Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #21

RE: California recreational (fishing boat) overturns - 4 (all onboard) drown.

Very sad story, and my condolences to the family, and you Per.

Looking at the pictures, I am not sure I would rule out an explosion so quickly - I believe there have been instances of propane, natural gas, or perhaps even gasoline explosions were the explosion was so violent that it "blew itself out" and simply exploded - with out setting fire or scorching much of the materials. Could it be that there was a gasoline tank leak, and then a sudden spark (bilge pump?) ignited the vapor, blowing the deck off the boat?

Just my 2 cents.

7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

Looking at the pictures, I am not sure I would rule out an explosion so quickly - I believe there have been instances of propane, natural gas, or perhaps even gasoline explosions were the explosion was so violent that it "blew itself out" and simply exploded - with out setting fire or scorching much of the materials. Could it be that there was a gasoline tank leak, and then a sudden spark (bilge pump?) ignited the vapor, blowing the deck off the boat?

Just my 2 cents.
Explosion in a small open boat???* Possible but VERY unlikely...plus the damage is consistent with tearing apart along weak spots..I would bet it wasn't an explosion.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #23
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
*Would the bodies would*not show evidence of an explosion.* If not burns fracutres.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
California recreational (fishing boat) overturns - 4 (all onboard) drown.

I had a 19 foot boat*with a Volvo I/O, Ford 302 V8, cuddy cabin, it was light and very fast.**At high speed on flat water it had a tendency to start porpoising.* I sold it*and the new owner thought the porpoising was fun.** He did it once to often,*flipped the boat throwing them both into the drink.* Fortunately, they had a quick rescue*and they survived with a broken arm, bumps and bruises.*

The boat was a total and came apart much like in that picture.* It ended up an empty hull with the deck and house broken up and ejected from the hull.* The engine is still somewhere on the bottom of Padilla Bay.

I know we're all speculating and hard to imagine that kind of damage, but clearly whatever caused it was catostraphic and quick.*

Larry B

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Saturday 17th of March 2012 11:13:31 AM
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

I must ask, for nothing more than to put potentials to rest.* Was the fourth person ever located or accounted for?* If so and they too passed then God rest their soul.* But, we just never know of the unscrupulousness that can at times occur.*
The looks in wrecked boat picts that Per provided allow for no easy answer to cause of accident.* Actually, the picts details look very odd.* Figuring that seafaring Captains placing input into this Forum thread, each with at least a couple to a few decades of water craft experience, have reached no plausible explanation for this calamity... leads me to wonder... is there an explanation that may be only recognized by an intelligently planned perpetrator.* Not meaning to place any undue dark cloud on the departed souls of the boats occupants... just asking???* As in all worldly things, somewhere there is an answer to be found.
Side note: As it appears it may have been a form of explosive force that blew the top off the boat, and it seems in an open boat as such that propane or gasoline fumes would be unlikely, as well as there appears no burn streaks inside the hull on Pers picts, were they divers that had over charged tanks that for some unknown reason suddenly exploded?* Affixed dynamite or*plastic explosive item??* I understand one boat occupant had Navy Seal training, was that one of the recovered?

And, the search goes on!* This grievous calamity, if occurring from an innocent mistake/error, needs to be figured out so we remaining seafarers can be careful to never allow its repeat.* If not from mistake or error, then justice needs to be served.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #26
Guru

California recreational (fishing boat) overturns - 4 (all onboard) drown.

Here...I'll post it again....

You can't make ANY assumptions based on what I have seen.. other than expolosion/fire ruled out. An upside down boat towed any length of time in choppy seas will be all torn up or it mat have come apart in trying to reright it...and it looks like it was drug up the ramp.

Having towed quite a few in my job as an assistance tower only an on scene observer or some kind of collision marks will give us a clue. Yeah...if someone does a thorough materials analysis...we might get more info but depending on the jurisdiction authority and their experience/effort in this case...we may never get any more.

-- Edited by psneeld on Saturday 17th of March 2012 10:42:22 AM
Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Art one of the articles said the fourth person was seen from a helicopter but when the boat got there to retrieve the body it could not be found.**Stop reading so many mystery novels.* *

It is a good idea to keep a handheld VHF attached to yourself or your PFD so if you do end up in the drink you call for help.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Between Scott's and Jennifer's conclusive*posts*I guess the problem as to what happened to the boat and all four aboard*is all but officially*solved.* Can hardly wait to read the actual*report... if it becomes available. - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Art wrote:
Between Scott's and Jennifer's conclusive*posts*I guess the problem as to what happened to the boat and all four aboard*is all but officially*solved.* Can hardly wait to read the actual*report... if it becomes available. - Art
*Please reread my posts...I wasn't making any assumptions...I just was pointing out that the damage shown in the picture could be from another source that I am EXTREMELY famililiar with in my current job.

I am also a certified accident investigatior (my last job in the USCG was Head of USCG Aviation Safety) so I could do an official investigation...but I certainly don't make assumptions based on newspaper reports or a few internet photos.