Canvas layup detail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I am in the final stages of planning my cockpit canvas job. This is my first major canvas project on the boat and of course I want to get it right.

Here is a drawing of how I am intending to lay up the panels and the top rail, using the KEEDER rope and rail system.

I have added a "rain flap" to the design in hopes of directing the monsoon like rain we get away from the top zipper as the rail is positioned right next to the drip edge of the cockpit roof.

What do you think of this ???

Attachments

• IMG_1205.PNG
    IMG_1205.PNG
    35 KB · Views: 65
The facing that you have hanging down on the outside as a rain flap will probably have a problem if it is not sewn along the bottom edge. Facing is folded over during manufacturing but if you don't sew it it will not stay folded. I would just use 1 piece of facing on the eisenglass panel instead of one on each side and a piece of binding on the end. It will be a lot less work and you will get less trim showing around the edge. Just fold the facing around the edge and sew it one time then add the zipper and sew it a second time.

The facing that you have hanging down on the outside as a rain flap will probably have a problem if it is not sewn along the bottom edge. Facing is folded over during manufacturing but if you don't sew it it will not stay folded. I would just use 1 piece of facing on the eisenglass panel instead of one on each side and a piece of binding on the end. It will be a lot less work and you will get less trim showing around the edge. Just fold the facing around the edge and sew it one time then add the zipper and sew it a second time.

Thanks!

I was going to pre-sew the facing used as a flap to make a real hem.

But what is really interesting...

You would just use one piece of 2" facing folded over the glass and sewn???
That would make for a 1" canvas "frame" around the window???

Hmmm, thats an interesting idea. It would be easier, and use less material, and work just as well. It would also make the "rain flap" come down to about the edge of the visible glass.

Kevin
I like the suggestion of a narrower facing border.
I've seen some panels w/ larger clear and narrow trim and it gives the whole enclosure a different and - in my mind - a nicer look.
I tried to zoom in on the Bayliner 47xx enclosure that I posted and it looks like the vertical borders and around 1"
You may want to go w/ the 2" facing at the fwd leading edge where it snaps to the gusset. And you may need the 2" or wider? (and stop the vinyl higher) at the bottom to lay flat at/below the rail. I couldn't tell what they did - a little experimenting at the rail might be helpful.
What ever you do at the bottom it will probably be best to add the bottom before finishing the vertical.

I only use 1 piece of facing and wrap it around the edge of the eisenglass which gives a 1" border around the window. It impedes your view less than 2" and I think it looks better. Also much less work.

OK, Thanks Guys!

I just ordered the 2" swing away binding attachment from sailrite.

Yes, I could do it manually with seamstick, but the binding attachment will make it a breeze.

This is getting allot easier discussing it with you guys.

Now it's pretty much as simple as patterning out the windows to the right size and sewing the binding on.

Yes there's of course more to it than that, but the finished product is really just .030 OC glass with 2" binding and zippers sewn around the edges.

I have to ask... Do you think the rain flap is a good idea in a rainy enviroment?

In reality the zipper could be sewn directly to the keeder without the flap. I just think the flap will make for a more finished top edge.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I have to ask... Do you think the rain flap is a good idea in a rainy enviroment?

In reality the zipper could be sewn directly to the keeder without the flap. I just think the flap will make for a more finished top edge.

What do you think?

Agree - I think you are on the right track.
attached a pic of a drop curtain I made for a good friend that included a rain flap.
It finishes off the Zip nice

Attachments

• Tiara Drop1.jpg
    Tiara Drop1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 160
I don't use an attachment when sewing on facing. I used to use seam stick, but now I fold the facing first and rub a pair of scissors up and down on the fold a couple of times to get the facing to take the fold. Then I just put it over the edge of the eisenglass and sew it on. It goes faster and you don't gum up the needle from the seam stick. I find it easier than using the guide attachment. I do use a magnetic uide on the sewing machine to help keep the stitching straight.

Thanks guys!

Here is my revised layup drawing.

This seems that it should work great for any edge that is straight enough to use pre-cut facing on, which are almost all edges for this project.

The plan is for the sides, where we are joining panel to panel that I bury the zipper a bit so that the panels are pretty much touching.

I'm not sure about the bottoms right now. Some jobs show the canvas covering the rub rail, some show it above the rub rail. My boat has several inches between the edge of the gunnel and the rub rail so I'm thinking that I might stop the canvas just below the lip of the gunnel so that the edge of the window lines up with the edge of the gunnel and the canvas is all above the rub rail. The bottom edge might do better with 2 or more inches of canvas, but we'll have to see...

If any folks that have done canvas work have any comment, good or bad about this, please let me know as I'll be sewing in just a couple of days.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_1207.PNG
    IMG_1207.PNG
    28.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom