Cape Cod Canal transit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli27

Hello all. Hope all is well with everyone. Quick question to the cape canal experienced captains.

I'm leaving Sandwich Marina tomorrow and would like to know best time to leave. From sandwich to buzzards bay. Seems calm enough tomorrow. Is there a certain time to leave? The tides are completely different on both sides of the canal.

Just trying to go the "easiest" way. I'm getting the boat hauled this week and kinda don't want to disturb things any more than they already are.

Thanks

You must go with the current. Well thats me! Ether 2am or 2pm tomorrow.

The currents can hit 5 to 6 knots. So its best to with with them rather to fight them.

Last edited:
As Iggy said, it’s best to go with the current. It usually gets up to 4 knots but can go higher. Traveling from Sandwich towards Buzzards Bay, you want an EBBING tide. For tomorrow, 12,2,2023 the first Ebb at Sandwich runs from 12:30am to 6:15am, the second one runs from 12:19pm to 6:39pm. Leaving between 2 & 3 will give you the best favorable current.

Ken

As Iggy said, it’s best to go with the current. It usually gets up to 4 knots but can go higher. Traveling from Sandwich towards Buzzards Bay, you want an EBBING tide. For tomorrow, 12,2,2023 the first Ebb at Sandwich runs from 12:30am to 6:15am, the second one runs from 12:19pm to 6:39pm. Leaving between 2 & 3 will give you the best favorable current.

Ken

What makes me a bit confused is the tide at buzzards bay it's 1-2hrs different. I'm trying to figure out the best time to leave on a following current t which is an EBB tide in my case but I don't want to deal with 2 much current.

First time transiting the canal in a boat new ro me. 79 albin 36 single screw. Not sure how it's gonna handle in heavy current. A couple knots ok but I'm a tad worried when the current can push me half my top speed.

You can’t go by the tides. They are quite different at each end in both time and heights. If you’re concerned about too much current, leave at slack current which is about 12:30pm. It will be increasing as you go along but you will be through it in about 1.5 hours when you pass into more open water into Buzzards Bay. If you do that, the max you should experience will be about 3 knots at the Buzzards Bay end. That said, it’s really not a bad ride.

Plus, the tide won’t be pushing you. Your boat will be going through the water at the same speed it always does, but the land will be going by faster.

Ken

Last edited:
What makes me a bit confused is the tide at buzzards bay it's 1-2hrs different. I'm trying to figure out the best time to leave on a following current t which is an EBB tide in my case but I don't want to deal with 2 much current.

First time transiting the canal in a boat new ro me. 79 albin 36 single screw. Not sure how it's gonna handle in heavy current. A couple knots ok but I'm a tad worried when the current can push me half my top speed.

Run your normal speed through the water and the boat will handle normally. You'll just be going faster or slower over ground. Just remember that if you're going with the current turns will need to be started sooner than normal, but as long as you're not trying to turn sideways to the current it's not a big adjustment.

This afternoon If you are going west / with the current you are going to encounter a good southwest wind at the west end of the canal. Things could get sporty with wind against tide. I’d rather be fighting a current in the morning then getting my butt kicked in the pm. If it does get rough when exiting the west end of the canal / entering Buzzards Bay, stay as far left towards Wings Neck as depth permits. You should find the smoothest water there.

Let us know of your experience.

Last edited:
If you use navionics, just zoom in and click on the current arrow and it will show you the current and direction at different times.

Good luck.
Ron

This afternoon If you are going west / with the current you are going to encounter a good southwest wind at the west end of the canal. Things could get sporty with wind against tide. I’d rather be fighting a current in the morning then getting my butt kicked in the pm. If it does get rough when exiting the west end of the canal / entering Buzzards Bay, stay as far left towards Wings Neck as depth permits. You should find the smoothest water there.

Let us know of your experience.

If it is rough, is that the area where it will be? How far out past the jetty before it starts to calm?

Also you should monitor VHF channel 14 while you’re in the canal. That’s Canal Control. You’ll be able to hear if anything is going on like a big ship going through or if the Railroad Bridge is being used. (It’s left up unless a train is going over it - which is very infrequent)

Ken

DO NOT exit canal in the afternoon when the SWerly smokes up (and it usually does). I have taken solid water back to my dodger on my 40' sailboat. Go in the morning with canal current using Eldridge. There is the old channel that peels off to the east as you exit but it is not an easy find and you will still get hit a bit before you divert. The rough water hangs around for at least the jetty and then some. The Buzzards Bay current is the least of your worries...

