Old 07-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #61
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Mark, you need a new pic of your head. Maybe tomorrow I can help.
Why what wrong with his head? Looks pretty good to me?...........
Sorry just couldn't resist.
Attached Images

rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #62
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What??!! No coffee maker, no microwave oven, no water-maker, no genset, no second/third refrigerator, no washer/dryer, no trash compacter, no AIS, no television, no ice-maker, no double sinks, no fishing gear, no bath tub, no hot tub, no dinghy crane, no 20-millimeter cannon, ... Yet, I don't feel deprived.

All the reasons I purchased a trawler and not a GAY boat
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #63
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
What's a gay boat?
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:27 AM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
What's a gay boat?
One that has microwave oven, water-maker, genset, second/third refrigerator, washer/dryer, trash compacter, AIS, television, ice-maker, double sinks, fishing gear, bath tub, hot tub, dinghy crane, 20-millimeter cannon,
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:42 AM   #65
FF
Guru

"20-millimeter cannon,"

We regularly use the 12Ga saluting cannon (shoots blanks) to wake up bridge tenders if ditch traveling off season.

Lots faster than radioing the USCG to phone the bridge to see if its still manned.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #66
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
According to my droid's Navionics, we'll be at +3.5 around noon tomorrow.

Mark, you need a new pic of your head. Maybe tomorrow I can help.
I agree! The hand pump isn't visible!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #67
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Hey bud, wake up!! It's the 21st century.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #68
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
note to self, get 20mm cannon
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #69
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
One that has microwave oven, water-maker, genset, second/third refrigerator, washer/dryer, trash compacter, AIS, television, ice-maker, double sinks, fishing gear, bath tub, hot tub, dinghy crane, 20-millimeter cannon,
I would only need to add a few items to be a gay boat
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #70
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
I would only need to add a few items to be a gay boat

Two of which would have to be a couple of dudes who happen to like each other an awful lot. Maybe some tasteful window treatments.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Well, I may have a 'gay' boat but I am man enough to list it in my avatar.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #72

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Your comments have no place in today's world. Please go back under the rock from which you came.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #73
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grae View Post
Maybe we should call it Australasian (or ANZAC) coffee culture!
Wifey B: Ok, strictly curiosity. What is the Australasian coffee culture? Do most people drink coffee daily? Is it age related? Has it swung from basic to specialty?

I ask because we don't drink coffee. Seems all our over 50 friends drink it daily but really very basic coffee. Most of our younger friends don't drink it daily, but occasionally go for a Starbucks type coffee when out and about. Now they don't do that too often in this climate. I have a lot of friends who start their day with soft drinks. Actually we once did but then swore off all soft drinks a few years ago. I mean I could ask what the US culture is too as I have no earthly idea outside of our close friends. I see coffee places on every corner so someone must be drinking it.

And as to what we'd have to have, I'm just going with the non boat related, the not absolutely necessary for movement. Phones and tablets win hands down. We get kidded that we're never without both. Of course that's by people who then ask us to look up something. But communication, being in touch, having access to info.

The only must have drink is bottled water. At least 10-12 bottles a day for the two of us.

Sun tan lotion. Absolutely positively must. Not just for us, but any guests. No sunburn allowed on our boat or by our pool at home. I'm serious. We're a bit obsessive on that one. See naked body, rub lotion on. Oops. You get the point. But as hosts we consider it a failure on our part if a guest gets sunburned, just like any other injury. We had someone recently on our boat who hadn't been before. They were with a friend. So she turned to her friend and asked if she brought suntan lotion. She laughed and said "no, but they have tons of it behind every door, in every room, in every cabinet. I bet you're within five feet of some now." She was...I pointed to the cabinet three feet from her.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #74
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Perhaps this Power Point presentation explain it to you.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #75
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Sun tan lotion. Absolutely positively must. Not just for us, but any guests. No sunburn allowed on our boat or by our pool at home. I'm serious. We're a bit obsessive on that one. See naked body, rub lotion on. Oops. You get the point. But as hosts we consider it a failure on our part if a guest gets sunburned, just like any other injury. We had someone recently on our boat who hadn't been before. They were with a friend. So she turned to her friend and asked if she brought suntan lotion. She laughed and said "no, but they have tons of it behind every door, in every room, in every cabinet. I bet you're within five feet of some now." She was...I pointed to the cabinet three feet from her.
Brilliant!
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #76
Guru

Wifey B: Guess Black Ivory Coffee is huge down under.... Maybe that's why their web site says they are sold out.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #77
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Wifey B: Ok, strictly curiosity. What is the Australasian coffee culture? Do most people drink coffee daily? ....
Good question. Many drink coffee daily.My first thought is it stems from a large Italian migration post WW2. Pre war people drank tea, many still do, that`s English heritage. Italians love their coffee, Australia adopted it. Beppi started his famous eponymous Sydney restaurant; the Cantarella Bros. started the Vittoria coffee empire, and so on. The first espresso machines arrived with the Italians, large manually operated machines. Sydney, other State capital cities, the suburbs, country towns, are littered with coffee shops. It`s a social thing. And a work thing, many people get a take away coffee on the way to their office.
Australians are great travelers, there is a lot of coffee taken in Europe. Years ago Alitalia served us espresso on a flight(Business) to Rome on a 747. And big cruisers too, cruise ships operating in Australia cater for espresso coffee.
Don`t assume we drink coffee to the exclusion of water. I think people know coffee is negative in terms of hydration due to the diuretic effect, like many caffeinated soft drinks. I also think there is an habituation/mild addiction with espresso coffee, the process extracts caffeine, amongst other things like deepened flavor. Coffee is often served with a glass of water.
Coffee and boating? Popular anchorages are visited early mornings by "coffee boats" selling newspapers, pastries, eg croissants, and coffee from an espresso machine.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Hey bud, wake up!! It's the 21st century.
Fair comment, Shrew.TF has nearly 11000 members. Some are sure to identify as gay. Let`s not cause offence.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Coffee and boating? Popular anchorages are visited early mornings by "coffee boats" selling newspapers, pastries, eg croissants, and coffee from an espresso machine.
Wifey B: Wow....I'd pass on the coffee although some of the others with us would jump on it, but pastries and croissants, yes yes yes. Newspapers? Are those the old timey paper things from before they were on the internet?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B:..... Newspapers? Are those the old timey paper things from before they were on the internet?
A real newspaper accepts croissant crumbs and hot coffee drips. Try that with a tablet.
Some popular anchorages, not that remote, are in steep sided topography preventing phone and internet signal getting in. Sometimes it`s paper or nothing. (Or baby wipes.)