Cape Dory 28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauliemv

Vessel Name
ALITA V
Vessel Make
Cape Dory 28
Happy Holidays everyone!
Are there any other Cape Dory 28 owners on this forum? Would love to strike up a friendship with a fellow Dory owner. I’m brand new to this so in need of sage advice. Hope to hear from you soon.

I owned a gasser for several years. Great boat!

David

What kinda speed did you get with a gas engine. I’ve got a Westerbeke 100hp. Not sure what rpm is going to be best for both fuel economy and speed. Hoping it’ll cruise at 8-9 knots.

Here is some data I gleaned from my gasser. It shows that it takes about 40 hp to go 7 kts. It will take the same power to push it that fast with a diesel. That is probably where you want to run your Westy for a compromise between speed, fuel efficiency, engine noise, etc. I would expect that to be about 2,500 rpm on the Westy. So I don't think you will cruise at 9 kts, though you could push it to 8 kts which would require about 65 hp but that is as far as I would go.

1,500 rpm 6.5 kts 25 hp
2,000 rpm 7.2 kts 40 hp
3,000 rpm 11 kts 100 hp

David

You might want to send a PM to Heron. He has a Cape Dory 28 but believe it has a Volvo.

You might want to send a PM to Heron. He has a Cape Dory 28 but believe it has a Volvo.

Yup! shoot me a PM or email. Lots of info in my albums here:

https://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/cape-dory-28-trawler/

heron28@earthlink.net

2v2Jdgih8x3cYB.jpg

Last edited:
Pauliemv...

You've posted numerous inquiries on the CD28 with lots of responses but you've not replied to, or seem to have received any of them. If you aren't getting notifications of responses to your threads, you likely won't get this one. Change your settings to allow that.....

Steve I’ve been getting replies... maybe I’m not sure how to navigate this forum.
Paul
Oh...
Happy New Year!

Hi Fish53. So that boat in the pic and in your avatar is a Cape Dory 38 hull? Never knew they made one. Looks like a Lowell design.

They built five 38's as fishing trawlers, mine was the last one and the only one with a raised sheer. It had a Deutz 1013, 261hp @ 2600rpm and a 4 to 1 twin disc 507 turning a 38 inch four blade wheel. I'm sorry I ever sold it but age, health and the National Marine Fisheries Service made it too expensive as a toy. Great boat though, I put it through some serious weather and she never gave me reason for concern. Happy New Year, Jim

They built five 38's as fishing trawlers, mine was the last one and the only one with a raised sheer. It had a Deutz 1013, 261hp @ 2600rpm and a 4 to 1 twin disc 507 turning a 38 inch four blade wheel. I'm sorry I ever sold it but age, health and the National Marine Fisheries Service made it too expensive as a toy. Great boat though, I put it through some serious weather and she never gave me reason for concern. Happy New Year, Jim

Happy New Year Jim,

Thanks for the info Your boat has a real nice hull. Similar to the CD 28's - a true Downeast hull. I wonder who designed both. They are unlike the CD 36 and 40 cruisers that were twin engine and I think deep v hulls that i believe were designed by Clive Dent or someone like that. I am also familiar with the commercial CD 42 which was based on the Royall Lowell Bruno hull I believe and had a hard chine.

Do you recall the beam and draft of your boat? It has many similarities to my Webbers Cove but looks to be a deeper draft.

Also, did your boat roll a lot?

The 28's are big little ships - for a 28 foot boat they seem to have everything you need to go anywhere. Great boats.

Thanks,
Peter

Happy New Year Jim,

Thanks for the info Your boat has a real nice hull. Similar to the CD 28's - a true Downeast hull. I wonder who designed both. They are unlike the CD 36 and 40 cruisers that were twin engine and I think deep v hulls that i believe were designed by Clive Dent or someone like that. I am also familiar with the commercial CD 42 which was based on the Royall Lowell Bruno hull I believe and had a hard chine.

Do you recall the beam and draft of your boat? It has many similarities to my Webbers Cove but looks to be a deeper draft.

Also, did your boat roll a lot?

The 28's are big little ships - for a 28 foot boat they seem to have everything you need to go anywhere. Great boats.

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter, Happy New Year to you. You're right she's a Lowell design but she's not a downeast hull, she's a full displacement hull, mine drew almost six feet. Her beam was 13' 4" and she weighed 50,000+ lbs. She did roll as would be expected with a round bilge but not too bad, I had pravanes but took them off as I didn't mind the roll and they collected lobster gear quite fast. I have to say she was one hell of a good seaboat, I used to lay in some pretty snotty weather waiting for it to moderate so I could set the gear again and never felt concerned.
My current project is a Webbers Cove USCG motor whaleboat that's being converted into a fishing/pleasure trawler with a 18hp Lister Petter diesel. Obviously I don't mind going slow. Jim

Hi Peter, Happy New Year to you. You're right she's a Lowell design but she's not a downeast hull, she's a full displacement hull, mine drew almost six feet. Her beam was 13' 4" and she weighed 50,000+ lbs. She did roll as would be expected with a round bilge but not too bad, I had pravanes but took them off as I didn't mind the roll and they collected lobster gear quite fast. I have to say she was one hell of a good seaboat, I used to lay in some pretty snotty weather waiting for it to moderate so I could set the gear again and never felt concerned.
My current project is a Webbers Cove USCG motor whaleboat that's being converted into a fishing/pleasure trawler with a 18hp Lister Petter diesel. Obviously I don't mind going slow. Jim

Sounds like the definition of a tank. Good luck with the Webco project. They didn't skimp on the layup from what i have seen. As a former sailor anything 6knts and up is fast.

