Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #21

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Hate to throw cold water on your plans, but have you Seriously looked at ongoing costs of the kind of boat you are thinking of?
Unless you have a Great accountant, right off the bat is the sales tax, $35K; and 10% of that every year recurring. Ongoing maintenance and upgrades ~ $10-20K /yr. Slip fees about $1K a month. Insurance, a few thousand a year. Transient slip fees about $50 a night if you can find them.

Just had not seen this discussed yet and it is a significant amount over the years.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #22
keb

City: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post
Hate to throw cold water on your plans, but have you Seriously looked at ongoing costs of the kind of boat you are thinking of?
Unless you have a Great accountant, right off the bat is the sales tax, $35K; and 10% of that every year recurring. Ongoing maintenance and upgrades ~ $10-20K /yr. Slip fees about $1K a month. Insurance, a few thousand a year. Transient slip fees about $50 a night if you can find them.

Just had not seen this discussed yet and it is a significant amount over the years.

Wow, how much are the sales and use taxes in China, HK, and Taiwan? I would have thought docking, repairs and maintenance were less expensive as well.

Kevin
Portland, OR

keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #23
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Get the Fleming and work until you can afford to keep it.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Beijing, PRC
Hi Delta_JimS, while it's not something I've overlooked, The associated costs of owning a large boat are somewhat ethereal to those of us on the Hard. Would you enlighten me as to your costs in these areas? I am thinking of yearly haul-outs, zinc replacements, monthly slip fees, insurance, boat washing, semi -annual waxing, property taxes, fuel, oil changes, spare parts, Satellite TV and satellite Radio. Can you elaborate on your situation there in California?
In fact, I'd really like to know everyone's expenses in these areas as it is sure to be helpful to all Noob's hoping to make a lifestyle change.
Thanks!
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #25

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Dubnuh,

Sounds like you have it covered; and far deeper pockets than mine.....

As I have been looking at larger boats in the last year, several expenses that were previously not a concern begin to be.
I am a fan of the older Trawlers of heavy, solid fiberglass hulls and considerable teak.
I do my own washing (and occasionally waxing), oil change and engine maintenance; most everything but haul-outs. Fuel is a non-concern with a smaller single diesel. No TV or Sat Comm.

What I am finding with the older, larger boats is the following:
Twin engines = more cost of maintenance and fuel.
Bigger boats are more expensive to buy and thus effect overall Taxes, Docking, and general maintenance. Haul-outs will be near double the cost and harder to find and schedule.
Older, larger boats are Very expensive to insure for loss, almost not practical in my opinion. I would only carry just Liability which includes Environmental damage on a larger, older boat in my price range.

As I re-read your post, yours is intended as a primary residence and thus greatly impacts the calculation. As my Daddy used to say, he was Insurance poor from paying Insurance on everything and never collecting.(he never lived to see SS either....)
I have paid for Insurance for 30 years that I have never collected on. Today I pay full coverage on 4 houses, 2 vehicles and a boat - sure wish I had all that money invested in a good Hedge Fund instead!

Since you are going to live on her as a primary residence, house payments or rent and insurance are not an additional living cost and would be necessary on the boat instead.

Wish you all the best.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #26
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Sea Horse 52

When I started my search for a long range cruiser I fell in love with the layout and rugged build of my Hatteras 48LRC. The Sea Horse 52, which is a different boat than the photo posted has many of the design features of the Hatteras. The hull shape of the Sea Horse is well thought out with a round full midsection and flat aft section that extends to the end of the boarding platform. This give the hull great secondary stability without the rolly polly primary stability of the Nordhavns and KKs. It also gives it a little greater hull speed. The mechanical rigging was excellent, all electrical runs high and in conduit chases. the windows were all fitted for storm glass. I looked at at least four different boats including a twin engined version. One of the boats was in San Diego that had gotten there on it's bottom from China. All were powered with JD engines. The galley is a little tight compared to my Hatteras as is the other staterooms and heads. But very comparable to the KK48 North Sea and superior to the Nordhavn 46. The center master stateroom is by far the best location with a walk around center queen. I would give Salene the nod to workmanship when you talk about interior woodwork. The Sea Horse pretty much on par with KK and Nordhavn. KK has a hull shape that has been well proven and has remained pretty much the same throughout it's range of lengths. Salene has been all over he place with hull shapes. Nordhavn the gold standard has gotten there through incredible marketing. Flemming is a well made complex expensive boat that is way over my pay grade. My old Hatteras is an old well made complex boat, you had better be very handy when you live on a budget and get involved with complex boats. The KK and Sea Horse are simpler boats that in the long run are easier to maintain.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't know what I was thinking, but '80's trawlers are still above my budget
Reality bites
Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 AM   #28
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Kind of hard to get by the 9800 hours on the Cat 3208 on the KK.

I believe there are 7057 hrs on the engine of the KK48 in question.

Dubnah: have you had an opportunity to get on board any of these vessels?

The Fleming is considerably faster than the KK. They are very different vessels. The KK is probably more spacious as it is wider, but I don't recall the Fleming, if I have in fact been on one at one boat show or another.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Hi JDCAVE, We haven't been aboard either, but we'll be doing a roadtrip vacation through New England this summer. The trip should give us plenty of opportunities to get our feet wet on a few.
Now, If I could only get these prices to fall...