DO NOT exit canal in the afternoon when the SWerly smokes up (and it usually does). I have taken solid water back to my dodger on my 40' sailboat. Go in the morning with canal current using Eldridge. There is the old channel that peels off to the east as you exit but it is not an easy find and you will still get hit a bit before you divert. The rough water hangs around for at least the jetty and then some. The Buzzards Bay current is the least of your worries...

I got slammed by this many years ago and it wasn’t pretty. I was submarining through each wave. I was sure if the boat was going to stay in one piece, but it did.

That said, I have been through other times when it was calm and beautiful.

What I don’t know is what the weather patterns are this time of year. In the summer there is typically afternoon wind in the “wrong” direction. So just watch out for incoming wind on outgoing tide.

Funny CCC story: My father boat a sailboat in Rhode Island and my brother and I were sailing it back home ( north of Boston ). We woke up to pea soup fog. My dad assured us it would blow over once the sun got a little higher. We put my brother on the very bow because he would have slightly more visibility because he was about 20 feet in front of us. We finally get to the canal and exhale, because that is straight deep water. "Just watch the depth sounder and you can stay in the middle", my dad says. We are putting along practically blind when we hear an air horn that is loud and close. Like piss your pants kind of loud and close. We couldn't even tell what direction the horn came from because the air was so thick and heavy with moisture. We look at the wake, turn 90 degrees and head for shallow water......just as a train goes by on the near bank of the canal and blows its horn again. Like most funny stories, its only funny because we were lucky and didn't get hurt.

This afternoon If you are going west / with the current you are going to encounter a good southwest wind at the west end of the canal. Things could get sporty with wind against tide. I’d rather be fighting a current in the morning then getting my butt kicked in the pm.

Sporty? I felt like I was inside of a washing machine. Yes, avoid a SW wind.

The forecast is 10-18. If that’s true, it may be lumpy but nothing horrific.

Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh yup! Exactly what you said about not leaving in the afternoon(and I did, 1pm). That was the wildest ride I've been in. Not sure what the waves were, don't know how to give an answer in feet. But if I had to guess I hit a couple of 8-10fters and they looked about 5-7 average. Not what I wanted.

I've been fighting a shaft seal leak and looking to get back home (warwick RI). My bilge while running turns on every 20 minutes when boat is running.

Quick story,,, It was very nerve-wracking going theough the end of the canal because of my situation with the shaft seal.(don't worry, I have 2 extra 110 pumps to pump out if catastrophe happens)

After I passed the jetty about a half mile or so it started to calm down some. So I'm at the helm yelling at myself what I got myself into and I was in a bad mood. So I'm steering through 4-5-6 fters and going along and I hear the coast guard cutter(I forgot the name)calling and saying they will be traveling with a "red over red" because there port shaft seal is leaking and have to shut the engine down.

Immediately when I heard that I started laughing and my mood got so much better. See, I'm not the only one with issues out here,,,

Glad it worked out.

Actually had a friend who was a TowBoat operator drown at the entrance trying to rescue a stranded boat.

Wave height is one thing, but these waves seem to break square. Hence minimal recovery between punches. We were pushed down to 1-2 knots at times (from 6+) when learning my lesson.

The part two for the DO NOT is a should not. I failed to mention that when we left Marion (just SW of canal entrance) to leave the bay we always left before noon to go to the islands. If going to Newport etc, we left by 8am to avoid the inevitable SWer. Otherwise you had a vigorous tacking exercise or pounding directly into short 4 foot ++ waves that may or not be fun anymore. So given the Buzzards Bay Afternoon Washing Machine it got tedious for us after many decades...hence the leaving early rule. Was fun coming back home though...many a 9+ knot ride back from BI surfing up the bay.

Glad you made it through OK!

Thanks! It was a crazy ride to say the least. Those waves were crazy to say the least. Haven't run this boat much so wasn't too sure how she would handle. Knowing what I know now,, I wouldn't knowingly make that run again but I also feel 100% fine going through it if it happened.

If I had anyone aboard I would just tell them hold on and enjoy the ride.

The best part was coming into new bedford. To me the boat started to act a bit different. Especially passing through the hurricane barrier and into the harbor. The steering was sooo much easier. It actually steered fairly straight.

I was battling the whole time correcting alot more than I thought I should have been. After i docked and had a minute to relax I thought about it and figured (I hope I did) out why it went so smoothly,,, haven't driven this boat in calm waters.