Webbers Cove USCG motor whaleboat

Hi Jim, Just a follow up on this. I am curious to learn more about your USCG boat. I had a USCG Plastic 30 for a while and got a book on the USCG patrol fleet from 1924-1980 which describes and shows pics of many of their boats, including their status as of the publishing date so was thinking i might be able to find something on yours listed. Most listed in the book are 30-40 feet or so. Thanks.

Last edited:
Anything would be appreciated, Webbers Cove is of course still in business and even they don't know anything about the motor whale boat. It's fairly easy to find the 34' utility boat as many were used as lobster boats up here, in fact a Webbers cove 34 hull was the first production fiberglass lobster boat.

Anything would be appreciated, Webbers Cove is of course still in business and even they don't know anything about the motor whale boat. It's fairly easy to find the 34' utility boat as many were used as lobster boats up here, in fact a Webbers cove 34 hull was the first production fiberglass lobster boat.

Got it, the 34 hull. I will see if anything is in the book. I see lots of the 34's advertised as lobster boats and old cruisers - great hulls.

Nothing in my book on a 34. The book is Harbor Patrol Fleet. Maybe yours was used for something else. I dont mean to hijack this thread so maybe you could start a thread with pictures on this site or DEBF describing your boat and the projects you have going . It would certainly be interesting. I could then share with you some of the features of the 30 footer I had.

Paul,

We just finished our major over winter boat project, fixing crazing and blemishes in our cockpit and decks.
Filled and faired cracks and flaws, then barrier coated, primed it then finished with Awlgrip topcoat. We put polymeric non skid on and it came out great.
Starting on interior wood soon.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_3689.jpg
    IMG_3689.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 44
Looks very nice, I'm going to look into that as I have a deck to do when it warms up. How easy to clean would that be on a fishing boat?

Is the "whaleboat" you speak of anything like a US Navy 26' motor whaleboat? Like this one? Cabin added of course. This was my boat before I got the CHB.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 47
Is the "whaleboat" you speak of anything like a US Navy 26' motor whaleboat? Like this one? Cabin added of course. This was my boat before I got the CHB.

I like that, mines a USCG whaleboat which is slightly different, the bow is higher, it's slightly deeper and it has a skeg. This is the before picture, water got into the ply of the cabin and rotted most of it so I gutted it and am rebuilding with more deck space for fishing.whaleboat 1.jpg

I like that, mines a USCG whaleboat which is slightly different, the bow is higher, it's slightly deeper and it has a skeg. This is the before picture, water got into the ply of the cabin and rotted most of it so I gutted it and am rebuilding with more deck space for fishing.View attachment 84748

Very nice lines. Great for harbor tour! 6 people comfortably?

Yeah I like a lot of sheer, it doesn't look fast but it looks purposeful. Thanks.

How long is it? I have seen the USCG so called surf boats but am not familiar with them having a whaleboat like the Navy did. Does it have numbers carved into the hull like mine does on stbd aft hull? Looks like a free hanging rudder in the pic.

How long is it? I have seen the USCG so called surf boats but am not familiar with them having a whaleboat like the Navy did. Does it have numbers carved into the hull like mine does on stbd aft hull? Looks like a free hanging rudder in the pic.

It's 26', I'm familiar with surfboats but this isn't one of those. It was built at Webbers Cove Boatyard in Maine in 1976, I have almost no information about them, how many they made or even a picture of what they originally looked like although the guys there said they were set up similar to the navy ones. It does have a full skeg it's just hard to see in the picture. I like what you did with yours.

House was already on mine when I got it but I did an interior in the trunk cabin so my boy and I could at least sleep in it, had a sit down enclosed head as well. Wish I still had it sometimes, but one boat at a time is trouble enough. Mine was one of the few built in Canada for the US Navy. Forget the company now but it was the only Canadian company that did and they only built about 50 or so, mine was number 46.

Looks very nice, I'm going to look into that as I have a deck to do when it warms up. How easy to clean would that be on a fishing boat?

I'm assuming you mean recreational fishing and I don't think there would be any issue. Great traction and the awlgrip is rock solid. Hose and go IMO

I'm assuming you mean recreational fishing and I don't think there would be any issue. Great traction and the awlgrip is rock solid. Hose and go IMO

It's actually commercial fishing but other than a few plastic insulated boxes and hopefully a few fish it isn't anymore than a well used sportfishing boat. Thanks.

It's actually commercial fishing but other than a few plastic insulated boxes and hopefully a few fish it isn't anymore than a well used sportfishing boat. Thanks.

Gotcha

The deck boxes will probably wear on the polymeric beads after awhile if they skid around. Without them the awlgrip would likely last longer. I like the traction especially barefooted.

On my work boat the deck is aluminum diamond plate and I've covered key areas with locking rubber mats. Not as pretty but durable.

I checked out the pseudo teak plasdeck systems and did not like the concept of gluing rubber material to my deck. We are trying to keep our Cape Dory as close to factory specs (1987) as possible.
Classic boats rule

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom