Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Newbie
 
City: Somerset UK
Country: UK
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Captain a northern marine 57 from PNW to FL via Panama starting September ?

The two owners of a Northern Marine 57 want to get in touch with experienced, qualified captain for this trip. It's a trip the owners may join for sections; but this is for non-career delivery caps that would like to do the trip for expenses, plus nominal fee.
__________________
Advertisement

Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
yachtbrokerguy's Avatar


 
City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 468
I suggest you check with your insurance carrier about entrusting your boat with a "non career delivery captain." I have been a licensed captain for 40 years and insurance companies often require me to submit a resume before I do a delivery even for a short distance. How much is your insurance deductible on the boat? Is it more than the pay of a good experienced paid captain?
__________________

__________________
Tucker Fallon CPYB
www.yachtbrokerguy.com
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,381
If they change their minds and decide to use a pro, Shravan Neill just delivered our Defever 44 from Savannah to the upper Chesapeake. He's very experienced (as in a preferred delivery skipper for KK Yachts), takes good care of the boat, his rates are reasonable and he works hard to keep expenses down. Also, he lives in Stuart, so getting him home would be one less expense. PM me if you want contact information.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Well the trip as described is going to involve more than just a captain for much of the trip it sounds like. So you'll need at least one if not two more people plus a captain. That is a lot of experienced folks to find who want to go basically for free.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
I believe I have read somewhere that there are two required to run lines going through the Panama Canal and a captain to run the boat.So three minimum.

That trip would make for one damn fine trip report.
__________________
BEN'S BOAT BLOG

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
I suggest you check with your insurance carrier about entrusting your boat with a "non career delivery captain." I have been a licensed captain for 40 years and insurance companies often require me to submit a resume before I do a delivery even for a short distance. How much is your insurance deductible on the boat? Is it more than the pay of a good experienced paid captain?
Absolutely correct. Any hired skipper/crew must be endorsed onto the policy to be covered, as well as have their credentials approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Well the trip as described is going to involve more than just a captain for much of the trip it sounds like. So you'll need at least one if not two more people plus a captain. That is a lot of experienced folks to find who want to go basically for free.
Again- absolutely correct. Most insuring markets will want (at a minimum) a named skipper + relief skipper (with requisite experience) for a transit of this type. Crew may either be hired or volunteer.
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Guru
 
ulysses's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 876
Panama Canal itself will require two hands and a "pilot" all may be obtained at the canal transit or just the "pilot". The pilot supplied would be a local for canal only plus whatever crew to get her there and back up the other side.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I believe I have read somewhere that there are two required to run lines going through the Panama Canal and a captain to run the boat.So three minimum.

That trip would make for one damn fine trip report.
No it's 4 qualified line handlers. They can be able bodied members of the crew or you have to "rent" some. You can also rent the required 4 - 125' lines as well.

I ran the canal 4 times. Twice in a 24' foot inflatable. In that case they made an exception and we only had 2 line handlers. But we still had to take along a canal adviser, you need a canal pilot if the vessel is over 60' as I recall, and a port-a-potty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010177.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	32053   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010162.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	32054  
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
No it's 4 qualified line handlers. They can be able bodied members of the crew or you have to "rent" some. You can also rent the required 4 - 125' lines as well.

I ran the canal 4 times. Twice in a 24' foot inflatable. In that case they made an exception and we only had 2 line handlers. But we still had to take along a canal adviser, you need a canal pilot if the vessel is over 60' as I recall, and a port-a-potty.

It's been a while since I looked into doing the canal.
__________________
BEN'S BOAT BLOG

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: Georgia
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 952
I can just imagine a "Johnny on the Spot" sitting in a 24' inflatable. There's bound to be pictures on the internet someplace.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
The Port-a-Potty never left the box it came in.
We had to have it to meet the rule that there had to be a head on board the vessel for the canal adviser to use if need be. You also have to provide food and drinks for the adviser as well.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
The two owners of a Northern Marine 57 want to get in touch with experienced, qualified captain for this trip. It's a trip the owners may join for sections; but this is for non-career delivery caps that would like to do the trip for expenses, plus nominal fee.
As we're getting ready to make this trip over the next 9 months, it's around a 7000 mile trip. Perhaps a little less if they do cross from Cancun directly to Key West as I would imagine they would in that boat, but still over 6000 miles. At 12 knots, which is what I'm guessing they'd do in that boat, you're talking 500 hours. At 8 hours per day, you're talking 63 days of time with no break. And that's not counting equipment issues, time off for maintenance, and time for the canal.