It's always run in 2-3-4-5 knots of current and 3+ ft waves.

I'm leaving Sandwich Marina tomorrow and would like to know best time to leave. From sandwich to buzzards bay. Seems calm enough tomorrow. Is there a certain time to leave? The tides are completely different on both sides of the canal.

Main issue to consider is wind vs tidal current at the Buzzards Bay end of the canal. One of the worse rides we ever had in our DeFever 41 (almost 20 tons) was heading into Buzzards Bay from the canal. Check the current at BB side and also the wind direction. Anything above about 10 knots from the west and an opposing current and you'll wish you waited for better conditions!!!

Once you get caught in those standing waves there's no turning back; you just have to ride it out slowly, work your way to the southern side, and turn out as soon as you get to water that is deep enough for your draft.

Main issue to consider is wind vs tidal current at the Buzzards Bay end of the canal. One of the worse rides we ever had in our DeFever 41 (almost 20 tons) was heading into Buzzards Bay from the canal. Check the current at BB side and also the wind direction. Anything above about 10 knots from the west and an opposing current and you'll wish you waited for better conditions!!!

Once you get caught in those standing waves there's no turning back; you just have to ride it out slowly, work your way to the southern side, and turn out as soon as you get to water that is deep enough for your draft.

Yup!!! I knew when I was out there when the waves got as high as they did(I know they were around 10fters) I had no chance of returning. Honestly the worst day in my life in a boat.

I've seen some big waves but those waves were very different! I never seen waves up close like that and can't see what's behind it,,,, like a hole.

Knowing what I know now,, never again! The only upside is I was able to test the boat out in rough weather. So from here on I'll never have to wonder. She will be fine

B Bay- C Cod Canal

Like Jimmy Buff said-"Don't Want to land in no Buzz Bay" !! He must have caught the tide flow against the SW wind at one or two times = nasty!! As was said in an earlier reply- pick your poison= favorable Canal current, or moderate sea. One time on a 33' boat, I had green water uo to the deck house. The crying Admiral said- 'Turn around' ! The response was, cannot, we'll tip over ! Went to stbd in the Hog Isle channel much as I could, then up into the shallows. Buffet was right! Handle the bay & the current together.

Was taking a Tayana 37 from Plymouth to Onset. Was passed in the canal by a sportfish on full plane. Gentleman with me wanted to bet if his engines would break free and go through the transom or just go through the bottom of the boat when he hit the square waves at the exit just pass the army corp station and mass maritime. Neither occurred. He went airborne snapping the transmissions, couplings or shafts when he landed. We could hear engine noise but he was no longer going forward. He put out a mayday. The corp responded “you will run ground. Once you do walk up the rocks and get your citation “. Later heard he was cited for unseamanlike behavior, speeding, reckless behavior. Boat was probably $1-3 m as it was a 60’er. Apparently insurance wouldn’t cover the total loss that occurred.
Even on a sailboat when the wind is blowing up Buzzards Bay with the square waves slow down and hit them perpendicular. Surf down at a slight angle. A true wind against water situation.
Tide in BB rises and falls slightly out of synchrony with Mass Bay. It’s this that produces the strong current. Mass bay is a large body of water c/w BB. Mass bay is deep c/w BB. So the current is strong at times.

Last edited:
Was taking a Tayana 37 from Plymouth to Onset. Was passed in the canal by a sportfish on full plane. Gentleman with me wanted to bet if his engines would break free and go through the transom or just go through the bottom of the boat when he hit the square waves at the exit just pass the army corp station and mass maritime. Neither occurred. He went airborne snapping the transmissions, couplings or shafts when he landed. We could hear engine noise but he was no longer going forward. He put out a mayday. The corp responded “you will run ground. Once you do walk up the rocks and get your citation “. Later heard he was cited for unseamanlike behavior, speeding, reckless behavior. Boat was probably $1-3 m as it was a 60’er. Apparently insurance wouldn’t cover the total loss that occurred.
Even on a sailboat when the wind is blowing up Buzzards Bay with the square waves slow down and hit them perpendicular. Surf down at a slight angle. A true wind against water situation.
Tide in BB rises and falls slightly out of synchrony with Mass Bay. It’s this that produces the strong current. Mass bay is a large body of water c/w BB. Mass bay is deep c/w BB. So the current is strong at times.

Ya know, always diddling around rhode island, narragansett bay and providence river with the rear occasion of heading out block island I've realized my seamanship skills are sorely lacking(I believe).

That said, I was happy with my ability to maneuver through the waves for over 2 hrs like a champ.I had some blue water over the bow a couple times going through the end of the canal but I made it through. Yeah I did poop my pants a couple times but I never lost control of myself. I was always in control.

I've come to understand and respect the weather report a great deal. I understand now what a southwest wind means here in buzzards bay and how treacherous things can get. Seeing that flag blow certain way. Things I've taken for granted are now in the forefront.

As crazy as this sounds,, I'm extremely mad at myself for not seeing what I saw literally right in front of me because I put myself and possibly others at risk of my stupid AND inexperienced decision to depart when I did. But I am happy that I got to see what I saw and in the end nobody got hurt.

I've always been saftey minded but sometimes it's our own actions that gets us in trouble. I do have a couple of issues that are rather serious for the boat that I have systems in place ready to go just in case the $hit hits the fan.

I knew no matter the problem I would have out there I would be able to deal with it. I knew the only thing I had to watch out for was the weather. And the one thing that I didn't know enough about was the weather.

All I had to do is call canal control or towboatus and they would of given me am actual hands on report of the weather there,,,, and I didn't do it. For politically correct and educated nice people here,, this makes me irresponsible! For the everyday folk,,, that makes me stupid!

I prefer the latter. Remember, and this goes to those who are here lurking and wondering if they want to get into boating, remember, it's not just your life out there if your going solo like me. If something happens to you out there you have to remember, the people coming to help or save you are putting there lives on the line for YOUR decisions.

So don't be like me, Mr. STUPID! If you're not 100% confident on making a trip, either ask for help or wait it out. And if you are smart enough to wait it out,,, while you wait, ask for advice from others around.

Nothing wrong with listening to others. Just understand that there will be those that are full of $hit. And those you have to try your best to weed out.

Eli,

You were given a valuable lesson here. You didn't use the assets available to you, but you and the boat survived anyway. That is GOOD.

Next time, use the local knowledge, condition reporting available, and hopefully what you learned, and Don't put yourself in that situation again! That would be BETTER!

eli,

you were given a valuable lesson here. You didn't use the assets available to you, but you and the boat survived anyway. That is good.

Next time, use the local knowledge, condition reporting available, and hopefully what you learned, and don't put yourself in that situation again! that would be better!

100%!

Eli could fill several books with dumb stuff I’ve done. Experience is the best teacher. So as we boat more we make not get smarter but we hopefully get wiser.
Beyond Slows good advice we learned something else. As long as you don’t panic and do the right thing (or something close) most boats are tough. Believe it’s operator error not the boat that’s the more common reason for catastrophes.

Eli could fill several books with dumb stuff I’ve done. Experience is the best teacher. So as we boat more we make not get smarter but we hopefully get wiser.
Beyond Slows good advice we learned something else. As long as you don’t panic and do the right thing (or something close) most boats are tough. Believe it’s operator error not the boat that’s the more common reason for catastrophes.

Over a week has gone by and I still have mixed feelings. One minute I'm happy I handled the boat as I did. The next I'm mad because I didn't do the right thing.

Although I will never knowingly try that again, I admit,,,,, it was fun. I found out my "buoys" app gives me wave height when I traveled. A was a couple miles away from one that reports wave height, temp, wind direction. It also records that info. I was 7.4 seas and I know at the canal they were bigger.

Yeah, I guess there is a bit of me that is feeling good about myself. But like I said before, in the end,,, it was a stupid move which will never knowingly be sine again.

Over a week has gone by and I still have mixed feelings. One minute I'm happy I handled the boat as I did. The next I'm mad because I didn't do the right thing.

Although I will never knowingly try that again, I admit,,,,, it was fun. I found out my "buoys" app gives me wave height when I traveled. A was a couple miles away from one that reports wave height, temp, wind direction. It also records that info. I was 7.4 seas and I know at the canal they were bigger.

Yeah, I guess there is a bit of me that is feeling good about myself. But like I said before, in the end,,, it was a stupid move which will never knowingly be sine again.

Eli...back in the day before forums and Apps we (my wife and three little ones all under 10) were bringing our Bristol 30 from Salem to Marion. I learned my lesson with the family on-board a new-to-us boat with an old, but running, Volvo diesel. I would rather learn the Canal Lesson lesson your way than my way. We all make stupid moves. But most of us are smart enough to extract ourselves thereafter. Onward and upward!

Back
Top Bottom