Old 04-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I did a lot of camping and a lot of sailing

Age plays a roll. At least for me. In the past mountaineering, racing sailboats were my passions. Snow cave, igloos, bevi sacks , lumpy sail mattresses. At 73 my pillow top inerspring mattress, air conditioning and heat are more important. I've spent enough time in a cold cockpit. I want my heated pilot house, sometimes at night I'll go up on the flybridge and stand watch, just to remember how cold it can get, doesn't take long, back to the warmth like a moth to light. I actually slept in a tent last year, on the ground, below freezing, my lady actually stayed warm, thanks to the 8" loft of a good down bag. After that trip I gave most of my gear to my 27 year old daughter, she's in her hey day. Me I'm back on that nice mattress.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Bottom line is, with the right experience, tolerance and equipment....

Pretty meager land or boat camping can be quite comfy.

The trouble is that conditions can quickly change the meager environment for better or worse without a lot of effort put in.

But again, with the right experience...that includes what to take, when and where to go...primitive camping isn't all that uncomfy.

Like a night sleeping under the stars on the beach, right time, place and experience level makes it a pretty nice experience.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #23
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Younger with children, roughing it in both scenarios.

Older now and mostly just the two of us with friends, dinner cruises, longer overnighters... we want more comforts, and zero camping.

For example the Bose Lifestyle system went out last weekend. I just ordered a replacement a few minutes ago!! Can't go without Barefoot Man!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Up until my mid-50s, almost all my camping was done backpacking. Since then, "camping" has been in cabins and Best Westerns.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
My parents started letting me hike solo overnight in the mountains when I was about 12 years old, even in winter. Camping for me is not in a campground.

Sea kayaking was like car camping compared to back packing.

Badger is completely over the top luxuriousness in comparison!
Old 04-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Diesel stove, pump water, teeny tiny fridge. Yup. I'm camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galley.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	51237  
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
You know what's crazy is I used to think that a 2nd head on a small(ish) boat was just a waste of space. Now that I have 2 heads, what a luxury that is. Guests can have their own head or I can still use a head when mama is back there doing what she does to make her pretty(er). So yes, having 2 heads aboard is definitely not camping.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #28

City: CA
Camping? Heck yes. I am 61 and still camp in a small tent on a pad and stumble up and out to pee while gazing at the stars. I have backpacked the Pacific Trail for weeks. My wife, kids and I used to camp for two weeks at 7000 feet every year.

Heck, WifeyB, I bet my three kids were all conceived.......while camping.

Still looking for a boat I can stand up in.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #29

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
I'm pretty content either minimalist or luxury, and have spent a little time in the Sierras in a tent, but I always wanted my wife to share my love of boating. A quote she likes is, "My idea of camping is a night at the Ahwahnee Hotel." Hence the boat with most of the creature comforts...
And I'll admit that one of our best improvements was a new softer mattress! I think I'm getting old!
Old 04-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Heresy.

I think some of the tv and computer love may be generational. I don't know. Growing up we had rabbit ears and 3 snowy stations and I didn't watch because I preferred to be in my bedroom. But since then I'm an addict. NBA playoffs right now. I love to see that. We like to follow our teams. We won't alter our entire schedule to do so. And there are silly shows I love. Shows educated people aren't supposed to like. They're great escape. I'd feel so deprived without tv.

We're on the computer and watching Mystery Diner's we had DVR'ed and eating a light lunch. We're chilling today and tomorrow since we head back north to the boat this weekend.
Wifey,
I don't have a problem w TV on an i-pad or laptop. I never watch TV on either ... I'm talk'in about a flat screen on the bulkhead. I watch plenty of TV and can't be a minimalist there. What I meant was if one spends a lot of time on a boat doing other stuff perhaps tons of money is being wasted on the boat?

But why would'nt one be on deck or reading a cruising guide about where you're going, honeing your skills on radar or other boating related things?

Actually the only thing that irritates me re this issue is fads and pop stuff that exists only because it's cool at the time.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #31

We're kind of with WifeyB on the TV issue for the same reason--following sports teams. It doesn't interfere with cruising, and provides some entertainment on a cold dark night.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #32
Guru

City: West Coast
Until I met my wife, my camping was always primative, basically back packing. I was happy to learn that my wife's (then girlfriend's) family were active campers, at least until I learned that their definition of camping was going to a campground. I tried it a few times by had very little interest.
As for boating, my practice had always been analogous to primitive camping, but with the convenience of a cooler and water. My wife became dissatisfied with the lack of amenities, so I went through a succession of boats. Our current boat has all of the comforts of home (except no Jacuzzi) and we are both happy.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Refrigerator...stove...that's definitely upscale camping.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Until I met my wife, my camping was always primative, basically back packing. I was happy to learn that my wife's (then girlfriend's) family were active campers, at least until I learned that their definition of camping was going to a campground. I tried it a few times by had very little interest.
As for boating, my practice had always been analogous to primitive camping, but with the convenience of a cooler and water. My wife became dissatisfied with the lack of amenities, so I went through a succession of boats. Our current boat has all of the comforts of home (except no Jacuzzi) and we are both happy.
Hey MYTraveler--just an idea for the Jacuzzi: hang in the water off the bow and turn on your thruster--then you've got it all!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #35
Guru

Wifey B: Ok, for a moment...a question. Let's say we were interested in "camping" but to us that was a nice motorhome. Sort of like Phil Fill. Would we really be able to see the beauty that campers crave in one or would we be limited to large RV parks? On a boat you can use a dinghy/tender to get where the boat can't. So to match that do you have a four wheeler or something behind the Motorhome? Or get a Motorhome built with a garage. How would you go about seeing the stuff you couldn't in the Motorhome. And while motorcycles may be on your list, I like my skin and not about to get on one of those things.

As aside. Klondike bars are very messy. When you eat one you should always have someone beside you to help with the clean up.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #36
Guru

City: gulf coast
sailed to small islands in the bay, set up pup tent strutted for clams and was king.

standards are a bit higher now.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
sailed to small islands in the bay, set up pup tent strutted for clams and was king.

standards are a bit higher now.
A lot of this is where people grew up it seems. We're both city kids. The jungle was concrete. Parks were modest. The lake I grew up spending time on was very nice but there was no reason to camp. I was hours from the nearest coast. Now mountains weren't quite as far and I think that's where all the Boy Scout Troops went.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I have done most types of camping from being a Boy Scout to my Airstream Trailer. I have run the gamut on boats from camping on a 21' cuddy cabin to my present boat. I still like both.

Just yesterday I drove 250 miles over to and through the Cherorkee National Forest looking for dispersed camping spots along the mountain trout streams. Much of it on unpaved forest roads. The spots have be large enough for clearances for my trailer. I don't tent camp anymore. The trailer even when camping off grid has it all. Heat/Air (air is not needed in the mountains), stall shower, inverter, 2 TVs for football, and a generator when needed. Not exactly roughing it, but off the grid camping is what suits me. In summer of 2017 we have scheduled a trip through the Rocky Mountain high country off grid above the 9000' elevation.

Anchoring or on a mooring off grid is where I am happiest on my boat. My boat and my camper are home to me.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #39
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I love camping of any type. I've camped in Canada in winter, building a cedar bough lean-to in minus 30 degrees. I do a lot of backcountry alpine touring on skis. Camping to me, is living with what you can carry on your
your back.

So, now it seems that spending a week on my simple little boat (in the eyes of some) is 5 star luxury compared to camping.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
That's not my definition of camping. Camping means sleeping on the ground! And ice means a snowfield, and water is from a lake or stream via a filter.