Canvas Sealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlombardo

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1998 Mainship 31 Sedan Bridge
Does anyone have a strong opinion on what sealer to use on a canvas enclosure. I currently use Scotch Guard but have been told that there are better options. I am starting to notice several small pinholes around stress points, where light shines through, so want to get the best seal on it.

Appreciate any thoughts you may have.

John

303 fabric guard.

Second 303 Fabric guard. I have used it for now about 15 yrs on my back deck cover.

Wow, now that is service. Thanks so much. 303 seems to be the people's choice.

303 Fabric Guard... not to be confused with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Very different products and purposes.
Best applied to clean dry fabric suspended (not laying on a picnic table) and in full hot sun. Also let the liquid sit in dun for a bit if stored in basement or cool garage. 2 light coats applied at 90° also better than one heavy coat.

Hmmm, do you think 2 light coats in 60 degrees would be ok with proper drying time allowed in-between? It is March and slowly coming out of winter in NJ. We like to put our boat in on April 15th, so doesn't give me much opportunity to get it done in 90 degree weather. I would like to get it done before it is hung on the boat.

Thanks,
John

I used to do mine in April but found repellancy wasnt what I expected. I waited till hot days in June and results were significantly better.
The temp apparently has V a lot to do with setting the. water repellancy.

Last edited:
Hands down, 303 Fabric Guard.

Note there are MANY 303 products, make sure to get Fabric Guard.

Ken

Hmmm, do you think 2 light coats in 60 degrees would be ok with proper drying time allowed in-between? It is March and slowly coming out of winter in NJ. We like to put our boat in on April 15th, so doesn't give me much opportunity to get it done in 90 degree weather. I would like to get it done before it is hung on the boat.

Thanks,
John

It doesn’t need to be hot. I stretch a long rope between a couple of trees and give the canvas a good washing and do one good coat every spring and have great water repellency all season long. The canvas must be very dry before applying.

I’ve applied it in my basement before but it’s pretty smelly.

Ken

303 will work even when applied in less than ideal conditions... just not as well.
The advice above came from a discussion with one of the 303 cust service reps...
I did it for years in cooler NE spring conditions and was getting OK results but didn't match what others were reporting.
The first year I changed my ways marine neighbors asked what I used as the beading was notably very much improved.
I know others roll it on while draped over picnic tables or spray it to saturation... do as YOU wish. I was only relaying what I learned the hard way after years of doing it what 303 considered "less than ideal"

As everyone says 303 fabric guard is the way to go. I buy it buy the gallon and use spray bottles or a garden sprayer. I also use their clear vinyl spray on the eisenglass and the aerospace protectant on all other plastics/rubber. One caution about the fabric guard. If you have canvas that you roll up containing windows, the fabric guard can damage the vinyl windows. Make sure it's completely dry (like for a day or 2) before rolling up canvas that will be in contact with the windows.

I too use a 1 gallon garden pressure sprayer.
Unless you are only doing a very small area you hands will tire with the more typical
kitchen sprayer.

I don't think Bacchus was referring to temperature when he said 90 degrees. I think he meant applying two coats in two directions, like North/South and then East/West.

I don't think Bacchus was referring to temperature when he said 90 degrees. I think he meant applying two coats in two directions, like North/South and then East/West.
Correct, I was referring to x-crossing subsequent coats, however, 90°F much better than 60° F as well. .. 80° better than 60°

Or just go to Stamoid which is waterproof to begin with. Also not a woven fabric so it stays cleaner since there isn’t a weave to catch the dirt.

I do appreciate everyone's advice and that is why I posted here. Many years of experience in one place. Can't be beat!

I did purchase the 1-Gal container with a pump spray bottle. Based on recommendations, I will probably do two light coats suspended in my garage now and then another two in June once the temperature is in the 80-degree range.

Thank you all! John

Or just go to Stamoid which is waterproof to begin with. Also not a woven fabric so it stays cleaner since there isn’t a weave to catch the dirt.

It’s funny how Stamoid isn’t really seen in the PNW. My brother had it on his hatteras 52 and it was an interesting material. Being completely waterproof, I suspect it might be more prone to mildew in a full enclosure situation.

According to this, it is woven, but vinyl-coated. Also, not breathable.

Stamoid is a vinyl coated woven polyester that can be used anywhere from console covers, spray hoods, convertible tops, mooring covers, dodgers, biminis, awnings, and protective covers. Completely waterproof, easily cleanable, cool to sit under, and folds and stores well. The high tenacity weave holds its shape and does not show humidity sagging problems common to lower marine grade fabrics.

Breathe Ability (1): Because the material is vinyl coated, it is waterproof and will not breathe. Appropriate ventilation must be provided if using this fabric for full enclosures.

It’s funny how Stamoid isn’t really seen in the PNW. My brother had it on his hatteras 52 and it was an interesting material. Being completely waterproof, I suspect it might be more prone to mildew in a full enclosure situation.

I had a Stamoid top. All but bullet proof. Only mildew was salt water and it washed off easily. Enclosed on 3 sides. Was in New England FWIW. It’s going on it’s 20th year on the boat. New owner / friend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom