Old 12-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Guru

City: Pensacola
Canvas and glass

I'm in need of replacing the Bimini and eisenglass
on my sundeck and fly bridge. I'm going with new canvas and glass on the bridge but what say you about canvas and screen on the sundeck? Looking for critter and rain prevention. Thoughts?

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
I'm afraid screen only on the sundeck may not be enough rain protection. You'd get at least a little protection as the rain hits it and "should" flow down the screening material. But surely heavy rains would still make it through. The only "sure" thing is to use glass there too.

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Pensacola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
I'm afraid screen only on the sundeck may not be enough rain protection. You'd get at least a little protection as the rain hits it and "should" flow down the screening material. But surely heavy rains would still make it through. The only "sure" thing is to use glass there too.
Good points.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Before you commit to anything in the way of fabric, take a look at a product called Stamoid. It's more UV resitant than Sunbrella, it's easier to clean, doesn't fade and lasts forever.

I've had Sunbrella on two boats prior to this one and Stamoid on this one. I'll never go back.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Regardless of the fabric you use, make sure the fabricator uses Tenara (Gor-tex) thread. Last January we replaced a bimini that needed to be re-stitched after less than 5 years. The original was made with polyester thread. Tenara has a lifetime warranty.

Some fabricators do not like working with it because it is "slippery" and is not as easy to work with. They'll also say how expensive it is. An 8 oz (> 950 yards) spool retails for $129 at Sailrite. Not very much when you consider the size of the project.

Here's the link for Sailrite's page on Tenara thread. They have a video and some good documentation on it.

Tenara Lifetime Thread - UV Stable Rot Resistant Outdoor Thread - Tenara
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Before you commit to anything in the way of fabric, take a look at a product called Stamoid. It's more UV resitant than Sunbrella, it's easier to clean, doesn't fade and lasts forever.

I've had Sunbrella on two boats prior to this one and Stamoid on this one. I'll never go back.

The enclosure material that came with our boat was white Stamoid. OK, I guess. Discolors a bit if removed and stored in some conditions. We changed to black Sunbrella, and to me, it "feels" better. Different strokes.

Agree, the thread is more likely the first weak point. When we bagged our original Stamoid panels (approx. 10 years old, at the time), they could probably have been rebuilt since it was mostly the seams and some of the see-thrus that had gone south.

FWIW, if some see-thru panels will never be rolled (removed or pinned open instead of rolled, whatever) the EZ2CY stuff and equivalents (ours is Makralon) provide much better visibility than sheet vinyl products like Stratoglass and equivalents.

Also FWIW, we have a hardtop, and I'd never want to go back to just a bimini.

-Chris