Cape Coral waterfront property question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwinner

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
MISS PEACHES
Vessel Make
Mariner 37 Pilothouse Trawler
Hi,

My wife and I are thinking of buying some waterfront property in Cape Coral. I have some questions on where I should buy? I have a 38 foot trawler that draws minimum 3 1/2 feet. I would appreciate anyone who does boating there to maybe give some advice.
Thanking you in advance!!!!:)

Last edited:
The big thing is clear access, no bridges.
Cape Coral is a funny town, they carved in all the canals (some are fresh water) but didn't control the build up process consequently you have all kinds of areas with just empty lots and no real time frame to fill them.
I was looking for a condo there last year and was told by the locals that the city is about to readjust water and tax rates.

Yes, i found out they are going to tax $30,000 for city water and sewer. You have 10 years to pay off through your taxes (with some small amount of interest). This is for single family homes. Thanks for the info.

I winter my boat there at " Harbour at Cape Coral". Very nice boat basin just inside the fresh water lock at the South end of Cape Coral. Thought about buying property on a canal there, but decided I liked the security for the boat of people always being around when I wasn't.

Ted

Thanks, I would do the same if I didn't live there.

Try Punta Gorda Isles. Just north a bit and real nice cruising grounds. Sail boat water is the most valuable. For $350K, you can get a real nice place with a dock and a pool.

Be very careful about Cape Coral. As mbevins said, it is a very funny (non haha) town. Some areas can be a snake pit while others are pretty nice. Ask a lot of questions of the people that actually live in the area you are considering.

Re: Punta Gorda Isles...better hurry.

Thanks Seasalt you said what I was trying to infer.
You really do have to be careful here that you don't end up in the next pit.

Yes, I know how careful you must be. I am a broker salesman in Clermont area that lives on the chain of lakes in Clermont. I do understand real estate but am out of my league on Cape Coral. I love the area but the R.E. people there I do not know.
I really want to get boater's feedback on the area as they are the BEST people to know for info on boating there.
I thank you for ALL your info as I really don't want to lose a lot of money LOL

+

As noted above, Cape Coral is a hodgepodge of waterfront values that still haven't settled out from the city being the real estate poster-child of the downturn..... build quality was all over the spectrum. I'd look very close. We found more predictable deals further north like Port Charlotte but ended up on Longboat Key.

Thank you! I agree except the boating with islands (Sanibel,captiva ) are beautiful.

For someone looking to relocate to FL the simple solution is to come down and RENT for a month or three., near the area of interest.

This will give the time required to understand the different lifestyles ,,from small utopia prisons of gated golfing communities , to the more freedom seeking folks in the center.

For a fish killer coastal instant access is preferred , but for most cruisers , a day (50 miles ,perhaps locks and bridges) inland up a river will lower costs by 1/2 or more .And taxes even more.

ALL of FL sucks in the summer , so keep the cabin in the North woods or an RV or cruiser to escape for the summer.

Although the locals LOVE summer as the snow birds are gone and driving ceases to be a traffic jam.

Last edited:
Hi, I live in Clermont,Florida 26 miles due west of Orlando.

Thanks for the tips.

Cape Coralhas for decades lured boaters to ook with the lowest prices on the west coast. Despite that empty lots abound and always have. I don't know all the reasons but I would be very careful.

Thanks! You are right as we were down there looking at areas (waterfront lots) and there are lots of them. The "no bridges & no locks" start around $200k. a lot of money. I really wanted to find someone who actually boats there to ask (call them) some questions on best areas to boat there. Thanks for the advice as we saw it and there are many, many lots available. They don't have a time frame to build so people are just "sitting" on them. Take care

We just bought a condo in SW Cape Coral. Currently living on our boat in Buffalo, will leave her up north for the winter when we move down in September.

Love to talk to you after your move!!!

We wintered last year on Pine Is.
It's a great area but a little to rural for us. We bought a condo in N.Fort Myers with access to the Caloosahatchee River. A little bit farther to ICW area but away from the issues of CC.

We looked in Pine Island but didn't really care for the rural feel like you. I feel stupid but what is CC mean? We did a lot of lots that we felt were very over priced.
As having 8 parrots a condo is out for us! Thanks and enjoy your new condo.

We did see Pine Island and agree is too rural. What does CC mean? We saw many lots on the North side of the river...VERY expensive with some where it would take you an hour and a half to get to the river(also have to deal with a lock).
Thanks and enjoy your new condo.

"with some where it would take you an hour and a half to get to the river(also have to deal with a lock)."

Depends on your concept of boating , weather this is a blessing or a problem.

"What does CC mean?"

My WAG is Cape Coral.

I was thinking something nautical as Cape Coral was too simple for me...Ha

Hi FF,
Yes, you are right. The only reason this is a problem to us is seeing the same "View" for a total of 3 hours in & out, over and over again. A sure sign of insanity. Who knows, we may have to live with it if we ever get down there.

Thanks but a little too far North for us as we now live 26 miles West of Orlando and keep our boat on the St. John's River in Astor,Fl.

CC (Cape Coral).
We're in a building that is two story. Four up, four down. End unit with vaulted ceilings. We are on a short tributary (1000') off the River. No locks and such but it is a bit to the ICW area.
Your probably looking to live full time. We're here six months and then back to the Great Lakes for the summer. That's why a condo works for us. Maintaining a house for six months of absence doesn't work.

I envy you that you have that kind of freedom. We have 9 parrots that 6 we raised from eggs. We had a great time raising them but really painted ourselves in a corner!
We can't do a condo like you guys as we would be thrown out in a week as the birds (Moluccan Cockatoos) make noise in the morning and at sunset. They are pretty much quiet during the day and totally quiet at night after the sun goes down. We live on a chain of lakes where our "Bird Room" faces the lake and no neighbors for 3/4 of a mile behind us. After looking down there, there is nothing like that unless you have several million dollars to buy on the river. The only place would be up North of the Cape (Old Burnt Store Road) where lots face the mangroves and 200 foot wide canals to get out. They are priced around $200,000 for a 125x80x 125x80. Some already have seawalls. Oh well, maybe someday before I croak!

Back
Top Bottom