Cape Cod to Florida in the ditch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirJohn

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
BAG END
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38 Sundeck
Has anyone done the ditch piecemeal from Cape Cod to Florida in the ditch?
I wanted to try the ditch with our Marine Trader 36 and do it in small trips. I envision leaving the Cape and making it to NJ in on small journey then leaving the boat. Going back and doing a little more. Any information would be appreciated

Welcome SirJohn.
I think you will find that that's exactly what most do.

Prices to leave a boat for a couple of weeks -or months- will vary .

Do research as it can be expensive in the wrong place.

Ran it last year from Newport RI to Cape Canaveral, Fl inside till New Bern SC, then straight shot down, in Hatteras 43 , Long Island sound is really not closed but going through the city is nice , left the boat in NJ for month came back and went outside till Ocean City , the inside New Jersey System is navigable for your size boat but tides are HUGELY important through there and timing is everything, I only did it cause was weathered in at Ocean City and was tired of waiting. I hit it on rising tide and ran it straight to Chincoteague in one day , was actually nice trip then outside again till Norfolk , left boat again in SC , returned and jumped out as stated ran straight down the sections of ICW in GA and SC are a winding boring mess in my opinion and better use of time and fuel to just skip it for me . Been cruising in that fashion for years now and enjoy it only issues are make sure you deal with boat maintenance Before leaving her and also make best friends with the dock masters, cant remember all the desserts and booze i have bought for those guys to make sure they keep eye on my boat. also I bought a wifi camera and hooked it to a hotspot i left on the boat its a pan tilt and night vision , 75 dollars on ebay, I used to set it in middle of saloon and open the center engine hatch, then i could look at the boat, engine area (bilge) and surroundings through windows from my home anytime. was just added comfort for me.

Look through the many various ICW threads here. Many of us (including me) have done it a number of times in a number of ways, but may be a little tired of posting the info for the umpteenth time. Study up some and then you may get some better answers to specific questions.

Transient slips will be far more expensive than seasonal slips. You might go the route of renting transient moorings. Otherwise, depending on the length of time you'll be leaving the boat, you mind find a 'no-frills' working boatyard where hauling and storing might be cheaper for a month-long stay while you're away.

For folks making the trip that prefer the hook to the dock, from the NE free anchorages or cheap mooring balls ($15 or $20 ) can be had to Daytona Beach .

After that anchoring out gets tricky , and becomes an art.

Has anyone done the ditch piecemeal from Cape Cod to Florida in the ditch?
I wanted to try the ditch with our Marine Trader 36 and do it in small trips. I envision leaving the Cape and making it to NJ in on small journey then leaving the boat. Going back and doing a little more. Any information would be appreciated
The previous owner of my 1982 Marine Trader 34 DC made 15 yearly consecutive round trips between New Hampshire and Stuart Florida. Mostly by himself.

The previous owner of my 1982 Marine Trader 34 DC made 15 yearly consecutive round trips between New Hampshire and Stuart Florida. Mostly by himself.

Nice. Can't wait til I'm retired.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom