Old 04-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

City: La Conner
Can a wet cored hull be replaced?

Hello-

My wife and I are looking at 1994 Kadey-Krogen with a cored hull. The coring material is Airex?

IF the hull is wet what are my options? There were only 30 of these yachts manufactured...we only have a dozen on West Coast to choose from.. Wife likes the Whaleback which was made from 1994 to 200? The space is great inside for us.

Can the hull and coring material below the waterline be replaced? Is there anyone in the Anacortes area that I can call to get a rough idea on what this would cost?

Has anyone on this forum had a wet cored hull replaced?

Thanks,

Mike
palasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
There is no reason to replace the core if it’s wet. The beauty of Airex or pvc as a core material is it doesn’t rot under most conditions. If the core is wet, it can be dried out. You need to first though find out how the moisture got into the core. It’s usually through hull penetrations. A marine surveyor can help determine the extent and also suggest a remedy.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
There is no reason to replace the core if it’s wet. The beauty of Airex or pvc as a core material is it doesn’t rot under most conditions. If the core is wet, it can be dried out. You need to first though find out how the moisture got into the core. It’s usually through hull penetrations. A marine surveyor can help determine the extent and also suggest a remedy.
How is the core material dried?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Larry and I both have cored hull KK42’s (mine is hull 90). I don’t lay awake at night worrying about whether it has water intrusion.

Jim
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
What Jim said.

Maybe do a search here on the Forum? Put in “cored hull” and you’ll get a bunch of hits. Don’t freak out but filter through the weeds. If you’re serious about the boat, pursue the it and get a good surveyor. If Matt Harris is still around, hire him or someone from Marine Consultants Inc., Bellingham.

Please keep us posted on your search.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
What Jim said.

Maybe do a search here on the Forum? Put in “cored hull” and you’ll get a bunch of hits. Don’t freak out but filter through the weeds. If you’re serious about the boat, pursue the it and get a good surveyor. If Matt Harris is still around, hire him or someone from Marine Consultants Inc., Bellingham.

Please keep us posted on your search.
Thanks Larry.

I read everything on this forum regarding cored hulls. I just want to make sure a wet hull can be repaired, roughly what it will cost and if there are companies in the PNW that do this work.

My wife and I are moving from East Coast and we have chartered a few big boats and cruised around the San Juans but we do not have any local knowledge on the marine trades around Anacortes and what can be fixed and not fixed. I have seen that boat graveyard on I-5 around Everett? and do not want to make a 500K mistake.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
There is a company in Michigan called Dryboat that dries out cored hulls. Don’t know what their geographic limits are.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
There is a company in Michigan called Dryboat thet dries out cored hulls. Don’t know what their geographic limits are.

I saw this on on internet search and will make some calls next week.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Larry and I both have cored hull KK42’s (mine is hull 90). I don’t lay awake at night worrying about whether it has water intrusion.

Jim
Do you know if KK used solid glass around the thru hull fittings? I found this article very informative.

https://cpyb.net/aws/YBAA/pt/sd/news..._details/false
Old 04-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Scituate
Vessel Model: Morton & Hersloff Webbers Cove 40
You may find this interesting:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ZfZ25zMG1ONlZ3
CptnPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnPete View Post
Holy Smoke..thanks for posting...It looks like the space shuttle heat tiles.. So, is the repair with Airex again or can you just go to solid fiberglass at this point.

I wonder what that cost...
Old 04-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Scituate
Vessel Model: Morton & Hersloff Webbers Cove 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by palasz View Post
Holy Smoke..thanks for posting...It looks like the space shuttle heat tiles.. So, is the repair with Airex again or can you just go to solid fiberglass at this point.

I wonder what that cost...
It looks like they put airex or equivalent back in. I am sure it was not cheap.

FYI - Here is an article on dryboat done on a balsa core: https://www.boatingmag.com/dryboat-t...zXO1w3zO6lT.03

Airex can take water better than balsa i think, so as long as no delamination and no freeze/thaw damage drying out may be all that is needed as some suggest.

Krogens are beautiful boats universally loved by their owners from what I can tell. I think later models went to solid hulls at least below the waterline.
CptnPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Welcome to TF and to the PNW. You’re moving to a boating Mecca with many yards and options for work. Anacortes, Port Townsend, Port Angeles all have highly regarded yards.

It sounds like you’re trying to understand a worst case scenario based on a pre-purchase vessel? I’d recommend contacting the Kadey Krogen folks in South Lake Union for advice and recommendations on preferred yards.

Otherwise, as other have stated, get a good survey.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #14
Guru

City: Anacortes
Pacific fiberglass in Seattle is the outfit I’d call for anything serious with fiberglass. I’ve seen them pull off things others would not even attempt. As a rule, I don’t endorse firms anymore, but I’d still recommend these guys. When my boat was damaged, they put it back together, better than new. They wouldn’t even blink at a job like this, and would be the ones to tell you what it would cost to accomplish by the only folks worth doing it. Normally, this kind of endeavor is a poor idea on a boat you are looking to purchase. Find a way to be cold and impartial.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:

Are you trying to scare him away?? Lol

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Pacific fiberglass in Seattle is the outfit I’d call for anything serious with fiberglass. I’ve seen them pull off things others would not even attempt. As a rule, I don’t endorse firms anymore, but I’d still recommend these guys. When my boat was damaged, they put it back together, better than new. They wouldn’t even blink at a job like this, and would be the ones to tell you what it would cost to accomplish by the only folks worth doing it. Normally, this kind of endeavor is a poor idea on a boat you are looking to purchase. Find a way to be cold and impartial.
Don't worry...we are patient and persistent....I'll wait for a hull after #7 when they went to solid fiberglass. I'm not afraid of projects as long as there are professionals around to fix issues..
Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I also have a KK with a cored hull. Although there are various methods that yards have used to deal with the wet core issue, there are many out there cruising “with” wet hulls. Of course a dry hull is preferable, but if you’re not in a freezing climate, you may never know the difference. I recently driilled my hull, ground out some major blisters, and let it drain for over 100 days. Never got more than an ounce total out of the entire effort. Another owner drains his hull every time he gets a bottom job and tells me he gets about two gallons, but the boat lives in warm water. Still another owner had his hull pealed and vacuum drained, then deluged daily with alchohol for two weeks. When they glassed it back up, moisture was down below 10% (14% is acceptable). Then there’s Osprey Composites in Maryland who kind of developed the technique for Krogen, regularly doing 42’s and Manatees. I got an estimate for peal, dry and re-glass two years ago for over 20K with a five year guarantee. The point is that if you intent is to make a boat with a wet hull perfect, it may take a major money and time investment. If you want to re-seal the through hulls, drill and wait to dry, it might take less $$ but still a bit of time. If you want to enjoy it as is, you probably can, but all the options should still reflect your possible investment. Buying a Krogen with a wet hull is really no big deal if you buy it right to begin with. Find a surveyor who love his hammer and moisture meter, and make sure you know if it is salt water or fresh water intrusion.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #18
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Bloody contour foam
Voids very rarely get filled during the layup.

I have done repairs before where we drilled a 2 inch hole through the skin, removed, fitted vacuum pumps and sucked out several hundred litres of water over a week.
Foam was fine and still attached
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:29 AM   #19
FF
Guru

I do not believe the Airex can get "wet" beyond its surface.It is closed cell.

A wet reading on a meter would indicate the laminate is wet , no big deal, or the lamination of the glass is loose and there is water between the Airex and glass.

Before vacuum techniques were perfected there was always a question on the ability of the hill mfg to ensure the Airex was properly bonded with the outer hull laminate.

One technique to try to find out whats up ( besides a core sample) is to use a tuning fork and listen to the hull.

With no core attached the sound will be very different from the rest of the hull.

If the topsides and bottom sound the same , all should be well.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Palasz
Why not buy a vessel that has a non saturated hull to begin with? It would seem that a wet hull that has not been repaired properly already speaks volumes as to other potential problem areas.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote