Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #1

Captain's / Master's license?

Any here have a Capt / Master's license? Tonnage? I've been thinking of getting one, perhaps through Sea School in Charleston SC.
Thoughts?
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
FF
Guru

RE: Captain's / Master's license?

It is mostly useful if you want to deliver other folks boats for money.

I think you can get the 6 pack paper over the phone these days?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products

I am considering the same. I looked on the CG website, you can download all the paperwork. What then, besides filling out the paperwork?
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Back in the day you had to go to the CG and take a written test.

You had to have written documentation of your experience.

And you had to update and prove you were still in the game every few years.

I regret letting mine lapse--boat deliveries interest me.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
Doc
Guru

I just let my 100 ton, 5th issue, expire. I first got it in 1981. Never used it except to get a little break on insurance. I attended a school, passed the test at the CG office and hung it on the wall. It was a good experience.
The reason I let it go was because of the post 9-11 BS that required all sorts requirements of Identifying me as being me...and the extra cost of finding out that I was me.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You are in Boston so check out boatwise.com all the rules for licenseing are there and I think the site is more user friendly than USCG. Boatwise is a marine training company for which I work from time to time, But Boston is not my area, so no gain to me. The owners are based just up the road in NH if you want to talk in person. The information on the site is of course free.
boatdriver47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Quote:
FF wrote:

It is mostly useful if you want to deliver other folks boats for money.

I think you can get the 6 pack paper over the phone these days?
There is a tad more to it. Information can be found here:

USCG licencing

Here is a basic check list:

Check list
Been more involved now than when I started in the early '80s.
Ted

O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Don't forget you have to take a P test so study hard.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Howdy - Thought I'd chime in!

Mariners Learning System

http://www.marinerslearningsystem.co...FQsGbAodBlavDg

Tough course that covers all parameters... from study in it I feel it really has the right stuff... I grew up on the Atlantic coast from NY to Maine, early 1950' thru mid 1970's. One of my first memories is falling off a LI, NY dock at a boatyard before I could hardly even walk! After 25 years on the water, I took 25 + year break form living on and around sal****er. Been back into boating on Pacific Coast / SF Bay area for few years, LOVE IT!! Don't plan to stop boating again, at least not Till Davy Jones Claims Me Bones" - ARUGGG! Kidding aside after 25 years off the water my brain-joints had become a mite corroded LOL... so I decided to get licensed. Well anyway... Ill be happy when I get my license and I recommend Mariners Learning System as a relatively affordable but very good study course. BTW Boarding and again Mastering a boat after 25 years on land is similar to riding a bike (or doing certain verrrry joyful items with your wife) you just never forget the fun and best training lessons youve already learned! Did I say... I LOVE IT! ... Both boating and my wife! Till Davy Jones Claims Me Bones" - ARUGGG!

Due to busy family and business life I've studied but not yet taken the CG test yet... plan to before mid Sept - when I'd need to re up in the course if my test has not been taken by then. I'm enrolled for OUPV Six/Pack and 100 Ton Masters.

Cheers! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #10

I dropped mine some time ago for several reasons: 1. The insurance discount wasn't much. 2. I stopped delivering boats years ago. 3. No longer run charter boats, and don't want to. 4. I didn't want to get a TWIC card. 5. Most importantly, my buddy who is a Maritime attorney told me that although there is a lot of disagreement about this, conceivably a licensed operator could be held to a greater degree of liability if involved in an incident that goes to trial, even in a recreational accident not involving the Coast Guard.

-- Edited by Avista on Friday 11th of March 2011 10:11:30 AM
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Marc:

I think you may have misinterpreted your maritime Attorney's advice. You will not be held to a higher standard with a license than with the same training and experience but lacking the license. The keyword is negligence.
If you get your self involved in a marine accident, it will be partly your fault, however you slice it. (if it happens, someone failed to keep an adequate lookout).
With current certification you will have a better chance to avoid the situation and the potential for a claim than if you let your skills and knowledge slip. So keeping the license is just proof that you think about keeping your skill level up to a measurable standard.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I got a six pac license in the late 80's and it was a fairly tough course at that time,I renewed it twice and then let it go as I wasn't using it.It was a fun thing getting the license!I went to a class at a community college in Fla and we had 40 class members most were guides who needed license due to crack down on them with no license by marine patrol.I think the trouble was 1 had a ticket and was complaining about unlicensed guides getting the trips.Ha This was in Suwannee,Fla.We had to get a physical and they brought in a drug testing lab for that part.License was worth getting due to the learning process we went thru to get it.
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I received my Six Pack license about two years ago. I did Mariner's Learning Service. It's all on line. I read the printed materials sent first, then went online and took the class with videos in some sections and then the practice tests. I went to Princeton, NJ to take the final CG test at Mariner's classroom.*

I did the course on my own time, but I was very organized and disciplined about doing it. The weeklong classes might be better for some people because that forces you to go to the class and get it done.

You need a physical, sea service time documentation, eye exam, drug test and 3 character references, in addition to the tests.

The plotting test is tough. But it is all worth learning. Everything in the course is valuable. I wanted to do it for the experience and I liked the challenge. I am a better seaman for it.

Last season I did a few charters on my Grady, to help pay some dockage bills. I fish all the time. I love to fish. So chartering is fun for me at this point. I don't need or want to do it as a living, but as a side-job. I can pick and choose my clients.

I am now in the process of getting my towing endorsement and my 100 ton Masters. Thankful that these do not require another plotting exam.

It's ridiculous that any licensed Captain, whose finger prints are already on file, then has to pay an additional $130 or so to get a TWIC card. Just another way to get money for nothing.

Oh, yes, another thing - New York State DEC hits you again for a fishing license for the boat and all passengers $400. and $250 for the DEC charter boat license to operate in State waters.

Everybody has their hand out.

-- Edited by Moondance on Friday 11th of March 2011 11:42:04 AM

-- Edited by Moondance on Friday 11th of March 2011 11:44:30 AM

-- Edited by Moondance on Friday 11th of March 2011 11:45:03 AM
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

One perk of having the license is a reduction in insurance cost. I'm glad I got mine because in the process I relearned a lot I had long ago forgot. Maybe this time it will stick!
Belfast Cruiser - 50Ton Master
BelfastCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #15

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

I got a 100 ton license in 1973 before all of the courses and schools were available, the test was difficult then and much more difficult now. The test is multible choice and a lot of it is strictly memory, you can find the 4000 questions on line with the correct answers. For my last two renewels I did not have enough documented sea time with notarized statements from the boat owners and I had to take the open book take home exam. After 36 years of being licensed, over 30 trips between Florida and the Northeast, hundreds of different boats run, hundreds of sea trials, many, many local deliveries, over 75 thousand passenges carried, it was still hard to take the test. The questions covered many things that were not pratical items learned from experience but from learning the books.
I went through STCW training and have a TWIC card but I have a professional reason to keep the license active.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
yachtbrokerguy wrote:

I got a 100 ton license in 1973 before all of the courses and schools were available, the test was difficult then and much more difficult now.
I'm not sure about the Uninspected Passenger Vessel ticket, but Tucker is right, it's a long hard road to a USCG license, and getting harder all the time.* Not to mention expensive, but well worth it.* I'm currently trying to decide if upgrading to 1600 ton is a worthwhile investment at this point in my life.* It would be good to have, but with all the additional classes I'll need, the pay back may be too long........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

My son has a 1600 ton license with towing endorsement that he had to renew a few months back. Even with scads of recent documented commercial sea time he had a very frustrating and time consuming renewal process experience. He had to do it because his livelihood depends upon his license and says he would not have done it otherwise.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:
I'm currently trying to decide if upgrading to 1600 ton is worthwhile at this point in my life.**Jeff, I've met you and you don't weigh anywhere near 1600 ton.* Quite trim as I recall.

When do you leave for Hawaii to pick up the Nordhavn?

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Delfin wrote:
Jeff, I've met you and you don't weigh anywhere near 1600 ton.* Quite trim as I recall.

Gee, I didn't think you needed glasses, but perhaps you should think about a check-up

As for Hawaii, mid May.* Just prior, I'll be bringing the Scorpius to Cap Sante for the Passagemaker show, will you be around?.................Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #20
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:

As for Hawaii, mid May.* Just prior, I'll be bringing the Scorpius to Cap Sante for the Passagemaker show, will you be around?.................Arctic Traveller
You bet.* In fact, any of our friends on TF that are around, please visit D29, our home berth at Cap Sante on the main dock of TrawlerFest.* I will supply the Maker's Mark, if you all supply the b.s. stories about your boating adventures!

You'll be able to pick out Jeff in the crowd.* He's the guy who weighs 1600 tons!!!

See you then---

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote