editing is easier, and it does the job. A copy to anyone who wants it - send me your email address.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #13

City: Stroudsburg, PA
As a potential silver lining observation: Those who have detailed inventories are in excellent shape to pursue a theft claim with an insurer should you experience a burglary. Dating your inventory checks will additionally help to avoid ambiguity about whether an item is merely lost (and might turn up) or was stolen. That it was in such-and-such a place on the boat on a particular date is solid gold.

I'm not wishing bad luck on anyone, I hope, but pre-loss inventory lists help tremendously with proof of loss.

writerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:26 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We use commercially available software but if we didn't would use a spreadsheet. Another possibility too in the moderate priced range is using an inventory system like even the one with Quickbooks (although again some cheaper software out there). We use our system to produce purchase orders when we use items. Also to look at age of parts like impellers. Now something I'm sure most of you will say is overkill but we barcode all parts. Well actually most have a barcode when they arrive, but we do print barcodes for those that don't.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #15
FF
Guru

Segregation works too.

One milk crate has all the electric stuff , wire terminal ends copper bolts , another has all the filters fuel oil and water.

A few have assorted future project parts .

Just as quick to do an inspection as locate and check a list.

The inspection may inspire a solution , a list cant do as well.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #16
Guru

Not everyone has the room to segregate stuff. If I did, I wouldn't need an inventory list. I live aboard and I carry a lot of 'stuff'. Example: my electrical spare parts box does not fit where my electrical tool bag is which is not in the same place as my wire spools and spare cable. My wire ties are in a separate plastic tray with compartments in another location. My small saws-all is not with my circular saw because that space was taken up by a router.
I put stuff where it fits to maximize my storage space. I wish I could segregate and put stuff where I want.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Not everyone has the room to segregate stuff. If I did, I wouldn't need an inventory list. I live aboard and I carry a lot of 'stuff'. Example: my electrical spare parts box does not fit where my electrical tool bag is which is not in the same place as my wire spools and spare cable. My wire ties are in a separate plastic tray with compartments in another location. My small saws-all is not with my circular saw because that space was taken up by a router.
I put stuff where it fits to maximize my storage space. I wish I could segregate and put stuff where I want.
I have found even with room to segregate I still need the list
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote