Camp Lejeune Closure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
Is the ICW at Camp Lejeune effectively shut down for this period or is transit possible? I notice that the range north of the bridge doesn't seem to be active for this exercise. Seems like it would be possible to arrive at the bridge at 1700 and spend the night in Mile Hammock Bay or the marinas just past. Crowding might be an issue. I'd like to hear from anyone who has transited during one of these exercises.

NC – ATLANTIC INTRACOASTAL WATERWAY – CAMP LEJEUNE – SAFETY ZONE
The Coast Guard is establishing a temporary Safety Zone on all waters of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway between Mile Hammock Bay and Onslow Beach Swing Bridge between 10 Oct and 30 Oct 2017 from 7 AM to 5 PM for a military training exercise. Vessels may not enter, remain in or transit through the Safety Zone during the enforcement period unless authorized by the Coast Guard Captain of the Port, or designated patrol personnel on scene.

Most military ranges I know of let you know before you enter.

So even if the calendar says its hot, the local authority, range towers, warning signs or patrol vessels/helos actually will prevent you from entering if hot.

We got stuck there once. A boat that left the anchorage before we did got through but we were stuck with a few other boats.

They did let us through at noon.

Somewhere, there is a phone number for whoever is in charge of the base and if you can find the number you can call and get the information you need.

CG CG CG this is vessel moonbeam, request transit your safety zone (locality) over.
They will either deny or allow it, but don't try it without asking!

I was on the USMC range in K-bay Hawaii several times and had to wait HOURS for a yacht to move that was some miles away. Beatiful view over the ocean, but we had dozens of Marines and contractors waiting in the hot sun to resume testing.

CG CG CG this is vessel moonbeam, request transit your safety zone (locality) over.
They will either deny or allow it, but don't try it without asking!

It's the Marines that close the ICW, not the USCG. They have boats that will do 60 MPH and they have guns. Big guns.

The ICW passes through their property in that area and when they say it's closed, it's closed.

Last edited:
Yes but like bridges, the USCG controls navigable waterways and their openings and closures.

With the Camp Lejune ICW issue, it is an open ended restriction so the USMC just has to announce closure...but the USCG is usually in tune with the closure and will facilitate passage if possible.

It's the Marines that close the ICW, not the USCG. They have boats that will do 60 MPH and they have guns. Big guns.

The ICW passes through their property in that area and when they say it's closed, it's closed.

The Coast Guard is in control, read the last quote in post #1.
Military vessels (warships) are notoriously hard to contact while playing their games, I'm guessing that they are under severe communications restrictions when on maneuvers.
The proper contact is through the Coast Guard.
If you have contact with the Marines, its likely you have already fkd up.

This is from last year, but it has been the same for quite awhile.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/nav-alert/4-5410/nc-camp-lejeune-offshore-and-icw-firing-range

"Vessels are urged to avoid the above area during the periods stated except for the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway, where mariners traveling through this area can expect a delay of about one to four hours during the below times. Range Control Boats, MCIE-MCB CamLej North Carolina monitor Channel 16 VHF-FM (156.8 MHz) and the working Channel 82 VHF-FM (161.725 MHz). Range Control can be reached by phone at 910- 451-3064 or 4449.

2. The restricted areas in the Atlantic Ocean East of the New River Inlet as shown on National Ocean Service Chart 11543, will be closed to navigation because of firing exercises during the following periods:

Atlantic Coast Sector Live Fire Operations
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm** Daily*** (USS Ship-Naval Gunfire)*
8:00 a.m. to 10:00 pm Daily (Stinger Missiles and ranges)

Atlantic Coast Sector Non-Live fire operations
12:01 a.m. to Midnight* Daily*** (USS Ship-Maneuvering)"

Last edited:
The Coast Guard is in control, read the last quote in post #1.
Military vessels (warships) are notoriously hard to contact while playing their games, I'm guessing that they are under severe communications restrictions when on maneuvers.
The proper contact is through the Coast Guard.
If you have contact with the Marines, its likely you have already fkd up.

If you say so, but here is the information from Active Captain:

Due to live firing exercises, ICW can be shut down for 1-2 hours at a time. Navy guard boats will stop you from entering from the north or south. Drop the hook and wait for the all-clear. Hail the Navy Guard Boat (if present) on channel 16 for details.

The guard towers that mark the boundaries are visible on the north side of the ICW from just north of G61 to just south of G58.

The Range Control Officer can be reached by phone if you'd like to ask questions about the live firing area. A variety of phone numbers have been published - they appear to change at times. The best numbers to try are: 910-451-3064, 910-451-4449, 910-451-1235, and 910-451-3065.

My personal experience is pretty much this. Navy patrol boats and the bridge tender informed us about the closing. One of the boats in front of us had already contacted the base commander by telephone. There were no Coast Guard boats present at any time.

All the east coast cruising guides include this same information about the area.

For this and other navigational and orientation to an areas issues , I always suggest subscribing to (sent by email), or just looking up the area's weekly Local Notice to Mariners, from which these Waterway Guide and other newsletter alerts are derived. In this case District 5

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lnmMain

By the way, the above live firing situation also comes into play when taking the ocean route between Beaufort Inlet and Masonboro or beyond.

Last edited:
For this and other navigational and orientation to an areas issues , I always suggest subscribing to (sent by email), or just looking up the area's weekly Local Notice to Mariners, from which these Waterway Guide and other newsletter alerts are derived. In this case District 5

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lnmMain

By the way, the above live firing situation also comes into play when taking the ocean route between Beaufort Inlet and Masonboro or beyond.

Great point regarding offshore safety zone. If I recall, it extends 15NM offshore.

Let me realate my experiences with ICW blockages near Camp Lajune. After arriving at Mile Hammock Bay at about 5:00 PMI was booted out due to some exercise going on in the bay which was unrelated to the ICW closure further up which I was unaware of.

So I headed up the ICW hoping to make the anchorage at Swansboro before dark. I was stopped just north of the Onslow swing bridge by a Navy patrol boat who told me that there was a live fire exercise going on further up and I would have to hold up. The ICW was wide at that point and the Navy guy said I could stay there all night anchored if I wanted to. So I dropped the hook and made dinner and watched the action.

Marines bailed out of airplanes overhead and I saw amphibious craft rush down the ICW in front of me. Firing was intense at times. Then a couple of hours later the patrol boat called and said I could continue through if I wanted to. It was dark by then and I wasn't thrilled about continuing up the ICW in the dark but I wasn't keen on staying in the middle of the ICW on the hook all night either.

So I hauled anchor and set the radar on very short range and set the chartplotter for a radar overlay. Then I slowly made my way forward under a new moon, ie no moonlight. It worked ok and I got to Swansboro where I dropped the anchor working almost blind with just the chartplotter and radar overlay to guide me.

I must say it worked amazingly well as I moved up the ICW to see the next marker up ahead on the plotter, note that the radar return matched and then when I got within 50 yards I could finally see the marker exactly where the electronics said it would be. They all jived within about 20 feet which was plenty to stay in safe water.

That was an experience I would not willingly repeat, but when you gotta go you gotta go.

Back to the OP. I suspect that the CG announces a blanket closure of the ICW but the Navy patrol boats really define when and where the ICW is closed. The exercise I was in lasted maybe a couple of hours. If I was able to anchor at Mile Hammock it wouldn't have affected me at all.

David

Last edited:
I just confirmed the 15nm range based on the latest LNM:

"...Marine Corps Installations East-Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, Live firing and training:
The restricted areas in the Atlantic Ocean east of the New River Inlet as shown on National Ocean Service chart 11543, will be closed to navigation up to 15 NM seaward because of firing exercises..."

Back
Top Bottom