And they want it done for free. Why don't they just ask someone to give them $40,000 so they can ship it by SevenStar? This is a captain and mate plus other help along the way type job. Who is going to do all the maintenance on the boat? Marinas or is the Captain expected? This is a $25,000 to $30,000 job.

Too bad it's almost time for school to start back. He could have gotten some college kids, maybe a fraternity even.

Sorry, but I just am struggling to grasp why he thinks this is a feasible idea.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
This is one of the only businesses I know where you have to compete against retired folks. They go out and get their captains license then offer to do deliveries either really cheap or for expenses alone.

I've often wondered how they would have liked that kind of competition in their field when they were trying to make a living full time.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
THD
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Country: US
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
B (of B&B)-that NM 57 will not go anywhere near 12 knots. Need to add a substantial amount of time to your estimate. He is going to be lucky to average 7.5, maybe 8 at the outside, on that trip. Since he is up here is the PNW, he can get somebody like Peters & May, yacht shipping specialists, to get it shipped from Vancouver to Miami as deck cargo. Rough cost should be around $55-60K and it should get there in 45-60 days.

Then again, maybe this is not the best time to be looking for help in taking a NM boat 7,000 miles on its own bottom!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
B (of B&B)-that NM 57 will not go anywhere near 12 knots. Need to add a substantial amount of time to your estimate. He is going to be lucky to average 7.5, maybe 8 at the outside, on that trip. Since he is up here is the PNW, he can get somebody like Peters & May, yacht shipping specialists, to get it shipped from Vancouver to Miami as deck cargo. Rough cost should be around $55-60K and it should get there in 45-60 days.

Then again, maybe this is not the best time to be looking for help in taking a NM boat 7,000 miles on its own bottom!
Well, there have been some recently not to make it quite that far, but I assume the 57 is better. SevenStar runs the route from Vancouver regularly.

7.5 knots....oh my goodness. Yes, I looked up some and saw you're right. The 330 hp John Deere is 10 top speed, 8 cruise and many have a 300 hp. So double the price I thought. Really the reason to go by water is if you want to make the trip and enjoy it. Financially, it is cheaper and less trouble to ship it.

You're talking $30,000 just for fuel unless it gets much better than I think.

We're bringing a boat around by water but because there are places we want to see. Still we're doing it over an extended period and with breaks. And with a boat that cruises a good bit faster. I think it can be a wonderful trip but to just have someone take it for you can't make sense I don't believe.

Sevenstar sails from Vancouver to West Palm normally every two months but they have trips from Victoria to West Palm in August, October, November, and January.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
THD
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Country: US
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
We plan on making that trip in 4 years, but expect it to take anywhere from 18 months to who the hell knows how long!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #17
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
The two owners of a Northern Marine 57 want to get in touch with experienced, qualified captain for this trip. It's a trip the owners may join for sections; but this is for non-career delivery caps that would like to do the trip for expenses, plus nominal fee.
Just curious, Savara or Raven?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #18
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,174
I'd expect a delivery run like that to be underway 24x7, not stopping after 8hrs. Maybe a stop here and there once a week or so, but other than that I'd expect them to run pretty much straight through.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:00 AM   #19
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'd expect a delivery run like that to be underway 24x7, not stopping after 8hrs. Maybe a stop here and there once a week or so, but other than that I'd expect them to run pretty much straight through.
It would be more broken up than that I would think. The OP said the owners would be on board from time to time, so I'd imagine they will want to stop a see the sights. Plus you've got weather to deal with and the wait at the canal for the boat to be admeasured and scheduled to transit. Then fuel stops. Many boats don't like to be run light on fuel. Etc., etc.

Sure 24/7 a fair amount perhaps but still broken up more than you might think.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #20
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'd expect a delivery run like that to be underway 24x7, not stopping after 8hrs. Maybe a stop here and there once a week or so, but other than that I'd expect them to run pretty much straight through.
Not likely 24 x 7 with only one Captain. So clearly not what he was planning. Now a team of three and 24 x 7 is fine. Plus stops for fueling and maintenance. Then whatever the owners join for. Who knows. Even at an average of 16 hours a day, it's a very long trip at that speed.

Yes, if it was a true delivery run, but it's not planned out that way.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012