Can anyone help me ID this trawler? I'm smitten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forrestsdada

Hi Folks,

This is my first post on this forum. This last weekend, I saw this beautiful trawler anchored off of Sidney Spit State Park on Lopez Island. I thought I would post this pic here to see if anyone has any idea of the manufacturer. I ran this by a fellow boater (and denizen of this board) who thought it might be a converted fishing boat. Sorry for the grainy image, I shot it with my iPhone from the beach.

Trawler.JPG

In full disclosure, I'm not a trawler owner, but I always enjoy seeing them in my travels around Puget Sound. :flowers:

I own the yawl pictured below . I am happy with my boat but every once in a while I see one of these beautiful trawlers and get to thinking....

Kestrelsideview.jpg

Thanks for any insights you might have about the trawler.

Fair Winds,
Tim
s/v Kestrel

Tim, what a magnificent bag of rags you have there. A few more pictures would make me happy! Not sure about the trawler, some Europa design, not a GBs.

Don't fret....A sailboat is just a cramped, uncomfortable but really economical trawler with sails....:thumb:

First thought was an older wood DeFever, but the stern is throwing me.

I don't know what kind of boat it is, but you have posted pictures of 2 beautiful classics. I am a sucker for those.:thumb:

Love the yawl! I'm still a sailor but do see the allure of a nice trawler. What is your yawl?

Kevin

Hi All,
Thank you all for the kind words.

I will have to keep the post about a sailboat being a cramped trawler with sails away from the Admiral, as it would only fan the flames ;-)

The boat is a Cheoy Lee Robb 35 yawl. She was built in 1961 of 1" teak on Ipol frames. I've been slowly upgrading her, system by system since 1997. My plan has been to take care of her until our son (7) wants to take care of her. But then I keep seeing all these gorgeous trawlers...

image-1502536766.jpg

Attachments

• image-4013513650.jpg
    image-4013513650.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 111
My guess is a yacht version of Sunnfjord's out of Tacoma or Park Isle Marine out of Victoria. There are several Ed Monk Sr fishing boat molds in the PNW that have been used for "one ofs." Lovely vessels all, great topic. Tad Roberts would know for sure.

Cutters are nice:

img_160170_0_1c2d2dfbdd487abcc9d3f79c43ff2a62.jpg

Schooners are great:

img_160170_1_788b9e3d5ab9c2a74be83091b6402c91.png

But ketches are classy:

img_160170_2_3fb3854471506d71afa4f52b32f2b517.jpg

Absolutely stunning sailboat! I love most everything Cheoy Lee produced. I am a sailor at heart, and will one day, no doubt revisit. However, when we seriously considered putting some miles under the keel, ironically, trawlers just make sense.

...looks like you have been bitten!

As for the boat,,,don't know, sorry. It's the stern which is throwing us off. It smacks of commercial fishing, and also of something Devlin or Kasten would produce. As others have said, perhaps a one-off. I like it too though. : )

Back
Top Bottom