Old 05-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #1

City: Portland
Can you help to locate a boat?

Hello,
It seems that finding a passagemaker in my price range (sub 350K) is very daunting indeed. I have N62' dreams(!), or KK48', or Fleming 55' dreams, but not the budget. This boat will be my primary residence here in Asia, and will need to accommodate my wife and two pre-teen children. This means full kitchen, washer/dryer, separate heads, etc. I have considered Seahorse Marines' 52, and while it may be just the ticket, it doesn't feel like a home on the water. Before you mention the DD, i don't really like how much of the living space is like a sailboat -below the water line. Any suggestions from this esteemed crew will be greatly appreciated -and taken with a grain of salt
Thanks in advance!
-Dubnuh
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Have you looked at Selene?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #3

Hi there N4712, I have considered the Selene, but for the years that I could consider, the build quality concerns me.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post
Hi there N4712, I have considered the Selene, but for the years that I could consider, the build quality concerns me.

I'd be more worried about Sea Horse's quality vs the Selene. I believe they're good quality (not great) boats. Hopefully some Selene owners will chime in.

Where do you plan on cruising?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 05-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

Here is a 52' Seahorse
Old 05-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
Guru

I'm not impressed with Sea Horse's boats. They're was a thread awhile ago that showed some dodgy practices that I wouldn't want to be a part of. Just my observation. Why do you need a passage maker?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Curious where you want to take the floating condo to? Is this primarily a residence docked at a marina? Or are you planning on voyaging?

Looking at the boats you are considering, quick search of Yachtworld shows none below 440k. So unless you can beat someone down, you may have to change your expectations.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #8

We still have a few more years of work ahead of us, hence the 'floating condo' but do have the ability for sabbatical, hence the passagemaker. In a few years time, the intent is to head south of the equator, then beyond )

As for the Seahorse concerns, it's good to have the opinions -thanks. I did read the dodgy thread on Seahorse marines poor welding on at least the one boat...not confidence inspiring to be sure.

Looking at the boats you are considering, quick search of Yachtworld shows none below 440k. So unless you can beat someone down, you may have to change your expectations.

Yes, this may well be the hard reality of it.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I'm not impressed with Sea Horse's boats. They're was a thread awhile ago that showed some dodgy practices that I wouldn't want to be a part of. Just my observation. Why do you need a passage maker?
I missed that thread. I'd be interested in reading it. Do you have a link? A quick search didn't find it. I have similar concerns based on a few photos of welds I've seen posted. Downright scary QA/QC.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #10

Hi Northern Spy, I believe this might be the thread.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
Guru

Can you help to locate a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I missed that thread. I'd be interested in reading it. Do you have a link? A quick search didn't find it. I have similar concerns based on a few photos of welds I've seen posted. Downright scary QA/QC.

Here's the link.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...est-17549.html

I'm not impressed with any aspects of they're boats. Be it fuel systems, electrical systems and everything in between.

Here's a picture from that boat that had an explosion or something along that lines.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431138025.607194.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	40012
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 05-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I recall biting my tongue reading that thread. Some inexcusable welds and fitting in those photos. The thought of applying fairing compound to make them "right" made me lol. The undercut and arc strikes where amateur at best.

The OP in this thread seems interested in the fiberglass model so it really isn't worth the thread drift here though.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:37 AM   #13

Increasing my budget somewhat (does that always happen?), I have located the following prospects and would appreciate your feedback.

Fleming 53

Selene 43

Krogen 48

Realising that these boats may not be the specific boats I can end up with, do you have comments or experience related to the models and years in question.

Very appreciated,
Dubnuh
Old 05-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #14
Guru

City: Vermont
When you talk about a "passagemaker", one consideration is range. Flemings are fine boats and have the range for many things, but they are in a very different range class than a Krogen or Nordhavn and I think also Seline. It's worth considering where you actually might want to go, and see what sort of range is required
Old 05-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #15

Yes, absolutely! I know that the Flemings can be a swift trawler when the conditions require, but I am assuming that at a low burn rate commensurate with 6.5-7kNM, the 1,000gal. tankage would take me between most fuel stops. Maybe I'm delusional or misinformed on fuel burn rates?

Edit: I have just realised that Flemings are not mentioned in 'Voyaging Under Power, 4th Ed.'
Old 05-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #16
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
No experience with any of them as they are all above my retirement pay grade. Gee, this kind of sounds like the HGTV of boats.

One key element you haven't mentioned is the sex of your two preteen kids. If they are the same sex, they MIGHT be able to share a cabin. Otherwise, it would dictate a three stateroom boat. That might knock the 43' Selene out of the running.

Kind of hard to get by the 9800 hours on the Cat 3208 on the KK. With that many hours, I don't think I would want to be out in the deep blue without a wing engine. Have read all kinds of numbers on the expected life of these engines but IIRC, the expected life is 12000-15000 hours. If I were making an offer on that boat, would price in a rebuild or repower as reputedly, the 3208 is a throw away engine. From the description, it sounds like the KK is two stateroom also.

The Fleming has two engines and three staterooms. The engine hours are half as high as the KK. The operating costs will be higher than the other two boats but there is some piece of mind in having 2 engines. Also, the Fleming would have less range than the other two vessels. The composition of the fuel tanks isn't mentioned and something that should be looked at.

So, if I had two preteen kids, I would probably be most interested in the Fleming but I like the other two boats a lot. Have seen the Selene from the dock at Fort Pierce and we like it a lot. I am certain we would like the KK too.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #17

I'm certainly willing to entertain offers from Reality TV as long as it ends up covering the cost of the boat!

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to the three stateroom requirement.

I had also incorrectly assumed that the diesels would be good for 20-22,000hrs so that insight is a good one, thanks!
Old 05-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post
Hello,
It seems that finding a passagemaker in my price range (sub 350K) is very daunting indeed. Any suggestions from this esteemed crew will be greatly appreciated -and taken with a grain of salt
Thanks in advance!
-Dubnuh
Questions:
  • Where are you planning on cruising
  • Maximum speed desired
  • Have you traversed a few boat shows in NA
  • What is your previous boating experience
  • Are you a hands on do it your selfer
  • Would a seaworthy vessel with only a 1500 mile range suffice.? If so many doors are then opened
$350K is not realistic for the type of vessels you have noted so far. And, a Fleming 55 is not of sufficient range to do +2000 nm.

How about a KK42?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #19

Questions:
Where are you planning on cruising: We live in Asia -China now, maybe HK or Taiwan in the future, but will cruise primarily in the region.

Maximum speed desired: Speed is not a concern -but fuel economy is.

Have you traversed a few boat shows in NA: No, have not traversed my first boat show -i've been to inland shows, but not with true yachts.

What is your previous boating experience: I crewed as a kid on sail deliveries between FL & the VI, chartered a 52' Carver bare-boat as well as a 42GB bare-boat.

Are you a hands on do it your selfer: Hands-on, yup.

Would a seaworthy vessel with only a 1500 mile range suffice.? If so many doors are then opened: It would suffice in for the next 2-3yrs, but longer term plans include either the Sushi Run from Japan to Alaska, or a southerly route to Australia.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #20

Alright, I'm happy to say that If we stay and cruise for the foreseeable future in the Asian zone,we can passage all the way down to New Zealand without breaking 1300knm. This should mean that as Sunchaser mentioned, many boats should should make the grade. Based on liveability under power, can I say that it must be a full displacement boat, or are SD boats in the mix now too?