Can you get from Jacksonville FL to panhandle without going all the way around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreeBird

I am seriously considering purchasing a trawler in Jacksonville Florida and I live in Apalachicola Florida ( gulf coast , panhandle) . What is the shortest way to get ait from Jacksonville to Apalachicola? Thank you !

Across the Okeechobee waterway is the shortest route... If your draft is low enough.. details on the boat your trying to move may help you get some real help here..

Slight topic drift here, pardon me.
I was in Florida in the early 70s, and a canal was being built from Yankeetown to
The east, probably the St Johns.
Whatever happened to that, I haven’t heard anything about it in over 40 years!

Slight topic drift here, pardon me.
I was in Florida in the early 70s, and a canal was being built from Yankeetown to
The east, probably the St Johns.
Whatever happened to that, I haven’t heard anything about it in over 40 years!

I think you’re referring to the cross state barge canal. It was killed for environmental reasons. Here is a link to the Wikipedia story on it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Florida_Barge_Canal

Thanks for the info.
Just another expensive boondoggle, then.

If completed it would have been another nail in the coffin of the Lake and ‘glades. Thank Marjorie Stoneman Douglas for killing it.

I am seriously considering purchasing a trawler in Jacksonville Florida and I live in Apalachicola Florida ( gulf coast , panhandle) . What is the shortest way to get ait from Jacksonville to Apalachicola? Thank you !

Depending on size, I have a truck. OK, I'm looking at buying a truck.

5d1809e470f302673f4450e5.jpg

Getting back to the original question

What is the shortest way to get ait from Jacksonville to Apalachicola? Thank you !

The Okeechobee Waterway is the shortest, just need to make sure there's enough water. Route 1 is cross lake, route 2 goes around the rim.
USACE Jacksonville District

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom