Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Canada, cannabis & Int'l borders

As of today, October 17, 2018, cannabis (marijuana) is legal in Canada in the amount of 30 grams and under.

Canada is the second country, after Uruguay, to make the possession of cannabis legal nation wide.

I don't plan to partake myself (worried the building anticipation could trigger remnant limbic system receptors from when I stopped drinking eight years ago) but it could cause concern both for Canadian's crossing borders into other countries, or International boaters returning home from Canada.

Here's a little information to get your research started:
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...gulations.html

Crossing borders:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tas...t-17-1.4865696
Old 10-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Guru

I should add that US border officials used wiggle words like ‘could’ and ‘may’ as opposed to ‘will’ and ‘shall’ when making recent statements regarding cannabis and people crossing into the US from Canada.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Third country, Dutch did it 60 years ago

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Third country, Dutch did it 60 years ago

L
Apparently it is "tolerated" in cafes but not legal nationwide.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
The amount of money the Canadian and Provincial governments will make on this is staggering. As with most government controlled businesses, follow the money.

In BC, the news is centered on Pot, and keeping the media focused on it minimizes discussions of government lapses, NAFTA, pipelines etc. Saw some comments from the medical community yesterday and they were saying how they couldn’t speak out on the downsides as freely as they’d like because of their employer - the BC government.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Maybe legal in B.C., but illegal in U.S. federal waters under Coast Guard control. You run the risk of a fine, confiscation of your vessel and jail time.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Murray, when coming into Washington State from BC, bear in mind that marijuana is still illegal as far as the US government is concerned, even though several states including Washington have made possession of small amounts legal. Since the feds run the border crossings, I'd be surprisd if they knowingly let any pot pass through from Canada.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The amount of money the Canadian and Provincial governments will make on this is staggering. As with most government controlled businesses, follow the money.

In BC, the news is centered on Pot, and keeping the media focused on it minimizes discussions of government lapses, NAFTA, pipelines etc. Saw some comments from the medical community yesterday and they were saying how they couldn’t speak out on the downsides as freely as they’d like because of their employer - the BC government.
With only one legal store ready to go in Kamloops, the BC gov isn't going to get rich any time soon. Business as usual for the ignored, but illegal suppliers. Newfoundland is ready with 24 stores up and running.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
What pisses me off is the black marketeers will still evade taxes and continue money laundering while preaching their moral “high” ground!
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
With only one legal store ready to go in Kamloops, the BC gov isn't going to get rich any time soon. Business as usual for the ignored, but illegal suppliers. Newfoundland is ready with 24 stores up and running.
Right you are. It seems BC wants to closely regulate them and prices, as they do alcohol. In CO the pot shops are ubiquitous and not set up as government entities. So when legalization occurred they were off to the races.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I didn't read the articles but it was my understanding that it is still illegal to bring pot into Canada.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
Guru

What is the issue with this legalization? People who want to smoke weed already smoke weed, no difficulty to find it everywhere. People not interested won’t start to smoke. Overall nothing will change except that money will go in gov wallet instead of hell angels. Benefit will be that this will cut finance source of many criminal org. A recent poll shows that 80% of people here do not care if it is legal or not and won’t start usage because of it.

L
Old 10-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

I think they'll (tax payers) lose millions. Think of the thousands of bureaucrats with government pensions that will be added to control the system. I think the retailers might do ok for a while due to the novelty but they are already selling higher than the street price. The street dealers have not left the country.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I think they'll (tax payers) lose millions. Think of the thousands of bureaucrats with government pensions that will be added to control the system. I think the retailers might do ok for a while due to the novelty but they are already selling higher than the street price. The street dealers have not left the country.

How many people are buying counterfeit cigarette or alcohol because it is cheaper to get contraband? Some for sure, but not the majority. Same will apply for weed. Most of people will prefer to easily go to the nearby store where they will find different products and where quality is controlled instead of taking the risk to deal with a criminal.

L
Old 10-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
How many people are buying counterfeit cigarette or alcohol because it is cheaper to get contraband? Some for sure, but not the majority. Same will apply for weed. Most of people will prefer to easily go to the nearby store where they will find different products and where quality is controlled instead of taking the risk to deal with a criminal.

L
You may want to read this article from CBC on the volume of illegal cigarettes being sold.

I don't smoke weed but a surprising number of older adult acquaintances do and they have been buying from the same dealers for many years. I know two dealers who make a very good living at it. Their homes, families, manner of dress etc. are no different than their neighbours in moderately upscale Mississauga.

You must also recognize the difficulty in obtaining illegal smokes and booze whereas there are long established local weed access infrastructure
Old 10-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You may want to read this article from CBC on the volume of illegal cigarettes being sold.

I don't smoke weed but a surprising number of older adult acquaintances do and they have been buying from the same dealers for many years. I know two dealers who make a very good living at it. Their homes, families, manner of dress etc. are no different than their neighbours in moderately upscale Mississauga.

You must also recognize the difficulty in obtaining illegal smokes and booze whereas there are long established local weed access infrastructure

Like I said, some will use contraband, but not the majority. The article confirm, a third is a lot but not a majority.

L
Old 10-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Like I said, some will use contraband, but not the majority. The article confirm, a third is a lot but not a majority.

L
I believe you are missing the point that in any Ontario City illegal weed is available within a few minutes while illegal cigarettes are a 3hr. round trip for most of Ontario's population.

I believe that factor and the street price being much lower .... illegal pot sales will far surpass the 1/3 of smoke sales.
Don't forget that the legal sales are likely to be hit with the same "sin" tax increases as smokes and booze so every time the government makes another tax grab the illegal market grows.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Re: post #9..."What pisses me off is the black marketeers will still evade taxes and continue money laundering while preaching their moral “high” ground!"

What pisses ME off is the US marijuana producers (the "legal" ones, cough, cough) are raising a stink to the POTUS that Canada is going to corner the market and they (the "legal" producers) are going to loose 'uge sums of $$!

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/1...ef=ca-homepage

So, is this shit illegal or what? WTF!!!!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While I didn't bother to read the article, I'm curious if there's an age minimum or are you going to be having more dopes in school.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While I didn't bother to read the article, I'm curious if there's an age minimum or are you going to be having more dopes in school.

Ted

Minimum age is in theory the same as for alcohol or tobacco, here it is 18 (quebec).

L